Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       06-28-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
This is my first season riding behind a tower and real wakeboard boat....I've got some legit grabs down sollid, and ive got good pop...i can ollie 180 fine the next step in my progression is w2w 180's. Im pretty sure i can nail it if i just try, but i figured before i go out i may as well get some tips from errbody!
Thanks
Old     (boardn197)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-28-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
Make sure to land edging away from the boat on your toes or the boat will tend to pull you around causing you to slide out. Try some one wake 180's from inside the wake landing outside working on landing edging away. Once you have this you'll never miss.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-28-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
Keep the handle in tight and practice edging on your switch toeside. Get comfortable riding in this position on the side of the wake you will be landing, and do some ollies/aggressive cuts. This will help a ton once you start throwing it off the wake and you will stick it no problem.

Oh and have fun with it. I've landed several different inverts but still have more fun doing big poked out fs 1 variations

(Message edited by wakeslife on June 28, 2009)
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       06-28-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
what helped for me was soon as i got in the air i would do a front hand front board grab and pull the 180 around with my hand .might be the wrong way to learn but it worked for me. good luck
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-28-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
i just landed my first 180 myself last weekend i went toe side to heel side which is supposed to be easier but my 2 main pieces of advice are wait tell u are completely in the air to start ur spin and don't drop the rope
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-28-2009, 4:29 PM Reply   
Dont start turning until you are at the peak of your jump, and you really dont need to do much more than let go with your front hand to get the rotation. Otherwise, see all above advice.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       06-28-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
Try some TS 180s. It's easier landing on the switch HS edge than it is landing switch TS IMHO.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       06-28-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
for some reason it also helps me to do a front hand grab in bring it around. Just make sure to switch edges.
Old     (britshorty)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-28-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
I've landed one this year, but always lose control once i've landed. I think I need to work more on my switch riding so every time i'm out I do some edging work first.

Am I right to assume that landing on as much of my toeside edge as possible with knees bent will help maintain control?
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-28-2009, 11:33 PM Reply   
I heard that if you get your 5's down then your 1's should be cake....just sayin'...lmao, just playin bro. We gotta get our 1's man so we can get steezy grab + the 1...then next is a 3, tantrum, and bach roll...ya, we got our work cut out :-(
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       06-29-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
Another suggestion is to learn switch HS 1's . That way you are landing regular toeside and you can now do something from both sides of the wake.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-29-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
Can u jump TS W2W? IMO toeside should be the second trick in every rider's progression.

Everytime you learn a new trick, you should learn the next trick from the other side. This makes you as a rider much more legit, and much more fun to watch.

That being said, the way I coach this trick is to do about 20 inside out 180s (meaning heelside, from directly behind the boat going out over the wake). Focus on keeping your eyes up facing the shore and over your toes on the landings. This will help you get the feel for landing switch, on the transition of the wake. Then do a few big poppy HS wake jumps. Once you have all these down and stored in that muscle memory, take a nice poppy HS jump and at the peak of the jump, simply move your handle over to the other hip (you shouldn't even be thinking spin... just move the handle). For the landing edge slightly over your toes with your head pointing toward the opposite shore.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-29-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
I just landed my first w2w 180 last week. I let go with my lead hand and pull handle to my hip(got this tip on here a while back). I did not concentrate on trying to spin the board. I nailed the landing it felt so effortless. I have been out twice since and havent landed it again. i try to hard to spin the board and always end up sliding out.
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       06-29-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the tips guys. Now all I need is a pull this week and I'll give it a shot!!

With that being said........ looking for a pull this week anywhere from Folsom rollins or Clem ha.
Old     (dyer)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-29-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
The best tip I received for a regular footed heelside 180 is that it is all about the location and pull of the handle. On your way down from the top of your jump, pull the handle with your right hand, turn the handle down and put it in your back pocket. Everything else works itself out if you maintain your balance. It took me a while to believe that that was all it took, but have faith. You can practice the handle in the back pocket move doing ollies off the wake or in the flats.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-29-2009, 5:33 PM Reply   
your welcome michael