Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-03-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
I just rode the Slingshot Recoil 138 with the closed toe driver bindings (of course) yesterday. For those interested here are my lengthy comments

HISTORY BEFORE RIDING: I have searched out as much information as I could about Sling Shot since I first saw the cheap introductory web site back in September. Earlier I checked one of the biggest shops here in Utah (Marine Products) to see if they would be carrying Slingshot. They told me they had plans to have them in their bigger store in Salt Lake the next month. Later I checked the store to find that they backed out last minute according to one of the employees. The guy I talked to had nothing good to say about Slingshot. (though he did say the boards were ok, but not a must have item) He was especially negative about the bindings, labeling them as “K-mart” sold bindings. He told me they would have carried at least the boards if they could figure out a way to mount other bindings to the board (Duh can’t). All his negative talk did not convince me (I did feel slightly down about it, simply because of the negative vibes) ... any time someone can only talk trash about anything usually shows some degree of bias. Finally I checked the one and only store in Utah that carries Slingshot (Utah Water Sports) and had a lengthy conversation with the store representative there. Prior to stocking Slingshot he had mixed feelings about the gear, but now he seems converted to it as well as others that he knows. So far no boards have broken or any such issues under warranty (except the ones broken on rails that have been mentioned in other threads, but rails don’t count) The store let me take the board out for free. He said “give me a date”… I was expecting to only have one day with it.

RIDING CONDITIONS: first off, my skill level includes HS backroll, TS front roll, wrapped 360, but enough air that I could pull anything if I were not such a pansy. I don’t have my own boat so I hitched a ride with an awesome bunch of strangers. The boat was an older tige with a “TEN FOOT POLE” The water conditions were not the best as it was the first Saturday after most schools ended and so the boat population was high. I would consider this day to be my season breaking run too.

BOOTS (DRIVER): I tried the boot on in the store and initially was not that impressed. But I was determined to at least give the equipment a try to satisfy my curiosities. Once I was in the water my feelings changed about the fit of the boot. (I now can say that trying on boots in the store may not be the best way to get the true characteristic of a boot, regardless of board control) It felt like the boot began to mold to my feet, wrapping completely around my foot from toe to ankle like a sock... a well supported sock. Never have I felt so “attached” to the board before. I felt like my feet from the ankle down were actually part of the board. There was no heel lift/movement whatsoever. The liners have large awesome heel kidneys that add to the whole effect. The laces are indeed a pane in the butt. There is an interior lace for extra heel hold and there is a bi-level lace system on the exterior. Though a pane out of the box, the laces can be removed to fit individual rider styles and are relatively easy to get used to. If you like a stiff ridged boot; ride the boots out of the box, if you prefer a simpler/ looser feel, remove the interior lace and maybe modify the front to make it a single lace system. What Slingshot has done is essentially made 3 or more styles of boot in one. My first run of two sets I tightened all the laces and my toes started falling asleep a bit. The second run I tightened only the exterior laces (but not as much as the first time) and felt better, but still felt like the hold was just as good, even in the heels. This has also been my first Closed Toe experience. Like many others out there I have been worried about getting my toes smashed. I am positive I had one or two landings/crashes that would have been a foot out the front experience and I felt only a little extra pressure on my toes as if kicking a ball. I can now side with those who say, “your toes will be fine as long as your wearing the right size.” When wearing closed toe your toes should be touching the end of the toe box. If there is space then there will be opportunistic space to create toe crushing momentum. If toe smashing was REALLY an issue, than snowboard boots would get the same complaints right? I don’t think I am a “closed toe forever” kind of guy now, but I definitely agree that closed toe is here to stay and maybe may become the standard with time. Slingshot boots come in single size increments, which I think is better for closed toe boots. Other companies that have a range of foot sizes (like 10-11) for each boot which allows for some people to have more space in the toe box which is not good.
SUGGESTIONS: the ankle exterior lace has a hiking-boot-like hook with teeth on the lace loop. When tightening AND LOOSENING pull the laces straight up vertically and not laterally, otherwise the laces will catch the teeth and not move. I struggled to loosen the laces until I discovered this. Also, to keep the laces from getting tangled you might try keeping the lace handles clipped to the back of the binding and then pulling on the bare laces, or unclipping the lace handle off the binding momentarily.
On another note, I think the duck adjustment switch is the best thing yet. I thought liquidforce and hyperlite and cwb had something with the teeth and bolts system, but I no longer think so. The four hole pattern is not only good for boot-to-board response, but is also good for lack of bolt loosening with use. If I were using my board I am sure I would have had to tighten the bolts between each run (if I didn’t have lock tight thread locker that is) .

BOARD: the landings are AMAZINGLY soft, like a dream, especially if you set the tail in first. I used to think that center spines were the next best wakeboard development, but in comparison to the Future Response Technology center spines are hard as a rock. The boat was small and older and was equipped with a normal ski line cheap wake handle, but despite this I felt like I was still getting great pop, so I would have to say that pop was excellent too. There was only once in the day that I could try a “wheelie”/ tail slide/ manual and I was surprised to find that it was soo easy to initiate it that I found myself on my back swimming. The board is slippery when you want it (doing surface trix) and tracks well when you want it to too. It did take a while getting used to. At first I was worried about it being slippery with the flat bottom, but I was surprised to find it as controllable as any other board I’ve ridden… but maybe more so. The majority of the day I was riding in trafficked chop. Considering I am writing this now with little to no leg/knee soreness I would have to say that the board takes chop very well.

