Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-10-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
Change it yay or nay?
Hours...
hot or cold...
directions on how?
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-10-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
I change mine once a year regardless of hours. Mine (velvet drive) only holds a quart and a half of ATF so it's not a big deal.
Warm or cold is OK, fluid is thin enough to not need to warm it up. I suck out the old with a pump, and only replace what was removed. (assuming the right amount was in there to begin with).
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-10-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
I change mine every other oil change, or about 100 hours. When removing fluids, it is a good idea to warm it up some so that it flows more easily.

I have a hand pump and it works just fine for both oil and tranny fluids. I use a syn blend tranny fluid and have had good success. I want to use the best I can since wakeboarding and wakesurfing put a lot of strain on it.
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-10-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
I change mine every other oil change, or about 100 hours. When removing fluids, it is a good idea to warm it up some so that it flows more easily though it may not be necessary. You should cahnge at least once a year.

I have a hand pump and it works just fine for both oil and tranny fluids. I use a syn blend tranny fluid and have had good success. I want to use the best I can since wakeboarding and wakesurfing put a lot of strain on it.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-10-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
I change all of my fluids every year. It's cheap and easy.

Use a clean 2 liter plastic bottle to put the old stuff in. Then use another one to put in the same amount in.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-10-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
I was told to put 30 Weight in my Walter V-drive. Is this right?
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-10-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
Drain it first and if it's oil it's going to be SAE-30. Mine takes one quart.

Some take transmission oil.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-10-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
Yes Nick,the Walter V-Drive takes 30 weight NON-Detergent oil.In between the v-drive and motor is the transmission it takes trany fluid.

(Message edited by wakebrdjay on December 10, 2008)
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-10-2008, 4:15 PM Reply   
So are you saying there is two seperate fluids there that I have to check? I am going to go look at it right now.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-10-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
Yes,the trans. should have a little red t-handle that you un-screw a few turns to pull out.

(Message edited by wakebrdjay on December 10, 2008)
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-10-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
OK now I feel stupid, I never knew there were two different fluids there. Both of them must have been changed about 65 hours ago, that's when I bought the boat but I will keep an eye on the tranny fluid from now on. All have been just checking the V-drive fluid, The tranny fluid is kind of tucked underneth the seat/computer.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-10-2008, 4:27 PM Reply   
Thanks Jay T. That could have avoided me a big problem later on.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-10-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
No pboblem.I just got my 1st v-drine this year and it took me a month or two to figure out myself.The owners manual didn't make it clear that there was both.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-10-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
Nick,pretty sweet profile pict.you have there.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-10-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
So what is the correct way to check the tranny fluid? It looked like there was a cold and a hot line on the stick. Does the boat have to be running?
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-10-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
Thanks, coming from Minnesota I would have thought peolpe would be riding all year round here but it's like pulling teeth to try and find two others to get out with me. Minnesota has a great Wakeboard scene I would even say better than Vegas.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-10-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
No,if it has a cold line it should be at that level when cold,not running,and at rest in the water or sitting on the trailer at the same angle that it sits at rest in the water.At least that's what my manual says.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-10-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
Thanks
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-10-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
You're welcome.I hear ya on the 2 people thing.Nothing puts me in a crap mood faster than when the lake is butter and I can't find a third.I ride mostly on Lake Erie so butter doesn't happen all that often.