Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       01-16-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
Just installed a Clarion CD Player in my 82 sn2001. It seems to work untill you turn it up LOUD. Then the Head unit flips off and then back on. I was using a battery that hasnt been on a charger for a while and I dont know if that would cause a problem or not but does anyone have any ideas of what would cause this??

Thanks in advance
Jon
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-17-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
Tth could easily be yoru problem...the voltage is to low. try charger the battery and then see what happens? What voltage are you seeing at the battery? at the HU?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       01-17-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
Ok so it is not the battery. It checked out. Any body have any other ideas? I dont have a voltage tester so I dont know how much it is getting.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-17-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
Jon:

I would guess that the problem is that the head unit is not getting enough power, but without additional information all I can do is guess.

Do you have amps, or is the head unit driving all the speakers directly? How many speakers?

If you have amps, how are the amps wire to the electrical system: directly to the batteries or into the fuse block where where the head unit gets its power?

Does this happen when the engine is running, or just when sitting at idle or with the engine off?

In general, when you crank the volume up it causes the stereo / amps to really start drawing a lot of current. If the battery voltage is low, if the wiring is not sufficient, or if there are any problems in the wiring (loose or corroded contacts) it will be when the volume is high that problems would occur.

If your boat has "fuses" instead of circuit breakers you might try changing the fuse. I have seen situations where the fuse gets a little corroded and makes bad contact in the holder and replacing it with a bright shiny new fuse can improve things a bit.

If you have made any recent changes to the electrical system then I would definately take another look at what has changed.

Let us know more about your stereo configuration and when the problem occurs and I will comment further.

Rod
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       01-17-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
My set up is very basic.
1 Clarion Head unit to 2 alpine 5.125s and 2 6x9s
No amps
Speakers are run from the head unit for now.
Boat is an 82 Correct Craft
I will try the new fuse thing tonight.
I have not started the boat(it is Winterized)

I am thinking it is probably the old wiring or how it is wired. I just wired the new unit in the same way as the old one was done, which he took out when I bought the boat.

Here is what I am thinking about doing next:

Run my Power wire to the horn switch and disconnect the horn(doesnt work). The boat has a fuse for this switch and my head unit has an inline fuse. Should I just put the same size fuse in the horn switch as the inline fuse in the cd player.

The horn switch should be 12v, shouldnt it?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-17-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
I would suggest using a relay if your going to wire the power wire to a switch? I'm guessing the HU would pull more than 5-10 amps??? wire a fuse inline as close to the battery as possible.
you coudl bypass using the realy, you'll knwo if you need one b/c youu switch will get very hot and coudl melt.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on January 17, 2006)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-17-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
The problem is....it's a Clarion.

Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       01-17-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
THe problem is not that its a Clarion. I just talked to the guy I bought the boat from and he had a kenwood in the boat and it did the same thing.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-17-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
Jon, run new power and ground wires directly to the battery and then hook the remote wire to the switched side of one of you acc breakers/fuses. At least....thats what I would do.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       01-17-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
Ryan if I do that is it really that easy. Just run the power directly to the head unit. No need for relays or anything. I would still have the protection of the inline fuse.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-17-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
Ryan is correct.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-17-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
Since our boats didn't come with radios its just like hooking an amp up. I would recommend having a fuse (same amps as the one near the deck) close to the battery and maybe running the ground to the "common" ground point (if these boats even have such a thing) but yeh....its that easy.
Old     (gabriel63)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-19-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
I have the same problem in my 2004 ski supreme. the stock deck (sony) would shut off when turned up loud.Thats with the boat on.When the boat is off you can only go half the amount from when its on.I took it to the shop and they said that it is under power and that i needed a amp. I used the boat shop and a stero shop.the boat shop didnt know what they were doing.but it was under warr. stero shop did know.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-20-2006, 6:23 AM Reply   
This type of problem can almost always be traced back to a bad power or ground. This happened "overnight" in my boat, it turned out to be a bad connection at my 2nd battery that is dedicated to the stereo.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-20-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
are you using the wiring from the 82 nautique? if you are run a wire directly from the battery. the nautique wiring is crap.those boats didnt even have a radio.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       01-20-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
I will try it with a wire run directly from the battery this weekend.

Thanks again for all of the help.
Jon