I have not tried a roam, so I can’t give comparisons there… sorry.

I think I’ll consider switching to Slingshot, but not until a year or more. I usually only buy new gear once every other year for financial reasons, and usually switch off from new bindings to new board to new bindings every other year or so. Not long ago I got the CWB Zeus, and so far I have liked them a lot (one tub try-on and once in use at powell) and will be happy with them and my Byerly board from 2004 until my future choices. Till then I will have my eye on Slingshot.
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-03-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
okay before i read all of this...how long did it take you to write it? haha
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-03-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
a while
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-03-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
i wrote it first in word... its 2 pages in word
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-03-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
very good information. it makes me want to try it out so bad...buuut i live in indiana(according to Wakeboard Magazine there is no wakeboarding in IN. we're a wakesurfing state...BS) so there is nowhere for me to demo one.

(Message edited by cwb_fooguitarlz on June 03, 2007)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-03-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
i like getting all the details... i write in details, but my spoken words are not always so. my writting and speaking are quite different i think... if this proves cumbersome than i apologize... sorta
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       06-03-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
I think it's cool that you took the time to write it, and I also like the style you took (like giving information about the research you've done about the brand, etc).

Anyway, good work! In my opinion, it's content like that that adds to the quality of a discussion forum.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-03-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
jeff and everyone who is not near a dealer- if you want to try one just try one when out on a trip/ vacation. then go to the nearest lake and bum a ride. IT WORKS, i do it all the time.

electricsnow- thanx
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-03-2007, 10:21 PM Reply   
Good info Jeremy, thanks for sharing.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-04-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
I have yet to hear a negative riding experience on slingshot yet, I highly suggest everyone get out and try one.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-04-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Great review, you gave good insight into the product.
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-05-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
Way to put Jeremy.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-06-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
Because of my schedule I have not found time to add to the review my last experience.
I used the board again on Monday and was able to catch a ride with the 2nd boat I asked. I am sure that anyone anywhere could do the same. Showing up at the launch ramp with a Slingshot board is like sticking out a HUGE hitchhiker’s thumb. The group that took me was even willing to take my wife along with me as an observer.

The water conditions only had a slight ripple and I was equally blessed with a more advanced rope and boat too. The group insisted I go first, despite I was the guest. The guy who rode after me knew about “flex boards”, but I don’t think he knew enough to pair “flex boards” with “Slingshot.” Initially he was questioning the board, similar to myself. He thought the ride looked “slow” when he watched me while he drove the boat. As soon as he had the board on in the water he was very pleased with the fit of the boots (also similar to my experience). After only a few test cuts and surfs he was grinning… this grin nearly extended out his ears after the first few wake jumps. After his run he made this comment, “I LOVE that board! I love how it cuts, first it butters a bit then just cuts harder the more you sink the edge in! Man I Love that board, I can hold off on the Porsche, I can hold off on the mansion, All I want is that board!” In short, he was sold like I was.

His sister/friend/? Rode the board also and was jumping both wakes within 20 seconds after surfacing. Apparently she had a snowboard background and adapted quickly to the board and loved it all the same, showing smiles and tongue action with every cut. One jump she did I am sure she would have fell on any other board, or at least would have struggled more than she did with the landing. The tail of the board was nearly straight down, but instead of the board impaling the water like a nail through wood it just flexed and set her down with only a mild sketchy swivel. She commented several times about how “Fun” and “forgiving” the board was

Most of the runs we just pushed ourselves as hard as we could and aired it out into the flats. My wife pointed out that not a single landing was accompanied by the “clap” sound of the board against the water. This was also the first time I have been able to clear the wake both heelside AND toeside with the rope out all the way to 75 feet. Normally I ride about 65 feet or my toeside suffers. The driver of the boat especially loved his airing-it-into the-flats-experience, because normally he does not push himself that much in fear of back (and knee) pain/injury (same for myself) The boot laces were easier to deal with time/ experience too… but I think this fact can be applied to many other bindings. (although, I have yet to find the BEST place to clip the lace pulls to ensure they wont slip off… I’m guessing the back of the boot… maybe someone can give a tip here???????????)

