Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (mvanhove)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-28-2010, 7:38 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever tried to make their own wake skate before? I think I may try to make one in shop class following the guide lines from this website:

http://www.wakeskating.com/showarticle.php?a=6

Any tips would be helpful.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-28-2010, 8:22 PM Reply   
ive made 2 skimboards and they both came out pretty well, i know its a little bit different but same concept, i drew the shape out on paper, and perfected it, made sure both sides where the same. traced it on plywood, cut it out, rounded all the edges, then put blocks of wood under each end for my desired rocker, then put a 55 gallon drum on top, and filled it with water, i left it for 2 weeks. and when i emptied it the shape didnt change it all. then i put fiberglass cloth and resin over it because it slides on sand, rocks and concrete at one of the spots i used to skimboard at. but im sure you could use a good sealer and it would still work out. let us know how it turns out!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-19-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
I've been dying to do it. It's looking like a springtime project for me.
Old     (mvanhove)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-20-2010, 7:30 PM Reply   
I've started, so far its been really easy all I have done though is cut out the layers, now I need to glue/seal them together and get a rocker.
Old     (nicvtx1994)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-25-2010, 3:21 AM Reply   
hi guys,

im from Australia and have made 3 skates, heres a link to one that i made

http://www.wake.com.au/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=25945
Old     (shadow7874)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-11-2010, 10:14 PM Reply   
I started making one and recently got some supplies to continue working on finishing it. I took 2 sheets of 1/8" plywood and cut out the shape i want then glued them together. I sat both ends up on wood and a bad of cement in the center so once the glue cured it had i nice rocker to it. I think put a layer of fiber glass on each side. The only problem ive came across is its WAY to flexible. Ive gotten so good with the glassing that i use only enough resin for the glass to wet out which brings out the flexibility of the glass. Best bet would be to do like three sheets of 1/8 inch wood and a few layers of glass. The glass isnt needed but makes it more waterproof and i like the idea of glass vs wood. Ill try and get some pics of what ive got so far. Im hoping to add a few layers of chop to each side to stiffen it up then id like to add a finishing layer of carbon or carbon/kevlar but i doubt ill waste the money.