Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-07-2007, 10:58 PM Reply   
We were thinking about planning a camping trip but I thought I would consult some experience. Would it be bad to leave my boat in brackish water over night then just flush her good the when we get home? I see a lot of I/O camped out one shore....would it be BAD for the boat.Thanks
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-07-2007, 11:01 PM Reply   
We have put 1000 hours on our boat in brackish water. The only problem we have had is because we had the aluminum heads. Aluminum heads are not good for brackish/salt water. I dont think it will hurt the boat if it is a one time thing.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-07-2007, 11:27 PM Reply   
Thanks Leo. It will be easier to do this rather then driving 3hrs everytime we wanna camp/wakeboard!
Old     (abhoe157)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-08-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
before we installed the lift at our house on the river (brackish water) we used to leave it in the water over night thne when we finished the next day we'd trailer it and flush it and use a salt remover it'll be fine most likley
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-08-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
No problem. Have fun on your trip.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-08-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
Kani, what boat do you have? is yours a I/0 because mine is a volvo I/O and it has a port to flush the motor out without the engine running just for those conditions.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-08-2007, 10:44 PM Reply   
Its an inboard...95 Super Sport. I like the idea of bieng able to go camping there a couple times this summer....how long is too long though for leaving it in w/out flushing. I have a friend who said as long as it stays in it doesn't matter until you pull it out..then flush it good?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-08-2007, 11:01 PM Reply   
you know its weird how my system works but I think they could make some kind of a flush out for a inboard, like a ball valve and a hose fitting and you could run it with the hose hooked up while in the water for a few minutes ya know
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-09-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
it is available and its called a flush kit by Perko. You will notice the spring vavle typr thing inside that shuts of the intake so you can flush while in the water.Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-09-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
That is the flush kit I have. It works great, but you can actually run a hose to the transom from that unit and make its even easier.

Yea, salt water doesnt do its damage until it leaves and oxygen comes into play.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-09-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
I have a fresh water flush adapter on the boat. I was just trying to make sure by camping a day or two with the boat in the water i wasn't going to hurt anything. Thanks for the info!
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-09-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
no not at all. We used to leave my boat in the water overnight at the Oahu water ski club (without flushing) often.

I followed these steps when my boat was in the salt:
* Soap and wash it down after
* Soap down the bilge, carpet, ski locker
* Coat the engine with WD40. This includes spraying WD40 underneath the engine and engine mounts where salt/brackish water sits while in the water.
* Flush with Salt away for 15 minutes or longer (I always left it running while cleaning up the boat)

You can't tell to this day my boat was ever in the salt.

Just take care of it. I may have been overly Anal about cleaning, but it pays off.

(Message edited by hawaiianstiln on May 09, 2007)