Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-21-2005, 1:14 PM Reply   
Just had mine winterized today by Offshore Marine near Sussex, NJ. They are a nice place to do business with. I know the owner, Lou. Drop my name if you need service. Lou will hook you up.
Offshore Marine 973-948-7177.

They are a Nautique dealer and offer storage too!
Tell him Dave W. sent you! (Mastercraft Dave)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-21-2005, 4:54 PM Reply   
So what does your marina do and what do they charge? I just had mine in, ran a bit higher than I expected.
Old    gtroit            10-22-2005, 7:43 AM Reply   
explain to someone in florida what winterizing is
Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-22-2005, 8:03 AM Reply   
Drew,

I'm originally from FL and someone had to explain this foreign concept to me too. For those of us up here in the great frozen north our season ends with Winterization. This happens when the temperatures start dropping below freezing. Frozen water can crack your engine componants so engines are flushed with antifreez. Usually other things are done as well like adding a fuel stabilizer. Then in the spring we wake up our favorite toys.

Now there is a great solution to avoid this. Buy a boat with a closed cooling system. This works just like a car and uses a radiator and antifreez to cool your engine instead of lake water. Big bucks though. Outboards can also run all winter since water drains out when tilted down out of the water but uh, It's an outboard.

I,m in VA so Im riding until November dude.

Ride on...
Old    260searay            10-22-2005, 12:11 PM Reply   
All i do is put a kiddy pool under my Out-drive and fill it with anti-freeze. I have a pump that i put in the anti-freeze and run a hose with muffs on it to the drive. Turn the pump on, start the boat and wait untill it gets up to temperature so the thermostat opens and then dump oil in the carb. untill the boat stalls which fogs the heads and thats it. I have an I/O though.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-22-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
Ed, All I can say is Lou is very fair and you get your boat back when promised. He takes extra care of me because we have known each other for about 23 years!

I hate waiting 3-4 weeks to get my boat back from someone for a simple winterization. That's why I take it to Lou at Offshore Marine.

Glen, Closed cooling systems still need some attention in the fall/winter. The cooling systems heat exchanger still has water in it that needs to be winterized or it will freeze and crack. Engine gets fogged, fuel stabilizer added to fuel tank, battery should be removed and placed in a warm area for storage.

Drew, You're lucky you have such a long season! Boating and riding all year must be nice! The only upside for us is that we save alot of gas in the winter ;)