Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jdubsMD)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-06-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
Trying to get the stereo set-up so that we can hear it while we are riding but I'm not very stereo savy and am having trouble. The main problem is that the tower speakers are cutting out at higher volumes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for adjusting the head unit or the amps to get the stereo as loud as possible?

No upgrades, just the factory sony and mtx equipment that comes with the Vandall edition.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-06-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
I don't know of any non HLCD speakers that will project the sound out to a rider. I have the same speakers and they sound good around the boat but will not project the sound out to the rider.
Old     (CUZICAN)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-06-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
I have a Vandall Edition also and mine does the same thing. I have a buddy that owns a stereo shop I will try and talk to him about it............
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-06-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
Gentlemen.. I had a Liquid Trends box of 6 6.5 polks on my tower non HCLD speakers and they were the loudest I have heard in a long time. And yes you can hear them as you ride.
Old     (jdubsMD)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-06-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
Thanks Younger. One of my buddies was up the other weekend and spent half an hour or so playing with the amps and had them working great and then we had a short that the dealer fixed but messed with the amp settings. So I'm sure it can be done. Unfortunately, he's unable to come back up for a couple of weeks.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-06-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
I can hear the tower speakers no problem behind the axis I ride behind every week. Volume at 25 and the lows set to +5db mids to +6db and highs to +7db. Also it has the speaker package 2 that I am pretty sure is identical to the vandall set up. 4 MTX tower speakers a couple amps and a sub in the dry storage and MTX speakers throughout the boat. All factory.

Last edited by bruizza; 07-06-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added content
Old     (jdubsMD)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-06-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Bruizza,
Yeah, I believe it's the same. Curious as to how you're getting that much sound at only 25. What adjustments have you made to the amps and/or the head unit?
Thanks
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-06-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
I have no idea what adjustments have been made to the amps. It is a friends boat and I just messed with the settings on the radio. I can try and crawl in there this week and see where the amp gains are set.
Old     (jdubsMD)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-06-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
That would be great. Appreciate it.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-06-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
I would be very interested to know what settings are in your friends boat. We are not even close to hearing the sound (same speaker package) clearly while riding .
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-06-2010, 1:31 PM Reply   
I will jump in there first chance I get and see what they are.
Old     (Dizzzy)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-06-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
I had the same problem with my Sanger tower speakers, turns out that happens when my battery is low. I have two batteries and usually only run off of one battery. When my tower speakers start to cut out, I flip the perko switch to both batteries, and the problem is all fixed.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-13-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
Okay so after picking up our 2010 axis over the weekend I noticed some differences. In Jdameron's 09 axis I only have to turn the volume up to 25 to be able to hear the tower speakers while riding. In ours I have to turn it up to about 45 to be able to hear them. I checked our amps and the gains are turned about 2/3s of the way up. I will be out on Janelle's boat either tonight or Thursday so I will check her settings then. Her boat has a sony head unit just like ours but it is obviously a year older. I have no idea why it would change so much in one year. Hell at 25 on our boat it isn't even that loud when just sitting in a cove.
Old     (AndrewP)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-19-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
Heat causes amps to shut down in order to protect themselves. There are a couple of things that cause heat. Voltage at amp too low, ohm load at speaker terminals of amp too low or distortion. Voltage - A lot of times if you are running subs, when you crank the volume the subs will take most of the voltage hence dropping the voltage of the other amps and they will cut off or clip. Ohm load - 2/4 channel amps will only handle down to a 2 ohm load at the speaker terminals. Check that you have 2 ohms or higher. This can be changed depending on how you wire the speakers. The most common reason for an amp to shut down or clip is distortion. Never turn your bass up on your radio, keep it at zero or less. Bass is for subs and when you turn up the bass on the radio it puts bass in your mids and highs. For more bass turn up your sub amp gain. Your amp for your tower speakers could be turned up too high as well causing excessive distortion.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-19-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizza View Post
Okay so after picking up our 2010 axis over the weekend I noticed some differences. In Jdameron's 09 axis I only have to turn the volume up to 25 to be able to hear the tower speakers while riding. In ours I have to turn it up to about 45 to be able to hear them. I checked our amps and the gains are turned about 2/3s of the way up. I will be out on Janelle's boat either tonight or Thursday so I will check her settings then. Her boat has a sony head unit just like ours but it is obviously a year older. I have no idea why it would change so much in one year. Hell at 25 on our boat it isn't even that loud when just sitting in a cove.
Call your dealer! Axis has been really great at working with their customers to resolve issues.
On my boat (2/2010 A22) when the dealer was prepping the boat after delivery, he noticed that 3 of the 4 tower speakers sounded like sh*t, so he pulled them out of the housing to find that the bolts used to mount the housings to the clamps were way too long, and had run up into the back end of the speakers and wasted them. He got 3 new speakers and shorter bolts to fix the issue. This was all done b4 I even picked up the boat, but he explained the issue to me. The Stereo 2 package in our boat, is very load and tight! I only made some minor tweaks to the head unit to get the sound I wanted, but in iPod mode, the thing cranks! I can crank it up to 55 and it sound really clear and strong. I usually run it at 30 when riding behind the boat.

any how, give your dealer a call or pull the speakers out of the housings, one at a time and check the back ends and the lengths of the bolts? this could be the issue. My boat was mfg. in Feb 2010 and we picked it up in March 2010. Hope this helps-
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-19-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
We actually had an issue with one of our amps and our dealer has already ordered the replacement so it will be here either late this week or early next week. They are going to install the new amp when we take it in for the 20 hour service. The dealer (Tommy's in Denver) has been freaking awesome through everything.

Wade which head unit do you have? We also have stereo package 2 in ours and the head unit only volume only goes up to 50. It is loud as **** at about 45 and I have no problems when riding hearing it at 45. Just curious which HU you have since you can turn it up to 55.

Last edited by bruizza; 07-19-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added content
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-20-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
(bruizza) my bad... I meant 45 on the volume, not 55! I have the Sony HU that comes with stereo 2, I checked yesterday, and mine also only goes to 50... Way too loud for me!

PS; nice color choice! I think you and I are the only grey ones that I have seen yet?

Last edited by wade_lewark; 07-20-2010 at 4:16 PM.
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-20-2010, 5:16 PM Reply   
I like the grey color scheme. The one that we looked at at the Minneapolis boat show had that same scheme, so there's at least one more out there. We ALMOST ordered the same, but decided on black/white instead.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-21-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
Thanks Wade I was wondering if you had swapped out your HU or something. It is so weird we only turn the volume up to 25-30 on Jdameron's axis. Hell she was coming to pick me up from the dock yesterday and I could hear her boat from 200yds away. She has an 09 though and Sony must have made some significant changes. I noticed there is a removable panel in her dry storage that you can take down and pop up the chillax seats and the subwoofer SLAMS! Kind of wish ours had that piece.

Thanks on the color compliment. Can't wait to get the windows tinted like you did, it makes it look that much better. It just so happened that was the color of the only one in stock at the local dealer and it just so happened to have every option we wanted.