Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (evansw6)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-19-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
If anyone on here is heading to Sunland on the Columbia River for Memorial day weekend you should check this out - http://www.sunlandestates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=254

I always head here for holiday weekends and the PUD has put a big kink in our plans. Thanks for ruining the launch ramp for us! I've heard there are some boat launches south of here, but that will not be very fun driving the extra distance everyday.

I may risk it and anchor the boat in the bay during the evenings. I just hope the wind doesn't kick up. Those of you with box anchors, do you trust them to keep your boat in place overnight?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
Whoa, that sucks.

Been awhile since I've been to Sunland, but that really sucks for the folks there. From reading thru that Forum post on it, seems like a little common sense boating would keep that launch open.

What's that going to do to Sunland Estates if the launch is closed till funding is found?
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-19-2009, 11:53 AM Reply   
Better hope word doesn't catch on that Crescent Bar's ramp is the exact same. Found that one out the hard way when launching with the water low and dropping the trailer off the back of the ramp. Seriously though what ever happened to personal accountability. If you're worried that the launch is hazardous when the water is low which I'm sure the sign at the parking lot says then check it out before launching. Yeah I was pissed when I had to get my prop fixed but that doesn't mean it was someone else's fault.
Old     (evansw6)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-19-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
Yeah, you would think they’d leave it up to people to decide for themselves especially since they caused the issue.

Ryan, Crescent Bar (or the government) actually approved a bid from an engineering company that my mom works for to re-do the whole marina including boat launch, docks, campground beach and dredging the canal. It’s a government project, so they won’t even start their official assessment until later this summer. I don't think the existing ramp is a secret, but they're smart enough not to close it and piss people off.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-19-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
I have been using that ramp for years. It isn't the greatest but we never had any problems. I am going to have to tell my buddy who has a cabin in Sunland about this. He might be too busy to use the cabin that much this year but that would suck to head over there and have to drive to Vantage to launch your boat. If I remember right there may be a secret squirrel launch somewhere close to sunland though.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-19-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
Winston, that's good news for Crescent Bar that ramp can't handle the amount of people that have places there now with the new development. I see you're from Kenmore, I'm working on your new city hall as we speak. Planned on dragging my V210 up to work a few days this summer for some afternoon riding.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-19-2009, 8:03 PM Reply   
Brett, I thought the same thing... I thought there was a small ramp on the east side of the river, between Sunland and the I-90 bridge, probably just a few minutes from Sunland? Still too bad... I can't tell you how many launches on the Columbia River are much more dangerous than Sunlands...
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-19-2009, 10:57 PM Reply   
The old vantage highway isnt a ramp. Its just the old road that disappears into the water. The thing that also sucks, is that its gonna take 10 times longer to get to old vantage/ or vantage because of the concert traffic. I lived in sunland for over 10 years when i was a kid. I dont miss it, too many old people.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-20-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
Where is Sunland Estates relative to Crescent Bar?

The launch at Crescent Bar gets crazy busy memorial day weekend. We've waited 45 minutes to reload the boat several times. Though, it's usually a pretty good show, between the party on the water and the monkeys trying to load their boats.

I'm Sad I'm not going up this year.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
Sunland is south of Crescent Bar about 30 minutes, past the Gorge Amphitheater, not quite to Vantage.

Bummer. I guess the pasties will be tough to get to the beach this year.