Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (chris_h)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-04-2007, 4:37 PM Reply   
hey all i'm tryin to decide between the tige 22i or the malibu 21xti.does the taps2 really work. how are the wakes comparable, or the boats in general...also a possability of getting the v series(rear engine style) is it worth the money? it's a lot! but i need something that will last. thank all
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-04-2007, 4:41 PM Reply   
The Bu will have a better wake period, stock or with more weight.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-04-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
If you do a search, you will find more bickering than you dreamed of. Both boats will be terrific. Tige will have a better ski wake, AND a better wakeboard wake.

You will need to test drive and you will see the difference.

Dealer support will also be important. If the Malibu dealer is better, you will have a better boat owning experience with a Malibu.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-04-2007, 8:45 PM Reply   
LOL!
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-05-2007, 12:21 AM Reply   
My opinion, go with the Tige if you want it to last. I haven't ridden behind one, but most seem to like the wake.

Malibu has a great wake. And I'll leave it at that.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-05-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
Can't these threads be banned PLEASE?? Talk about a huge waste of time with no redeeming benefit to anyone. Go try the boat you want and stop asking which is best.. no one can give you THE opinion on that.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-05-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
Will I totally agree, a vast majority of the info that is posted on these threads is worthless. A lot of the first time boat owners/posters buy brand X, become a Certified Wake Boat Field Engineer, and every other brand of boat sucks.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-05-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
If you want a wakeboard wake, get a V-drive. Also can somebody explain the TAPS system to me? It is a cavitation plate. It CANNOT push the back end down. It can only raise it up. What is the point in a wake boat? The only value I can see is if you have your ballast weight distributed wrong, (i.e. too much weight in the rear) it could help trim it out a little bit better. A true foil like the wedge can force the back end down. If you want a ski wake, I can see how the TAPS could be a benefit. Am I missing something here?

Malibus throw an awesome wake. Add more weight and the wake just gets bigger. The shape stays good and the wake doesn't get washed out.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-05-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
As a certified Wake Boat Field Engineer, I do not feel obligated to comment on the wake issue.

I say get a v-drive though.
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-05-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
Malibu
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-05-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
Peter...most boats have a "hook" or downward turn at the back lip of the boat hull. This provides a little lift in all cases which helps the boat plane. This is the theory behind wake plates, like you see on Supra's and now MC boats. The difference on the Tige is that they have eliminated the hook altogether. Using their wake plate puts the hook back on to make the boat plane. Having it up all the way doesn't pull the back end of the boat down, but it doesn't provide any lift either. So in essence, the Tige should sit lower in the water all things equal.

To the OP...both are nice boats. Dealer relationship makes a huge difference in the Boat experience. If you like you boat and hate your dealer...you are not going to like your boat as much as having a good boat and a great dealer.
Old     (chris_h)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-05-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
thanks for the info guys i realize asking an opinion on which boat is better is nothing more than opinion. but those who have had experience with these boats can be a lot of help...making it last is also very important(big investment) so if going to the v hull is really that big of a difference, i only want to do once....thanks for the info
Old     (kdawg)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-05-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
What are you going to be using the boat for? BTW, the taps system really does work!!!
My personal opinion, which doesn't count for much, is go with a Tige. However, I'm really bias, I buy a new Tige every year. For what it's worth, my wife rails on a slalom ski and had a blast behind our 04 tige 22v. A lot of boat owners buy the "i series" and end out trading up to a "v series" a year or so later. If you can stretch for the V, I would. They hold value a little better. I bought a brand new 04 22v and sold it a year later for the exact same amount. If for no other reason, I'd buy a Tige because they hold value if they're 22ft or less. The bigger boats take a big depreciation hit. Honestly, I can't say anything bad about the Bu's. They look cool and typically have good reviews. Good Luck!!!!
Old     (joe1975)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-05-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
Kdawg that was a nice post!
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-05-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
I have a 22i and a family member has a 21xti. We both love our boats and we both feel the other has really nice boat as well. I'd say go with the better dealer.

My particular experiences would be that I would never own a boat without Taps. My surfwake is far superior. The xti has a better wakeboard wake. I like my slalom wake, he likes his. I like the layout in the xti better. I couldn't tell you my dealer experiences because I don't have any. I bought the boat used in '01 and have never had to take it in for anything.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-05-2007, 9:06 PM Reply   
Chris-

My final two choices last year came down between Malibu and Tige. I was set on a Malibu until the RZ2 came out. Both are great boats and both handle very well. Things I liked about the Bu were styling, dash, wake, and craftmanship. Dislikes were dealer distance from my house, how low the interior seats were, graphics, and price was still more overall. As for the Tige I was not a fan of the Ve storage and the way the did the interior seat cushions. With the RZ2 the fixed that. What I like about Tige as storage, dash, vision air seat, rough water ride, no balast, and pickle fork design. Dislikes are height of the dash, and the ablity to clean the interior vinyl to this point.

Unlike what other stated it is needed to have converstations about different makers here so we can find out little things that you might not get in a demo. I asked and asked and got great feed back. Sure it might become a pissing contest, but read through the bull $h*t and get to the facts and you really can learn something about each boat. Overall Chris if you are in So Cal PM me and I will give you a break down of the dealers in our area and what I thought about each. Go out and demo the boats and have a good time with it, buying a new boat is a cool experience.
Old    stillstandin            03-05-2007, 9:12 PM Reply   
I dont own either one, and have been in both. It would be Malibu for me.
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-09-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
Malibu
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-09-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
you guys who just say ive been in it, and it would be malibu or whatever...we are trying to help him find a boat to buy and by saying i like malibu more that doesnt help him, please specify ex. (the malibu i feel has thicker carpet for my arthritic foot, so my vote is for the malibu)

not just the name, that does not help anyone at all

now, what are you looking for in the boat, fit and finish, quality, performance, wake quality, or just being able to do it all? now i personally like the xti layout more but it makes it seem a little more cramped. I have never rode in either of these so i do not know the performance or wake quality, but if you get the malibu and want to progress at wakeboarding then i am sure you would get the wedge but if someone else in the family wants to ski then you wont have such a great ski wake as the tige will due to the amount of drag of the wedge still there even when up, the tige does not have any drag hardware so it does not ruin the characteristics of wakeboard and ski quality.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-09-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
When the wedge is up it is out of the water hand has no affect one way or the other on the wake
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-09-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
the bu for sure