Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-25-2005, 1:43 AM Reply   
Hoping some fellow Sanger owners can confirm this one.
What is the correct oil in the V-drive? I have a 2003 V210 and I have seen 75w90 gear oil mentioned as well as straight 30 weight. Dealer said 30 weight, but would like a confirmation as the owners manual doesn't mention anything (currently inclined to go with the 30 weight).
Heading up to Shasta for a long labor day weekend and want to get everything good to go and would hate to put the wrong stuff in there.
Thanks in advance.
Old    zboomer            08-25-2005, 5:59 AM Reply   
Most Walter's v-drive units take straight 30wt, is it a Walters?

Here is their web site, but I don't see any online manuals, http://www.waltergear.com/

There is contact info on that page, you could call them directly.

Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-25-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
You might be able to call Sanger direct and ask customer service.
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-26-2005, 11:57 PM Reply   
Thanks for your input. Couldn't get through to anyone at Sanger and turns out it is a Walter.

I took a look around this evening while I was changing out a fuel filter and found that there is actually a plate on the front port side of the v-drive unit, which specifies the model number, recommended oil and change interval, which is pretty handy.
Anyway the low down is that I have a Walter RV26, it takes SAE 30 and should be changed after the first 100 hours and then every 500 hours thereafter.
The plate says that all Walter units with model RV10 through RV50 take SAE 30 oil.
I also found a Nautique manual online (http://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/2005Air.pdf)that had very detailed information and illustrations on changing the v-drive oil (they use the exact same Walter units); turns out there is a drain plug in the back, two magnetic plugs diagonally opposite (front and back) and a strainer to clean out.
Anyway, hopefully this will help someone else looking to do the same as it'll only cost a couple bucks for the oil (only takes maybe a quart I believe, but I'll compare it to how much comes out when I likely do this tomorrow) as the level is currently right at full.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-27-2005, 6:21 AM Reply   
Capturing the oil out of the bottom rear drain plug is difficult. Some times you can get a small plastic of aluminum tray under the drive. My dealer service tech said he lets it drain in the bilge and soaks it up with old rags. I have gone with the trays and it takes several dumps to get it out.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-27-2005, 9:35 AM Reply   
I've just run the boat in gear for several minutes to get the contaminants into suspension and then suck the fluids out the dipstick hole. I took the bottom drain plug out once cuz I just really didn't think I was getting all the fluid out, and guess what? Barely a couple tablespoons came out.

Our Walters have the same interval, but I've just got in the habit of doing it annually along with the tranny fluid. Mobil1 of course.
Old    zboomer            08-27-2005, 9:13 PM Reply   
Does Mobil 1 make a straight 30 wt?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-28-2005, 5:09 AM Reply   
derek, The dipstick hole on my Walters V-drive is very small. No way to get the oil suction tube down there. I use that method for oil and transmission fluid. Haven't found a way to make it work on the v-drive.
Old    matt_dettman            08-28-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
George,

Clamp or plumb a piece of small copper or plastic tube to your suction hose. You can then suck it out the dipstick hole...
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-28-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
Sorry so slow in response. I've got that Oil Boy sucker and one of its extension tubes is like 1/4" outside diameter.

As far as Mobil1, the TOYOTAs run at a higher RPM, so Walter spec'd a fluid we've never heard of (Mobilgear 626). Researched it's viscosity and it's in the neighborhood of regular M1 75W-90 gear oil.

Here's the sucker and a picture of my brand anal retention come service time:

Quick $$ hundy
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-28-2005, 10:47 PM Reply   
Just took care of the v-drive on Saturday after a trip to the lake and I also used the suction pump to suck it out the dipstick tube (it is a very small opening and may not fit all suction pumps). Still took the back drain plug off and got a bit more out - I would definately suggest sucking what you can out first as it is hard to catch the oil from the back of the v-drive as it is only about and inch or two from the hull.
The screen was also a bit dirty, so I cleaned that off as well (plus the two magnetic plugs).