Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Phoenix_Winch)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-19-2012, 10:05 PM Reply   
The tools:

It begins as a 20' stick of 1 1/4" .083 square tube

The tube gets cut into several pieces, there are only 2 90 degree cuts so they get done first, then come the 45 degree cuts

a little 1/4" flat stock goes into as well

I'm waiting on parts (which I'll provide a comprehensive photo once they're here) so I decided to de-govern the Predator motor

lay the engine on it's side and remove the 7 side cover bolts (this is because there is some factory oil in the block that will run out if the engine is upright), the bolts will be replaced at 17 ft lbs

here is the governor arm on the outside of the block

here it is on the inside

unlike the 6.5HP engines, the governor is located on the side cover which makes for much easier removal

ok ok so there are a few more tools involved than I pictured but you'll get to see pictures of them too

I build 5 spool cross members into my winches where most use 6, they're totally sufficient and make me just a little more unique

what I'm creating here are the cross member shrouds, they serve 2 fold: protect the line from exposed threads on the bolt, and they keep the spool walls at a fixed distance from each other

an exclusive of Phoenix Winch, I weld all metal lock nuts inside the frame so bolts can be used as axles and wheels can be removed if necessary

I lay down the base pieces, clamp, and tack weld

once the base is complete I tack on

uprights:

forward arms:

splash guard and fairlead bar:

and finally supports:

made the motor mounts

test fitted an old starter battery

cut the axle to length (buy them long to make 2 for winches)

drilled the pillow block holes

the motor mount holes

and the bottom splash guard holes

got some more done today, picked up spool walls from wajerjet friend and assembled, then test fit and broke the chain, with spool in place I tacked welded the fairlead mounts

sorry for an overdue post, its pretty typical in these builds that by the time I get to this point I feel like forget the camera, its balls out fabrication time

so I fabricated the battery tray, splash guard, and hitch mount, welded the hitch mount receivers to the frame as well as the fairlead mount and splash guard tabs

I got the sprocket, frame, and hitch mount painted and they look incredible, black is really the only color winches should be allowed to be

I'm going to give the paint plenty of time to cure then its time to assemble, spool the line, build the crate, and ship this bad boy to Cali, this build will tow riders up to 35 mph! (may not seem like much on the street but it's overkill for a wakeskater unless he wanted to break a bus jumping record or try his hand at some barefoot skiing)

battery tray

splash guard (HDPE)

hitch mount receiver

hitch mount

assembled and shipped today! I work very slowly while assembling to avoid chipping or scratching the paint.

first- the wheels

fairlead

Old     (Phoenix_Winch)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-19-2012, 10:06 PM Reply   
spool assembly

battery tray

motor mounts

motor

wire the electric start

put the chain on

the splash guard

rope and handle

pretty

ship

Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-22-2012, 8:29 PM Reply   
I've never done any winching or cable, but thanks for posting these pictures, the build-up is cool.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-22-2012, 10:31 PM Reply   
That was a great build out and you showed a lot of information about your design and processes! Very generous.
Old     (Phoenix_Winch)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-28-2012, 2:06 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfsU-Fwjazk&hd=1
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       09-28-2012, 2:59 PM Reply   
That thing is awesome. Great job!
Old     (Phoenix_Winch)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-01-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
thank you all for checking it out
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-01-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
Cool post!
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       10-01-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
Righteous! Thanks for posting your build design I've been wanting to put my welder to use