Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-09-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
I'm looking at purchasing a wakeboard boat in the next couple of months. I've been looking at used centurions, sangers, moombas, nautiques, mastercrafts and malibus in the 12-16K range. Mostly these are 92-97's. But, I'm wondering if they're going to be too old to be reliable. A boat is for fun -- the last thing I want to do is get a boat that's too old to be reliable and ends up being nothing but work!

What have your experiences been? Are 13-15 year old boats a lot of maintenance?
Old     (bp22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-09-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
It really depends on how the prior owner(s) took care of the boat. My last boat was a 1989, that had been taken care just not used much. I had to spend about $300 on the engine, but after that it was a great boat.
Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-09-2007, 6:52 PM Reply   
Brandon,

What did you have to do to the engine? I don't mind spending a little to fix stuff up but I don't want to be always spending time in the garage working on the boat instead of wakeboarding behind it!
Old     (bp22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-09-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
The boat had been run in brackish water for years and not regularly flushed and there was some rust. The boat is still running strong with just regular oil changes.
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-10-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
How many hours are on these boats?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-10-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
it very easy to disable an hour meter.
That said look for less than 300 hours and if taken care of will be like new, 300to800, will start to show some wear, but are still OK...most boats don't get used alot, find one somebody babied and save a bundle for a good boat. and if i were u i'd find a Sanger.
Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-10-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
I've looked at several. Most of them are in the 300-400 hour range. I was very close to buying one but I had a mechanic check it out and one cylinder had low compression and there was some fiberglass damage where the boat had been run aground at some point.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-10-2007, 10:23 PM Reply   
Find a boat that's been well maintained and don't worry too much about the hours. If you're worried about the hours on an engine, do a compression check. You're better off getting a high hours boat that's been well maintained than a boat that's spent much of it's life sitting in a garage or worse sitting outdoors somewhere. Hours are nowhere near the whole story.