Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    ibizaboarder            01-18-2005, 7:08 AM Reply   
Im living in spain and I am finding it very hard to find a wakeboarding boat suitable for use in the mediteranean sea. Im now wondering if i can simply add ballast system, or some plates (under the back of the hull), to a normal out board speed boat.
I am by no means an advanced rider, but I want to become one. And that means that I need a relatively good wake.
Does anyone have any ideas? or am I being rediculous.

Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-18-2005, 8:31 AM Reply   
You're not being ridiculous. I've seen pictures of some outboard fishing boats that throw a very nice wake. The problem is that they are not designed to do so, so finding a non-wakeboard-specific boat that throws a good wake could be somewhat of an ordeal. You'd need to buy some sacks and pumps then take them along to test any boat you were looking at.

Just to help you narrow your search, you should look for hulls with the following features:

1. Narrow. Wider I/Os and outboards tend to make wider, rampier, and washier wakes.

2. Deep vee at the bow.

3. Shallow vee at the stern. A boat with a very steep deadrise will also tend to create rampier and/or washier wakes. Look for 20-degrees max though less is better.

Also, keep in mind that many I/Os and outboards will have the following correctable problems when you test drive them:

1. Difficulty maintaining wakeboard speed. This can be resolved with a lower-pitched prop and/or PerfectPass speed control.

2. Porpoising (where the bow oscillates up and down). This can be resolved by fitting a hydrofoil stabilizer onto the outdrive or outboard. This will also help the boat get on plane faster when the outboard/outdrive is trimmed all the way down. If you go with an outboard, be sure to get power trim.

If a boat you are testing exhibits these problems, you will have to consider that they are almost certainly correctable.

Finally, if money is not the issue, you can buy a wakeboard boat with a closed cooling system that is suitable for use in salt water. If you leave the boat in the water, you should have the bottom barrier coated and painted to avoid osmosis and marine growth, and install sacrificial anodes to prevent the corrosion of metal parts below the water line.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-18-2005, 9:09 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2004/mastercraft4.asp

Kinda pricey probably.
Old    ibizaboarder            01-20-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for the expertise. I sense a very difficult road ahead.