Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (wakechallenged)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-10-2005, 9:45 PM Reply   
Attn. brand new yellow Maxim owner! They probably didn't go over any of the "unwritten rules" when you bought your boat but someone needs to ... so here are a few. This message is necessary due to 3 (count 'em, 3) events - 1) today when you nearly plowed over our downed boarder while you were watching your tuber. 2) 2 weeks ago on July 3 when you drove right between me and another boarder who were both starting off LITERALLY 100' apart. and 3) today when you were dragging your tuber around through Goose Bay which is the ONLY place on Vail lake that is designated for waterskiing/wakeboarding only.

Ok, here are a few of the unwritten rules:

1) Stay clear of other boaters -- especially downed skiers/boarders. Far enough away so your wake doesn't mess with us. I'm not sure how many feet that is but you should be far enough away that we can't see your eyes or facial expressions. You, Yellow Maxim, are too close.

2) Raise your hand when you see our flag AND the guy in the water. This lets us know you see us and will avoid running over us.

3) In a cove or channel, don't power turn to pick up your guy who fell. Instead, stop, let your wake cross, then turn around to get your guy. This helps keep the water calm.

4) When we're kicking back at rest, don't come anywhere close enough that we can see your eyes. Stay clear.

5) Never, ever, ever, EVER, track behind us in our wake while we're pulling anyone (whether skier/boarder or tube). This freaks us out more than anything and there's nothing we can do except hope the guy being pulled doesn't fall.

6) At the ramp, load your boat and have all your prep work done before you enter the ramp area. Unloading into the water only takes a minute or so. Loading only a little bit more time. Practice doing this a few times when its not busy. You'll get really good at in no time and will learn exactly where your trailer needs to be to get your boat loaded properly.

7. If someone else is driving your boat, give them a crash course in some of the basic rules so they don't violate the major ones.

8. When you are pulling tubes, please respect that you can get away with a lot choppier water than can boarders, so PLEASE stay out of the calm coves that are being used for skiing/boarding. Most of us boarders are parked in coves waiting for the water to calm down before we can make 1-2 passes. You coming along in your tube tends to upset us as "not worthy" of the glass.

9. When someone is yelling at you from their boat or shaking their fist at you (or one of their fingers) ... you are doing something wrong. Figure it out.

Most of us get it, a few do not. Get it and we'll all enjoy it a whole lot more.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-10-2005, 9:59 PM Reply   
Good read Ray, we have a guy in our area that must be your guys twin! It's always amazing how "painfully stupid" some people really are!
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       07-10-2005, 10:11 PM Reply   
Yeah, that guy must own a boat up here on lake Sammamish as well. An older 25 footer that he likes to pull the tubers with thru the ski course, including between the buoys. Doesn't seem to care about the 5 wakeboard and ski boats that are all sitting at the end alternating runs.

Also doesn't seem to think the other 10 miles of lake are good enough to pull the tube on.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-11-2005, 5:11 AM Reply   
We had a guy similar to yours, except he was on a jet ski... at 7am? It was an older ski, and he had the entire lake Loudon to explore, but he just tormented us. Jumping our wake not 100' behind our rider. And when one of our guys got a bad head injury and we dropped him off at the dock, the other 3 people 'taking turns' on the jet ski asked us to, "Throw him some more wake, guys." I throw wake for one dang reason, and it's not to please the nautically challenged.
Old    sking55405            07-11-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
I have 2 guys kind of like that. One of the people is out tubing at 6:30 7 in the morning screwing up all my water. Who needs to pull a tuber at 6:30 in the morning. And then another person who messes with us waits till we just get on the water then he comes out and starts jumping our wake. I was trying to do a 360 once... i crashed via faceplant and i didnt know it but people in the boat said that he came within like a foot from smashing ito my head. so in other words why dont the jetskiers go jump tuber wake.
Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-11-2005, 7:29 AM Reply   
Are you sure the boat was a Maxim?
Did it have a tower or not?
Just asking cause I know a co-worker of mine who is a new boater to Vail and if it was him f-ing up, I want to show this thread to him.
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       07-11-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
Sounds like you might want to have a friendly conversation with him before...at best..he screws up the rest of your summer....or ..at worst...kills one of your crew.

