Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    absolutofft            06-17-2005, 6:27 AM Reply   
I just got a CWB Ride yesterday and I was out riding it with a 600lb sac on the side and a 1200lb fatseat at the back filled. At no point was I able to feel the strain coming off the rope and I tried everything leaning forward on the board until the nose went under, driving anywhere from 9-15 mph, driving in circles, driving straight.

After looking at some of the wakesurfing videos posted in here I can tell I need a LOT bigger wake. The boat is a sportstar 19 and I'm not sure how wise it would be to put another 600lb sack on one side, does anyone else do this?
Old    burtography            06-17-2005, 6:32 AM Reply   
i loaded my 86 supra sunsport with 3 600 lb sacs on one side last season, this season we did 2 six hundreds and 2000 lb ballast in an ssv(2 500 rear and 1 1000 front), as long as you dont sink the boat go for it.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
i have a V-Drive mobius i put 2-350lb sacs on one side and adjust the wakeplate up for additional "steep" ness.

so i'd recommend for yours about 900lbs should do it.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-18-2005, 5:11 AM Reply   
I would recommend swapping the locations of your fat sacks, 1200lb on the side and 600 in the back, both towards the back corner. Also, about 100 lbs in the bow to keep the nose down. We do this with both an 88 Nautique and an 01 Tige 20i and get nice waves. Fill the sacks and drive without a surfer. The wave should be crisp on one side. With 1800 lbs of ballast, your wave should have plenty of volume. Ideally your wave will have a curl at the top. If you achieve this, and you still don't feel the push, then keep practicing or try a different board.
Old    bruky__            06-18-2005, 11:08 PM Reply   
Get rid of the Fat Seat and run 2 600lb bags down the side.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-20-2005, 6:47 AM Reply   
We went out this weekend and used the same configuration as listed above, except instead of 100 lbs in the bow, we used a 300 lb. fat sack. Initially, we had the 300 lb bow sack all the way forward. It was good. Then we slid it all the way back to where it was hitting the ski pylon. It was excellent. There was also, in addition to the driver in the boat, one person sitting on the lounge seat. This just demonstrated how you need to fine tune your boat's wake.
Old    surfdad            06-20-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
Larry, I'm a little confused about your configuration. It sounds like you have more weight to the center/side of the boat than the rear/side. In particular with the 20I, you'll have the engine weight and 1200 LBS amidships? What is the height of the wake with this setup? It doesn't adversely affect the height? Knowing how technically oriented you Dr.'s are, do you perhaps have any records of weight and placement that you could share with the rest of us?
Old     (wakesurfer54)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-20-2005, 10:59 AM Reply   
the problem is the fatseat leavels it out u need most of the weight on 1 side. every boat u gotta weight different too so its hard to jus tell u jus try different ways. see wut u like best cause people like there wakes different to. good luck though man
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-24-2005, 10:35 AM Reply   
While in general, you want to weight the rear corner on the surf side, but my current perception is that putting all the weight there creates a tall wave without as much push. Not only do you want to get the rear corner the lowest, you also want to get the entire boat lower in the water. The ideal wake (to me) is not only tall, but also wide. It has more volume and more push.
I've attached a drawing of what I am saying. Both waves have the same height face, but the bottom wave has more volume and more push. I believe the more volume the wave has, the further back you can surf.
Larry Mann
Trick Boardz

Wave volume drawing
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-24-2005, 10:44 AM Reply   
Also, when figuring the proper ballast on your boat, you can get lots of people and have them move around, or
Go to some large store with a liberal return policy, by 4 or 5, 30-gallon plastic garbage cans. A filled 30-gallon garbage can weighs about 250 pounds. Figure out your boat, buy your ballast sacks, and return the garbage cans.
Old    surfdad            06-25-2005, 7:00 AM Reply   
Hey Larry, thanks for the graphic representation, that makes it clear. I'd agree with you also, a thicker wave is better, makes it harder to punch through for tricks off the lip. If I may, I'm still a little confused. I have a Tige 23V, so my question may be boat specific...but I find that when I place MORE weight towards the centerline of the boat (transom to bow) that we lose height, but gain a longer pocket...also a significant change in the transition (mellower or less steep). Have you been able to maintain the same height and transition but build a thicker wave? Great idea on the cans!
Old    xwind            06-28-2005, 6:44 AM Reply   
Hi there !
I have a Svfara 609 (D-Drive) and yesterday I tried surfing with a fat seat 3/4 filled on the side (approx. 900lbs) + the rear ballast (600lbs) + front ballast (300lbs) and 3 adults. The rear corner of the boat was really low in the water (water level at the rub rail). The wave was really high (above my thigh) and steep but not as long as I saw on certain pics.
What would you suggest to make my wave longer (like on the diagram). Adding weight in the front to sink the whole boat further down ?

Thanx !
Luc
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-28-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
The diagrams show a cross section of the wave, not the length. I think wave length is mostly determined by the boat, and partially by the ballast. I think for a longer wave you need more weight up front relatively so the whole boat is lower. Anyone else have any ideas on making the wave longer? If your rub rail is in the water, you are probably about maxed out. If your bow takes on water when stopping, your bow weight is also maxed out. Make sure you know where your fuel vent outlet is and if it is in the water, it needs to be repositioned.
Old    wakeboarder101            07-09-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
Hey i have a Svfara 609 and also have two fat sacs 440lbs each. I was wondering where i should place them to get the biggest wake. I also was wondering if i would be able to wakesurf behind me boat. I am not sure if the wake is big enough or whatevver. What should I do and con I wakesurf
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-10-2006, 4:04 AM Reply   
Maybe you are too heavy for the CWB Ride.

I never had slack in my rope using my CWB Ride... until I got an Inland Surfer Blue Lake.