Slingshot offers a SUPER fun and forgiving ride that I think will appeal to the youngsters as well as the old men (and women), It will also appeal to those who want to improve their confidence in their riding whether it be confidence against back pains or revamping their mind-set to break-free from the “pansy-ness” inside and replace it with some courage/ “No Fear” (like myself)

P.S. Most likely I will be bringing a Slingshot Response (continuous rocker) to Lake Powell this weekend during the Bro Stock on another rental arrangement. I’ve heard that some “three-stage people” are liking the “continuous board” and vice versa so I want to try it too. If anyone who is going to Powell this weekend who wants to try it, look for me out there. Most likely I (and friends/family) will be borrowing a neighbors old 1970something Glasstron boat with a big air pylon… or I’ll be in some other random boat that picks me up out there :-)
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-07-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
Jeremy,
Your reviews are so complete and they really portray how the boards are for riders of all skill levels. Great job out there!!!!!!!!
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-07-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
I agree with Jared, rest assured my review is coming soon after I get a long session on both boards in the same day.
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-07-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
In terms of where to clip the laces--Jeff, the Slingshot rep who gave me my demo (at the Midwest Militia May Demo Days) had me clip them on the outer most layer of the binding, just on either side of my ankle, at the very top. Does that make sense?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-07-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
yes, but they came off a few times still... maybe i did not push them down far enough or something... long laces and their pull handles flopping arround while riding
i'll be trying again REAL soon
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-07-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
Mine did come off on a crash, Jeff said they will be adding a magnet system to correct that next year, personally I am just going to customize mine a bit.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-14-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
For those who want to know my opinion on the Response experience at the bro stock here it is.

I ended up stuck behind the old 1070’s glasstron with a pylon the whole trip. I was surprised to find how many people still didn’t know what slingshot was. [I figured that people at an event like this would be in the know a bit more than your average wakeboarder(s)] The one person who knew anything and was SUPER excited to even see one in person was Ryan Siebring, (spelling?) from Kauai, Hawaii. His feet were too large, otherwise I’m sure he would have jumped on the chance. Everyone I asked to see if they wanted to ride didn’t seem like they were all that willing to take a stranger. Simply, in my opinion, Bro Stock did not fit my expectations, but it was still an interesting experience, and may have been a better one if I actually camped out on the lake. ANYWAY, the point of all this is to point out that I could not give the two boards accurate comparisons since the boat ride was WAY DIFFERENT and ghetto. Nevertheless I Loved the Response, and as far as I can tell it felt just as comfortable to ride… maybe even a little more so. I can say that I got the most air ever in 70’s-GLASSSTRON-history behind that li’l ol’ boat. I rode the existing rope all-the-way-out (65’) and felt like the rope was going to be yanked out of my hand in both a downward and sideways motion, being as the air I got vertically and laterally was incredible. (note: My dad estimated the said jump to be at least 10 ft. into the flats and probably 6 ft up or more… this one air experience was not a double up either)

Another thing that made this trip a bummer… I have no video of me riding, but I have video of lots of other stuff, because only my dad and I were running the camera.

If I were to make a purchase decision I would like to take both out simultaneously… but other than that I think I like the response better simply because the graphics are better IMO.
Old     (jifffy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-14-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
cliffnotes anyone
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-14-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
IN SIMPLEST WORDS

*Slingshot Boards are amazing and fun boards changing the way you ride in fantastic ways.
*You got to try it to believe it, even if you must thumb a ride to do so.
*Flex boards are the future, maybe not a full overhaul replacement of other boards, but flex technology is here to stay
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-14-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
I rode a recoil last weekend and I LOVE the board!!! It had the softest landings and great pop. It held an edge easily and felt very stable. I did not care for the bindings, but I am in love with my faction bindings. I wish CWB would make the faction binding compatible with the Slingshot mounting patterns. (I understand why they have to be that way) I really plan to buy one, but it will have to wait until there are more bindings available for it.
Old    justinh            06-15-2007, 6:48 AM Reply   
Not to break up the love-fest, but I rode the Recoil 142 and was not impressed. It worked for pressing and for wake tricks, but did neither very well.

Also, a more flexible board should land harder. When you land the boards rocker flattens out.

It was not a bad board it just did not do much for me. The bindings, on the other hand, were terrible.
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-15-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
Justin,
My first few times riding the board I had a difficult time getting used to it because it does ride much different than a normal board. After a couple rides, I figured out the edges and it absolutely poped so much greater than any other board I'd ridden.

As for the landings, if you come down heavy on your front foot, then yes, just like any other board it lands hard. But when you set the tail in first, the rocker does flex out and absord the concussion. It really does work. I didn't hit more than 5 double ups all last summer cause it hurt my knees to bad, I've hit tons this year already on my recoil 142.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-15-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
My review coming soon, the UPS guy just brought me a 142 Recoil, and a 142 Response.

STOKED.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-15-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
It honestly takes at least 2-3 rides to get the hang of the Slingshot boards. I'm taking the Recoil 138 out for my 3rd ride this evening. Each time has gotten better. Last time I rode I boosted probably the biggest scarecrow I've ever done in my life, it felt so good. Justin, I think you should give it a couple more go's and give the boots a chance to break in. I know I'll be getting the '08 setup when they come out as a second board for rails and fun.

(Message edited by stephan on June 15, 2007)
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-15-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
I have the Recoil 138 and totally agree that it takes a few sets to really get it dialed. The board feels better and better with every set. It pops great and lands far softer than any other board that I've ridden. The boots are that way too. They seem to get better with each ride as they break in. In my opinion they are the perfect combination of support where you need it but with perfect side to side flex. They are a little bit of a hassle with all of the laces but it is so worth it considering the comfort and performance. Slingshot seems to have really done their homework.