Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-22-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
I was wondering if anyone has used a Super Fly High? and if so, what they thought of it. We only use ours for barefooting. Upload
Upload
Old     (151)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-24-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
I want one
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-24-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
I do too.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
Wow this sure started out different than this

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=77002
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-24-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
its used more for a learning tool, to learn new tricks at slower speeds, and give a little more hang time and soft landings. Id imagine it would act more as a giant lever pulling the boat each way the rider goes
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-24-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
krbaugh - ah yes the double post 2 step. It is kind of annoying but interesting nonetheless.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-24-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
I'd be more than a little wary of that thing. I would bet that towers are simply not built to handle that lever arm and the excess moment it put's on the tower.

Double the height = double the force on your tower.

Just sayin.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-24-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
Flux, the same thing was said about towers several moons ago. But I agree - some boats & setups just won't tolerate this, especially with big people and hard pulls to the side (not to mention falls that yank hard on the tower if the rider hangs on too long). Those arguments sound so familiar don't they? Aftermarket towers + this = more potential trouble.

I'd still feel safe putting it on my Super Air's FCT, and would love to try it. I think it could be a phenomenal training aid.
Old     (151)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-24-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
Training for me would be sweet. But can you imagine what R harris could do with that thing?
Old     (jamieb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-24-2008, 10:53 PM Reply   
I'd like to see it used at double-up comps. I was at one last year and guys were missing handle passes because the rope would get jerked down and away from them. An extra 7 feet of tower would have seen a few more spins landed.

Having said that, with the way its likely to tip the boat over and shrink the wake when you cut back in, I'm not sure its a worth while trade off.
Old     (151)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-25-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
Please somebody get stupid with one of these then post it. videos would be smooth water.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-25-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
we have had a person sit up in the superflyhigh and run the video(don't let the CG or Sherriff see you!) its like you are a wing walker, standing on top of the tower, gives a great video angle. anyway we have tried to pull the boat over and can't, turned it sharp with a 200lber who does not let go of the handle and it still does not get anywhere near pulling the boat over.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-25-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
yeah Erik, I am with you. Just pointing out something that may be not so obvious. I would venture a guess that most towers are way overbuilt for safety and liability concerns. you can pull two riders on them, so they would probably handle the extension fine with ONE rider.

I'd say if you use one, just keep an eye on your tower mounts and welds.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-25-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
Everything Andy said seems really smart.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-25-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
I still have my Stiffy Tower for sale. $300 + shipping.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-25-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
so none of you have seen how a BI/Flyhigh crossbar tower works? its also stainless steel...a bit stronger than aluminum, i am impressed with how rigid it gets, there is hardly any movement of the tower, no noise, no clanking, no rattling, the whole setup is solid...but all folds down below the windshield. the tower has hidden turnbuckles inside the cross bars that let you tighten up the tower Both front to rear and side to side, so that it does not wiggle or move at all. does ANYBODY on the west coast have one? Either the tower or the tower extension? I think I have the only one out in Calif. I have not seen any out here, I know they are using them in FL. and the midwest, If you see us out in the delta we'll give you a pull just come ask.

(Message edited by bftskir on July 25, 2008)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-25-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
spam!

either way, i'd save the $1k+ and master fundamentals instead. then you won't need that gizmo.
Old     (151)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-25-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
I still want one. Does anyone remember like 6 years ago some guys rode behind a big tuna boat or yacht or something? I think it was in a video maybe just a mag article.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-25-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
well i don't know what its like for wakeboarding either, but i know what its like for barefooting and its a lot of fun. here is some videos my footin friend put together. he nails his first longline backdeep on the superflyhigh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvbBvWWOWt8
watch all 9, they're pretty good barefoot videos
Old     (151)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-26-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
Joe I get your point. But what if a guy with skills, such as yourself, used that thing? I am not saying it should be used in comps or all the time or anything like that but come on every body you all know that thing would be fun as all get out for a while.

I don't guess they make one for the illusion?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-27-2008, 11:43 PM Reply   
Stiffy Tower!Upload
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
please explain the stiffy tower, looks like a wakeboarding sailboat
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-28-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
That is the future of wakeboarding with the current gas price trend

(Message edited by jay_g on July 28, 2008)
Old     (justnparadise)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
From another website:

Roeseler, a co-inventor of the modern Kiteboard, began work on the Stiffy Tower nearly two years ago in search of a way to get bigger air so he could do the tricks he was used to doing while Kiteboarding. The result is the Stiffy Tower (patent-pending), a 10-foot extension designed to fit most standard wakeboard towers. It elevates the towrope attachment to nearly 20 feet above water for more lift and hang-time. The stabilizer sail uses the headwind to keep the boat level when the rider pulls to one side. More side force applied by the rider gives the stabilizer more bite and more corrective force. This keeps the boat safe, level and on course. The rider feels the benefits of the high pull point, and the stabilizer keeps the boat from tipping.
Old    livin_n_sv211            07-28-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
Sometime ago I was marvelling at that link in the thread 'pics of trick and names' to Wakeboard Singapore:

http://www.wakeboard.com.sg/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=84&st=0#entry88

What a surprise that there was such a scene in Singapore. Still, I noticed that in several of the pictures, their tow ropes seem to extend to much higher attachment points than seven feet or so. This was seemingly evident in the pictures of the raley variations. For example, picture sequences which appear to show this include '911 - Yunos Yusop' or 'Tail Glide - Aye' (and so on, there are others too).

Does anyone know or can determine if those riders are using a tower extension?
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
that thing looks ridiculous
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-29-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
That thing is ridiculous.

It must be great at low speed when the wind starts pushing your boat all over the place.
You go to pick up your fallen rider and a gust of wind can turn the boat right into him.
Old     (151)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-29-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
I think electric light is ridiculous
. I mean the sun provides all the light we could ever need in one day.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-30-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
still the question remains who has ridden a Tower Extension aka Super Fly High?
Upload
Old     (pickles)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-30-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
Nah never used one. Never seen one before this thread. haha this thread is alot less violent than the wkeboarder.com one.
I would be keen to see what some people could do behind one of these things. not barefooting of course cause that is for lol. just kidding. show some wakeboard pics using the stiffy.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-13-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
last sunday I barefooted through about 5 wakeboarding boats and their wakes and wash, left them all with mouths wide open. longline on the superflyhigh. then we went back to our glassy little corner of the delta to do some high boom side sliding.
Upload
Upload
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
How about a 57 frame back roll on a SkySki behind a 2003 Cal-Air with stock ballast & a cheater tower?

Ferney does huge rolls with big wakes too. But not that big behind a Cal-Air!!
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-13-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
Yeah I sure their mouths were just gaping. "Behold the awsomeness of barefooting"
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-13-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
Just messing with ya a little bit
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-13-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
Don't worry I can take it, I see and hear the reactions we get from boaters so I know they like to see it. Normally we ski in places too narrow for wakeboarding and only have the fishermen as our audience.

and there is definitely an awesomeness to wakeboarding. making something that is extremely difficult look EASY is pretty awesome.