Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (TNWake)      Join Date: May 2013       06-11-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
Hey all,

Looking for some board advice. Nowhere remotely close to me will demo, so I unfortunately can't try them out. If anyone could give some feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Background:

I've ridden the Byerly Assault, LF Watson Hybrid, and LF Shane Hybrid. I liked the Assault but the large fins made it too grippy for my liking. I liked the Watson Hybrid, though my friend has it so I'd prefer not to copy lol. I currently ride the Shane Hybrid, but it's not my favorite--just doesn't seem to hold it's edge as well as I'd like.

Right now I'm looking between the Ronix Bill and Parks (Ronix mainly because there's a dealer near me and I'd prefer to support local shops) but I'd be open to other suggestions. Mainly looking for something that is somewhat forgiving, but holds a good edge and has reasonably consistent pop (perhaps similar to the Watson). The Assault was a hybrid and the Watson was a 3-stage, so I'm open to either rocker shapes.

Thanks
Old    Axis22            06-11-2013, 12:18 PM Reply   
Ronix time bomb look out lots of pop, but very unpredictable !!
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       06-11-2013, 3:56 PM Reply   
the Bill is continuous this year, so if you're wanting anything but a continuous then it's out of the question
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-12-2013, 12:54 AM Reply   
I have the time bomb, and I love it. I don't find it unpredictable though. I actually don't have a single complaint with the board.
Old     (Goonz)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-12-2013, 2:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I have the time bomb, and I love it. I don't find it unpredictable though. I actually don't have a single complaint with the board.
Same here! Awesome board!!
Old    Axis22            06-12-2013, 4:27 AM Reply   
Yea I just have not figured it out yet only have road it 3 times since I got it every once in awhile when I don't come in on a clean edge it shots me 360 when I not even trying to go 360 I just came off the Ronix 1
Old     (TNWake)      Join Date: May 2013       06-12-2013, 5:26 AM Reply   
The Ronix site says the Bill is a "Blended rocker". Either way I'm open to anything.

I might look at the Ronix One, though not sure if I could go with the Timebomb--I'd prefer to stay under $500
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-12-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
What are the landing like one these RONIX boards you guys are riding, I have heard the Watson Hybrid that TNWake likes lands really soft. I have not ridden any of the boards mentioned but was talking with a Watson Hybrid rider recently and he said that the softer landings were one thing he really liked.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-12-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
I ride the Ibex which is essentially the Parks and this board has ALOT of pop if you hit the wake right. It's got a pretty aggressive 3 stage rocker and super wide bottom to catch alot of edge. My only concern with it is the board rides a little slow in the water and sometimes you feel like you aren't getting enough speed coming in.
Old     (Kevinbieber)      Join Date: May 2013       06-15-2013, 7:27 PM Reply   
dude we ride the same lake we should shred sometime
Old     (TNWake)      Join Date: May 2013       06-15-2013, 8:23 PM Reply   
lol Kevin.

Anyways, I think I'm deciding between the 2013 Bill and Ronix One ATR now, not 100% sure on either.

What I liked about the Watson Hybrid was that it actually felt pretty consistent and edged well, at least compared to my Shane Hybrid.

If anyone has some feedback on how the Bill rides compared to the One, it'd be much appreciated. The GnR channels seemed like they'd provide good edge hold when going into the wake. Soft landings are a plus, but my main concern is edge hold, pop, and something that is forgiving to spare me on sketchy landings.
Old     (boarder12)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-15-2013, 9:12 PM Reply   
So I have not ridden the Ibex but I have looked at it! The shape is very similar to the Old Parks from Hyperlite which is very unpredictable and made for only him to ride it.

However I just demoed the Parks ATR and really liked the board! Unfortunately I only got to ride it once but the shape was really fun. It had good pop and tracked really fast and I was riding it with the 0.8 inch fins which let it have a looser feel on the water. It is very light and has almost no swing weight at all and has a very thin profile. The blended 3 stage rocker is awesome because it doesn't drag like a typical 3 stage(ie the old Parks, and what I would imagine the Ibex would have ridden like).

I have ridden the hyperlite tribute the last 4 years and call me crazy but if you compare the parks ATR and the tribute side by side there are some very similar characteristics( beveled edge in the center, tapered edge at tip and tail, clean base, channels at the tip and tale, both rocker lines are around 2.6 inches, etc.) Obviously there are some very real differences between the boards(materials, flat base vs center spine, diamond tip and tale vs round, etc.). The rocker lines although one is a blended 3 stage and one is an abrupt continuous rocker ride very similar. The 3 stage obviously has more pop but is very consistent like a continuous.

I am pretty sure that the tribute is undergoing a reshaping in 2014 in an effort to cut down the swing weight and profile so I am kind of in a pickle between the Parks and the 2014 tribute. Any way I learned a ton of tricks on the tribute and it has been my favorite board I've ridden so far in my ten years of riding, however I am very interested in demoing the Parks ATR again to observe how it rides a little more in depth. So in conclusion if you are looking to improve your riding tremendously these are the two shapes I would check out.

Ronix and Hyperlite both have videos and stats on line about board construction. But demoing is obviously the best way to find out which one you like better. End of Rant!