Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-17-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
Just wanted to give a head's up to anyone on here looking to make a purchase on a 2003 Malibu VLX.

To make a long story short, I was told the boat was in excellent with no real issues. I reached a deal with the dealer and told him I would give him $23,000 and would pick up the boat on Sunday (today).

Well, when I arrived and started to check out the boat. I climbed underneath to check out the hull to find that the tracking fins were missing and the holes were patched up with BONDO!!! When I confronted the dealer about this, his reply was "the owner had taken them off and that the boat did not need them". I then stated that the boat did need them and then he replied "he must have bent them on the trailer and took them off".

Why did the dealer not tell me this when I asked of the boat had any interior/exterior issues? I mean, is the boat missing the tracking fins and being bondoed not an issue?

Anyway, anyone considering this boat should be very skeptical and get the facts up front. I do not want anyone wasting 6 hours of their day and a 250 mile drive. Especially, out of state buyers who may buy the boat without inspection.

Here is a link to the boat, it is also posted on boattrader.com.

http://wedoweemarine.com/searchengine/Details.aspx?diid=2106218&bvdid=26724&type=AN&indi d=1&sortCol=Length&sortDir=DESC&Category=Sport%2fS ki+Boat
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-17-2009, 3:42 PM Reply   
From the pictures on the website you can see where they are missing. Do not know if you caught that or not..... Sorry for your troubles, but I would ask more recent photos next time and have them to date stamp them.
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-17-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
he might as well have taken the prop off and said that it wasnt necessary...
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
Fins???? We don't need no stinking fins!!!!
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-17-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
If i'm not mistaken..... fins are only to help track straighter. It is crapy how they just bondo the holes....
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-17-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
It may be just me, but that boat looks to be in great condition and the price is more than competitive. If all it needs are the tracking fins and everything else is ok, I'd consider spending the $1500 it would take to replace the fins and repair the gel. Seems like a deal, but I know that pictures can be very deceiving.

In the dealers defense judging from the website they don't carry an inboard line so he may not even be aware that it should have fins.
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-17-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
Team CBK

I thought it looked to be in great condition as well. The pics were extremely deceiving. The gel coat had lots of scratches (down to the substrate) and the chrome was peeling off on the tower and rub rail. The boat looked nothing like the pictures.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-17-2009, 7:06 PM Reply   
Completely understand...
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-17-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
I am so glad you posted this. I called the dealership about this boat. I was going to put a deposit on it until I could inspect it, but someone beat me to it. The pictures looked great, but I am wondering what else might be wrong with it? I asked them what kind of ballast did it have, and they did not even know what it was or where to find it. I had to tell them it was in the rear two lockers. Good luck, I guess I'll keep shopping around!
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-18-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
ad states "No scags on boat at present. Owner would be willing to install them. Price includes scags." Guessing he means fins.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-18-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
Thats new wasn't on original ad, I'm sure the dealer didn't realize this at first and thats why he's now posting the correct info.
Old     (coz)      Join Date: May 2008       05-18-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
First of all, whoever thought bondo would hold submerged is just as fckn stupid as the dealer trying to push the boat. What a joke and I'll bet they'll be victims of the economy because of their own stupidity. This is a malibu dealer or just a boat broker?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-18-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
Weird. Wonder why the PO removed them. Seems like all you'd have to do is put the boat in the lake & the bondo would soak up the water & fall right off the boat in no time. He must have used something that was a bit more water resistant.

I imagine the reinstall would make it fine. But I'd always wonder what other cheezy stuff the PO did on it. The pics make it look pretty faded to me. Gotta love that sun bleached teak.

Most of the wake boat drivers out there probably never use the fins much. They make the boat track straighter & the boat turn better. Granted a good rider/driver likes to go in a straight line, but they rarely turn (like a slalom course turn). And a lot of them zig zag all over the lake as their pulling their drunk buddies' tubin.
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-18-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
It is not a malibu dealer, just a dealership trying to sell it for a customer. If the previous owner hit something to knock them off, then what else might be damaged and covered up?
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-18-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
Greg,

He must have just added that today. They called me today to try to tell me the owner would put them back on. I told them no way! I was no longer interested.