Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-03-2012, 7:00 AM Reply   
Did a search and the last topic I found regarding ankle support was back in 2008.

I am currently riding with a set of 2010 Ronix Ones. During the end of the last summer I took a hard fall on a scarecrow and twisted my ankle bad enough to end my season. On my first set this year I went for the same trick, came up short and landed in such a way to make my ankle swell up again. I feel that the One's do not provide the support that I need.

The board that I will be riding this year is a 2011 LF Harley. I was hoping you guys could recommend some bindings that are stiff and provide adequate support for my ankle. I was thinking systems may even be a good choice and I have heard good things about Watsons being stiff.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-03-2012, 7:04 AM Reply   
Watsons are pretty stiff, as are the Sovens. you can crank the velcro on the Sovens down pretty good to stiffen up the upper area.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            04-03-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
I have the '11 Watsons, '11 Sovens & '12 Shanes...Sovens are def the stiffest out of the 3 and still trying to break in the Shanes. i love my watsons though
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-03-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
If you are looking for ankle support I would go strongly suggest going with the Watsons over Sovens. I ended my season last year with a broken ankle wearing the Sovens (the Red & White ones). My ankle rolled towards the nose of the board(side2side) in a way that I don't think the binding should have allowed so easily. My buddy picked up the Watsons because he wasn't happy with the Soven ankle support, the Watsons have a higher boot and seem quite a bit stiffer.
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-03-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input. Watsons seem to be the ones to go with. Anyone have experience with the New Harleys or Ronix Cell?
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-03-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
The Cell's are easily the stiffest Ronix and worth demo'ing if can
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-03-2012, 9:04 AM Reply   
I am going to toss the O'brien Nomade Boot into the mix. I cannot really speak intelligently about the other LF bindings. I have been on the Nomade for a few months and the boots are rock solid. Tons of ankle support. As brendan mentioned a lot of ankle support comes from how tall the boot is.
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-03-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
Not trying to hijack Brent but I'm needing some new bindings as well. I have been riding some old Ronix Kai's. I have flat feet and bought them for how wide they were and felt like my foot wasn't squished. Anyone with flat feet got any suggestions for newer model bindings. They discontinued the Kai CT so I'm looking for more options.

By the way my buddy rides the Watsons and he took a bad spill that ended up breaking his tibia, fibula and messed his ankle up pretty bad but I wouldn't completely say the bindings were at fault. I think he had a prior stress fracture. He still rides them with no problems since then.
Old     (andrewsnb)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-03-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
Ronix Cell would be an amazing choice. It is super stiff and has a really rigid back to support your calves. Check the cells out here. I won't bother re-typing what other guys said about the Watsons. They are a great choice as well. If you are from Canada I would be more then happy to tee up a DEMO for you on a couple pairs of boots if you'd like. Give me a call 1-866-955-0917

If you have ankle problems though I would probably stay away from the harleys. They are supportive... but quite a bit softer and have a broader size range. More sizes of feet into a binding = less concise fit.

The fact of the matter is- if you take a bad enough fall... you can hurt yourself. No matter what bindings you have on. I've ripped ligaments in my feet while wearing extremely supportive bindings. Ejecting and not ejecting. Like I said, if you fall the right way it can and will hurt. LOLOL

Andrew
Shuswap Ski & Board
Facebook
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-03-2012, 12:32 PM Reply   
Due to 2 ankle surgeries in the past 3 years, i just made the switch you mentioned (Ronix Ones to Hyperlite System). I have only ridden the system a handful of times since i got it, but the setup with the Marek boots feels much more supportive! I would definately suggest you take a look at them... try to demo if you can...
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-03-2012, 1:48 PM Reply   
Great looks like I have quite a few options. I am not really wanting a boot that goes up high on my leg so the Cells may be a better choice than the Watson at this point. Need to try them on before I decided. Thanks everyone!
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-03-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
Slingshot Rads
Old     (ridin_sidways)      Join Date: May 2006       04-03-2012, 4:25 PM Reply   
Try manhandling the display boots at your local shop. You can find out a lot by squishing the top of the boot toward the toe (heel to toe stiffness) and side to side (lateral stiffness). I also squeeze the material to get an idea of how well it will hold up over time. If you boot feels squishy right off the baseplate then it won't do you so well.

