Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-08-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
Im picking up my first boat on saturday. I have a few questions about it. It is a 2001 supra launch. It does not have the hydraulic wake plate and it has the rear ballast. No ballast in the front. im just wondering if i will be ok with just the rear tank or if i should get a extra sac and throw it in the bow. Any suggestions would be great. I am very excited because this is my first wake boat and im stepping up from my parents old I/O.

Thanks for the input.

here is a pic

Upload
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-08-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
nice boat, if you only have the rear ballast, i'd go with some sort of additional bow ballast, it will really help the wake if you have less people in the boat..
Old     (mdiddy)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-08-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
sweet boat, The supra's do respond better to front weight more so than in the back, so yes do get something up there.
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-08-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
Does anyone know how much weight is in the rear tank?

also where should i have the wake plate set at?

thanks
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-08-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
The factory tank in the rear should be 400lbs. I had my plate on my 1999 launch in the middle. I have a fly high sac for sale that will fit in the middle ski locker. $90.00 for the sac and pump. You will love that boat. Here is a pic of my old one the day I traded it in.
Upload
Old     (h2omantx)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
I had the Launch SS and added a 500lb sack in the rear compartment and a 500lb sack in the center locker. I couldn't fill them all the way due to the space. I also carried 50lbs of led that I would move to the left or right of the boat to balance the wake if I needed it.

I had the hydraulic wake plate and usually kept it fully up unless we were skiing.

Upload
Upload
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-10-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 launch dd as well..same boat pretty much ..the wake is nice stock but nothing compared to most boats you see nowadays..

I love my wake but its far from stock..i fill stock ballst ,put a 400 pound flyhigh tube sack in the trunk,a 500 pound sack in front of the back seat ,and 1000 pounds in the front locker with a custom sack i had made to fit nicely under there..i plumbed them all in so i only have to fill one sack by hand..

wake is awesome ,everybody loves it ,boat is huge and has lots of space for seating and storage..i have had mine for 7 years with no major issues..
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-10-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
Hey thanks for all the advice guys!

I had the boat out this past weekend and I put a few more hours on it. I was quite impressed with the wake being that I came from riding behind an I/O with no tower. I have to say that the tower really makes it alot easier to clear the wake.

I came to realize that i want more from the wake. So i have to get a sac and throw it in the locker. Its a pretty big front locker so i should be able to fit a pretty big one.

I got a question about the stereo. I have an Ipod and i was wondering what sort of connector i should get to plug it right into the deck. It is a kenwood deck. Not sure if it is the stock one or if the previous owner put it in.

But anyways thanks for the advise about the wake. I cant wait to get back out on it next weekend.
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-10-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
One more question.

What will it do if i put the wake plate all what way up? Will that affect the wake at all. It doesnt have the hydraulic one or else i could just play around with it so i have to set it and forget it.

thanks again
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-10-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
if there is an AUX jack in the front, it should be a normal headphone size plug. Just get a 2.5mm to 2.5mm cord at an electronics store. Verify 2.5mm is headphone size, but im almost positive.
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-10-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
Im not sure if there is an AUX jack in the front but i know there is a red and white rca on the back. Could i just get one of those cables?
Old     (mattbyrne)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-11-2007, 6:31 AM Reply   
While we're talking Supra's I purchased a 2000 Lunch this year and have a couple questions.

1) When taking the boat on and off the trailer the guide post seem to be too close together they leave "chatter" marks on the rub rails, is this normal?

2) The carpet in the rear corner has been wet the last couple of times out I found that water was trapped on the outside of the engine stringer under the gas tank. Is there a way for the water to drain to center of the bilge that is plugged? I took the back seat out but was not able to find anything?

3) My tower is polished stainless I believe anyone have a favorite polish?

4) My hull has some oxidation when doing a polish and wax job how do you handle the area around the decals?

Another Matt with a Launch
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
Bill,

Saw your post about having the 400lb sac in the rear compartment of your 2000 dd. I just got the 2003 ss DD. I was told that the compartment back there is right above the gas tank and if you put a 400# ballast bag on it it will mess it up? Have you had that problem with your set up?
Old     (h2omantx)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-11-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
Leonard - take a look at my pic and you will see a 2x12 pressure treated wood plank running across the compartment. I wrapped the bottom edge every 12 inches with foam to keep a drying space between the carpet the wood. This helps distribute the weight across the tank and keep it from caving in the gas tank.

Matt
1) When taking the boat on and off the trailer the guide post seem to be too close together they leave "chatter" marks on the rub rails, is this normal? - Mine did the same. Loading the boats can be tricky and having good poles and bunks helps a ton.

2) The carpet in the rear corner has been wet the last couple of times out I found that water was trapped on the outside of the engine stringer under the gas tank. Is there a way for the water to drain to center of the bilge that is plugged? I took the back seat out but was not able to find anything? - Unsure.

3) My tower is polished stainless I believe anyone have a favorite polish? - I used a 3m cleaner polish http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/manufacturing_industry/commercial_care/node_723QFNV89Dbe/root_GS3RBW6QFVgv/vroot_BZRDH3QWKFge/gvel_HZZLD8L39Ggl/theme_us_oc_commercialcare_3_0/command_OCHandler/output_html

4) My hull has some oxidation when doing a polish and wax job how do you handle the area around the decals? - What is the condition of the decals? If they look worn, order some replacements from Supra, pull of the old ones and use a orbital buffer with your light compound and wax (wax and the buffer may work without having to use a compound).
Old     (neller0414)      Join Date: May 2007       06-11-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
i have an 00 launch also...hydro plate when wakeboarding its all the way up at 0, i ride stock ballast filled, 270# side sacs on each side of engine, 680# sac in ski locker filled as much as it will fill, and then as many people as i can get to come along. always makes a great wake, rivals the wake of new 80g boats for 1/4 the price.

the only prob im having is that yesterday it started sputtering out...dont know why!? im gonna stop by the local dealer and ask if they know, i filled up on the lake for the first time the other day, and i think they still have same gas from last year. plus my water/gas separator seems full of water all the time. dont know whats going on, but i hope its no big deal. i put 10 gallons of 93 octane in and a can of gas treatment to maybe clean up the half tank of bad gas still in there, but maybe thats not it...any ideas? done thread jacking now, but atleast i gave my fat sac setup lol!
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
Larry,

I have been considering this one:

http://www.boardco.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=11929

Check out the dimensions, my boat is in shop so I can't measure mine but do you think this will fit in the rear compartment and still close the lid? I wonder if you would need the 2*12 fir this one because it may just encompass the whole compartment area and distribute the weight evenly?
Old     (h2omantx)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-11-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
Leonard - That should fit easily. The one I purchased had two straps on it so I could make it smaller or bigger depending on what I wanted. This way I just filled it up until the over flow went out of the boat. I used one sack in the rear locker and then used lead or moved passengers to balance the weight out. That was cheaper and easier to set up.

Nate - sounds like water but could be other things. Condensation can cause that problem if it was stored for a while with less than a full tank of gas.