Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    andzei            12-15-2003, 9:19 AM Reply   
Hello Guys!

Next Year coming to states for exchange student, but dunno where?

Which state is perfect for wakeboarding? Florida, California, something else?

How long summer in California?

Please recommend me something...

thanks.
Old    vern            12-15-2003, 10:17 AM Reply   
Nebraska.. LOL
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-15-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
Florida. 12 month summer.

Estonia?

Exchange student program - by no means are you guarenteed a host family that will be into watersports.

My parents hosted exchange students quite a bit when I was growing up. Always a good time. we would have loved to host someone who wanted to wakeboard, just never worked out.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-15-2003, 7:30 PM Reply   
root - why would he need a family that's into watersports? im sure he could find a pull outside of the host family...

andzei - you can't go wrong with california, arizona, texas or florida for wakeboarding.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-15-2003, 8:21 PM Reply   
California has the advantage of snowboarding and surfing (well you can surf in Florida when there are waves). Florida is a great choice if you only are interested in wakeboarding, but even then you need to make sure you end up in Orlando or Tampa since that's the center of wakeboarding.
Old    andzei            12-16-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
cool, thnx dudes!

for rootc: In Estonia only 3 months :S
sucks :P
Old    andzei            12-19-2003, 3:36 AM Reply   
okay,i chosen California and Florida, Florida - Orlando, but which city in California?
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-22-2003, 11:45 AM Reply   
Christopher: It would be ideal to be able to bum a ride whenever but not probable.

Most exchange programs are somewhat anal about what the students do and who they do it with. The students my parents hosted had to have special permission to do anything out of the ordianary, especially wakeboarding. Also, most host families aren't real comfortable letting the students do what ever they want. Usually, host families are older people who don't have a clue to what wakeboarding is. I'm not trying to put a damper on things, but to decide the location of where you stay based on wakeboarding might not be the best idea. Also, host parents are responsible for funding your wakeboard outings. You would be very lucky to get a family that enabeled you to wakeboard as much as you want.

This may have changed, but the host family pics you. You don't pick them.
Old    andzei            12-22-2003, 1:18 PM Reply   
okay, from where was your exchange student?
Today i gave my signature on agreement, it was pretty freestyle, just no tattoos, alcohol, smoke and drugs...
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-22-2003, 4:14 PM Reply   
In San Diego you can wakeboard all year with a wetsuit, I even was able to just wear boardshorts last week but the water is cold. You can ride all year in the bay area where the delta is, but it gets much colder up there.

If you want to surf, then choose a city in southern California. If you just want to wakeboard and snowboard, then pick either a city in the San Francisco bay area or San Diego. In LA it's too far to the lakes.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-22-2003, 4:29 PM Reply   

quote:

In LA it's too far to the lakes.

BWWWAAAAAAAHAHHHHHAAAAAA!!

well, o.k...it is a bit far... ;)
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-22-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   
as the 13K miles in 4 months on my civic can attest to!