I'd like to think the vast majority of those folks are just ill-informed about how to act and not f-ing stupid.....but considering that boating is like 90% common sense...I'm guessing I'm wrong.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-11-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
I think the best approach is to print out a copy of the Don't be that Boat article and put it under his windshield wiper on his truck.
Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-11-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
I've tried to explain a few of the do's and don'ts to him but I have never gone out or intend to go out on the water with him. He's just a new boater/boarder and I know that he uses Vail so I thought I'd ask what the boat looked like to confirm if it was him.
Old    kellywb            07-11-2005, 2:48 PM Reply   
Ray,

I was there on July 3rd and the powers turns and tubers where killing me! We would get a break in the water from time to time for a good run the they would take tubers in and power turn all over the place. I wanted to go up to them and give them some advice but I had three kids in the boat. On the other side I had a fisherman tell me I was number one as I went by him. They were on the west side about 150' off of the shore and I was about 75' from them. Never saw them the rest of the day. Did they get the message? Maybe. I might sell my lifetime membership to Vail if anyone is intreasted. I just don't get down there enough.

Kelly
Old    tuck224            07-11-2005, 6:00 PM Reply   
I was there on Saturday, and there were two boats that were pulling tubes back and forth across goose bay. When I say back and forth I mean back and forth width wise not length wise. It was one of the oddest things I've ever seen they were only going straight for about 30 yards before they had to turn around!

They did seem to eventually catch on as myself and another boat started using the bay going in the proper direction. It's a great place, but you definitely see some strange behavior.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-11-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
ED what time were you there.

I was in the Yellow and White Supra SSV in the morning.
What boat were you in
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-11-2005, 7:59 PM Reply   
Well said Ray. Some people just dont use their brains. I like Daves idea a lot. I might print out a stack to keep in my rig for that purpose.
Old    corkyswx2            07-11-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
I feel your pain. there always seems to be someone at pomme de terre lake in the major ski cove driving like this: the green is land, blue water, line w/ sorta arrows equals the bath tub the wally is pulling. If people are driving liek they should, up to 5 boats can pull skiers at one time in the cove, but there's always people in this crownline drinving like that (a circle) pulling tubers thru what should be butter. please note. the dots are wakeboard/ ski boats. The YELLOW line is the normal pull for boats int he cove:
Wally path at pomme de terre
Old    justsomeguy            07-11-2005, 9:57 PM Reply   
Pulling a tube in butter can be great.

The shock from transitioning from smooth water to thw wake can be quite traumatic.

Old    tuck224            07-12-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
E double, I think I remember seeing your boat. I was in a white green and beige Malibu Response with a monster tower.

Old    ag4ever            07-12-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
I am sorry, I won't do it again. Untill this weekend that is.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-12-2005, 12:09 PM Reply   
sometimes the best way to get the message across is to be blunt. drive up to them and tell them they are being dangerous and to cut it out.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-12-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
thats ok

if my kids are in the water and that is going on, my prop chops ropes up real nice

next time the guy is doing that be sure to let ole Yuroslav know his cf #'s and we get him booted for good
Old    ozonerider            07-12-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
Good post, Ray!

I'd like to add:

10) Check to see if someone is coming up behind you before you pull your rider up (just look over YOUR rider's head or in that general direction before hitting the throttle). It's polite not power up and cut in front of a boat and rider already up and running. When you power up and parallel the other boat, neither rider can make a cut or do anything until someone falls. It only takes a minute or two to wait for our rollers to pass and YOUR rider will appreciate the cleaner water to ride in, not to mention not having to worry about colliding with out boat/rider or getting run over if he/she falls...

Hopefully, the white Malibu w/ grey trim and silver Monster tower, and the brand new Navy blue X-10 that were out near the twin sloughs near Disco Bay today will see this...
Old     (cjromero77)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2005, 7:50 AM Reply   
Good post! I'm new to boarding/boating and I joke about hearing those 7 dreaded words:

DUDE! What the f*** are you doing?!!!?

So far I haven't, but I know enough that safety and etiquette are important.

I hope newbies like me will pay attention to these posts. If not these posts, at least to the reactions of other boaters.

Chris

PS No... That was not me in the maxim thank goodness.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-20-2005, 8:51 AM Reply   
How about a guy driving a Seadoo Jetboat witha rope attatched to the eyelette on the bow. Standing on the back of the driver seat, holding the rope, and steering with his foot. What an idiot. Seen him doing it 3 times but someone is always behind the boat so we can never chase him down.