Ronix has always felt a little soft w/low ankle support to me. It's been a year or so since I've had one on though. CWB's AA and Marius boots both fit pretty high and have more ankle support than the ONEs.
Old     (MattAlz33)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-03-2012, 7:58 PM Reply   
I second the Marek systems, they are very supportive. You can really get them tight around the high ankle area with the boa.
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       04-03-2012, 8:18 PM Reply   
Brent, I have made quite a few forum threads regarding this issue over the past 10 years. I know your pain. Due to years of soccer injuries toppled with a 99' season with certain proto-type binding not releasing on bad crashes (raleys and elephants) I have been steady shopper for the right binding. My perfect binding is a high support boot with minimal forward and side lean. Because most of my ankle tendens are low firing (weak) therefore I need to use the boots strength to compensate. Also pressure points and ease of entry/exit are extremely important for my ankle (more so a factor in older bindings- though I still run into issues now an then on newer ones)

Here is what I have found over the years wearing many of the bindings;
(Focuses on recent 2010-2012 bindings)

Liquid force- Watson has the stiffest support in the lineup- though they sit high.
Hyperlite - Murray and Marek in the system series both sit low and support the foot well-but differently, (*though I prefer the TEAM bindings as they seem to cover all my bases including *higher ankle support.)
Ronix - Cells are very stiff and sit low.
Slingshot - Rads and older D3's are supportive and cushy, more than most, but not as much support as the bindings listed above.
CWB - AA's & Marius are the most supportive in CWB lineup depending on the year, however neither as stiff as bindings listed above.
Obrien - I have no experience in the latest Obrien bindings.

I hope you can use what I found above helpful. The thing I found most impacting over the years is off season training with the muscles and tendons around my ankles. I have yet to find any binding that offers the reliability and confidence building that stability exercises provide; Band workouts, single leg exercises, balance and agility workouts and daily stretching.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-04-2012, 2:58 AM Reply   
Check the 101 button at the bottom of Ronix's page. Go Ronix-> Boots(or Boards or whatever) and at the bottom there's a 101 button that brings up a chart showing stats on their boards and bindings
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-05-2012, 7:40 AM Reply   
Im going to toss another one in for the Systems. I know everyone has their preferences of styles and brands etc, but the fundamental difference of external support in the systems make the support last much, much longer than most other bindings. No matter what boots you have, or how long you ride them you will still get great support and hold well down the road. Even though they are not the stiffest bindings out there (and they are NOT, you can still flex them a decent amount), they will outlast most other "stiff" boots.

I hate to say it, but EVERY other pair of bindings Ive had (LF Transits, Watsons, Ronix Cells, older non-system Mareks and Murrays to name a few) have gotten soft and sock-like over time, usually after about 2 months of summer riding (3-4 days/week). Even my 09 mareks, which started out as arguably the stiffest and most cast-like out of any boots in recent years, still turned into mashed potatoes after like 2 months.

The point is, the benefits of support and hold from an external measure IMO makes them last much longer, even if the boot itself turns to mashed potatoes, just crank down a few more clicks on the straps and your support and hold will be solid. To me, this is one of the greatest advantages of the systems (not to mention the incredible response and minuscule heel/toe lift). End rant. Dont overlook them in your quest for new binders. Hope this helps.

Last edited by tom_paz; 04-05-2012 at 7:43 AM.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-05-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
I personally think the systems have no less heel/toe lift than other boots... but this is based on a biased in-store point of view, i have never rode them on water.
My theory, based on testimony of others and my on-carpet experience with the boots, that the outer support definitely must be the big deal. maybe the straps offer a different more advantages leverage point to get more control.

anyway, i can second the RADs. 2012 would be ideal. the liners are tons better for 2012.
the slingshot shredtown boots are very similar to the RADs but use velcro, so you may consider those if looking at slingshot.

hear a ton of good things about the Ronix cells
Old     (MNRIDER)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-06-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
Go for the Cells, lots of support, heat moldable and speecific sizes. They will fit tight and right!
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-06-2012, 12:37 PM Reply   
I am going to see if I can demo a set of Systems when I go to the cable in the next couple of weeks. Heard many good things about them. I do 95% of my riding behind the boat and I am very anal about keeping it clean so I dont know if having wet boots on would be a good option.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-13-2012, 2:57 AM Reply   
I've got really bad ankles as well. I brought the system Marek bindings. I havent had any wakeboarding related ankle problems since. Id definitley reccomend them. Stop reading, just go and buy a pair....
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-13-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
I have the soven 2012 on my boat set up and they are very stiff. I use the vantage CT for the cable.
Though the sovens are meant to be considered the stiffest boot by LF.