Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-31-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
I am looking to take trip this next semester of school. I don't have a lot of free time so I can only go one spot. My buddy works at McCormicks cable park in florida and My cousins live on Canyon Lake in california. I have never been to either and it would be for about a week.
If you had choice where would you go.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-31-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
I think McCormicks will be far warmer... the cable is pretty fun and under the find a third forum there are a lot of Tampa guys who seem super nice and I'm sure you could get a boat set or something as long as you throw down for gas
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-31-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
I don't think they weight the boat at McCormicks and it is a very short pass (for skiing and jumping) so if you are looking to get behind a big wake, that is something to look into. They have a 220 and when i asked them about it they said it is too big for the pass.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-31-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
not sure if mccormicks is "far warmer" than canyon lake, if "next semester" is anytime after may. it sure does get hot in the inland empire, with temps regularly in the 90s and 100s.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-31-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
I would assume since he said a week he is talking about Spring break... so we're talking march

Canyon Lake:
The average winter temperature is 51.9 degrees F.
The average spring temperature is 61.1 degrees F.

water - most likely colder

Tampa
Jan 70.1°F
Feb 71.6°F
Mar 76.3°F

*the water in FL now is about 70*.... not to bad, and I remember reading on the Canyon lake wakeboard club website they were SHOCKED that the water temps were 70 at the start of summer

Seems to be "far warmer" to me.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-31-2008, 9:54 PM Reply   
I rode McCormick's today by the way with just a heater top. It was cold for the first fall then I was warm enough that I wanted to take it off, but I kept in on because of wind. In Tampa during January and February depending on the lake the water can slip into the 50s. I consider January and February off season for Tampa/Orlando area. OWC gets colder than any lake in Florida, and I have no idea why and McCormick's I have a feeling might be the same way.
If you are going to go to a camp in Florida, I would go to the The Wakeboard Camp, O-town, or The Boarding School or the Projects. You are 20 minutes from odub and now 45-hour from McCormick depending on traffic and you are going to have world class coaching and much more of a "camp" atmosphere. McCormick's is in the middle of the boonies, children of the corn style lol, but today was me, 3 of my crew and two wakeskaters. Safe to say, you will always get butter at McCormick's.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-01-2009, 12:18 AM Reply   
average spring temperature for canyon lake in the spring is more like in the 80s. i ride there.
Old     (coz)      Join Date: May 2008       01-01-2009, 5:21 AM Reply   
Canyon Lake is small and good for the first pass then it chops out, add a couple boats and you'll have more fun in the pacific ocean than canyon lake.
My family had a house there for 30 years so yes I've been there a few times.
Go Florida!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-01-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
The backwater has really good conditions but you take turns with other boats, and nearly get run over by jet-skis at the far end. Definitely some really cool folks that live there too.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-01-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
Tim! Man I still get bummed when I think about that jet skier. Glad to report that we didn't have to deal with any kind of stuff like that since. Been pretty nice back there lately, I guess some people stayed home when gas prices were so high. Hey, Happy New Year to ya!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-02-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
You too! Thanks again for the pull!
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-02-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
As far as going to Florida or Cali, i would choose Cali all day but i live in Florida so........

If you choose to come down here just let me know and I would be glad to take you out so you could do cable at McCormicks and come take boat set as well.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-02-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
I live in Cali and have lived in florida.

Go to the cable! You will get way more ride time!
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-05-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
Hey who is your friend that works there? I'm guessing teven?
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-05-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
By the way I just rode yesterday here in tampa in just boardshorts and I hate cold water so my vote would be Tampa!
Old     (wakemastercraft)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-05-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
who is your friend that works there??
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-05-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
2nd still riding in just board shorts. You gotta love it. Weather is supposed to be 79 tomorrow so will be trunking it again which is kinda crazy for Jan. but water is still 70.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-14-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
For sure go to the cable....one less boat in the backwater
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-15-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
Looks like I am going to Mccormicks on the 5th of March.
I went to school with Tevin and Chance is one of my best friends.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-15-2009, 6:47 PM Reply   
Awesome man!!! Tevin and Chance are good people I'll see ya there!!!!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-15-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
WHEW!!!! No seriously....have a great time.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-15-2009, 7:43 PM Reply   
I will make the trip to canyon lake during the summer.