Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2004, 7:01 PM Reply   
Thinking about buying either one. I currently ride a 2003 substance 136 which has been ridden hard for 2 years in a row. I dont know if it is true, but boards lose shape over time and use. If so, we have about 3 people who ride it twice a week. Two of us are going pretty big and giving the board a lot of abuse. Plus we hit sliders on it and the board barely has graphics anymore. I really think its time for a new board.
Old    norcal_99            08-02-2004, 7:16 PM Reply   
Simple solution...Demo both, and buy the one you like best.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2004, 7:19 PM Reply   
i hate that answer
I have ridden the substance 138 at liquid forces tour and thought it was awesome. So did all my friends. My board shop doesnt demo and doest carry gator boards. Plus they screwed me over so I dont do business with them.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-02-2004, 7:21 PM Reply   
Don't really know that much about the substance, but my friend Jim that rides with me has always riden hyperlite board until this year when he bought the Ricky G. The first time he rode it, everyone in the boat could tell a difference in his height in every trick. I have never seen such a difference in a board. Until this year I really didn't think a board mattered so much. I'll try to get him on here tomorrow to reply to this and he can tell you more about it.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-02-2004, 8:08 PM Reply   
Substance 138 for sale Leo.
Old    africantapwater            08-02-2004, 8:16 PM Reply   
ive got a substance 138 with alphas sittin in my living room , ill ride it tomorrow for the first ttime tomorrow and ill let you know how it goes
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2004, 8:18 PM Reply   
sorry thane...i want one new for a change.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-02-2004, 8:41 PM Reply   
hey leo,
come down to AR this weekend for the tournament at Norfork and ride my friends Ricky G. It's an awesome lake. You can proably win some cool stuff too, its a small tournament.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-02-2004, 9:00 PM Reply   
check out the new 2004 ricky g
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2004, 9:12 PM Reply   
sounds cool ryan...but i spent the last few days at TSR. so a road trip is out of the question. Thanks though and have fun.
Old    snoobs777            08-03-2004, 7:30 AM Reply   
I bought my sister a Ricky G. Its gotta be the dopest board on the market. Everyone on the boat gets mega height on the board. I feel like I'm floating. I think its like only 6.5 lbs. Easy as h3ll to spin. Excellent for inverts. The only thing I feel its lacking is speed. No matter how close I am to the wake, I want speed the moment I stick my @ss into it. I bought a LF Balance Balsa and it has the speed, light weight, great pop. But the Ricky G has a little smoother feel(especially in chop), lands a little softer, and is looser when flat but not to loose. I was suprised that the Ricky G landed softer because the Balsa is suppose to have more flex. Right now, the Balance is the board for me but I still day dream about the perfect Ricky G. board. I heard the shape is suppose to change a little for 05(dont know if its true). I hope that it works out that its the same board but faster. The speed for me is the only downfall.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
tha ricky -g- is da dope!
~DMC~
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-03-2004, 10:30 AM Reply   
I don't know much about the subsance, but I ride the Ricky G. and love it. It has huge pop. I ride it finless. It still holds a real good edge without the fins. It's just a fun board period.
Old    r_dub            08-03-2004, 10:37 AM Reply   
I agree with Jim. Never rode the Substance, but I love my Gonz. Toolfan is the only person I know of that has the 05. Ive been waiting for him to post a review.

(Message edited by r_dub on August 03, 2004)
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-03-2004, 11:13 AM Reply   
I feel so guilty now. I'm swamped at work and Doom 3 just came out. I just dont have time. If only I could find my Flux Capacitor this problem would be solved.
Old    r_dub            08-03-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
Send it to me, I'll give it a test ride for ya!

Hey, when you were little, did you think Michael J Fox was the coolest, since he had that whole skateboard, tail kick to the hand thing down. I know I did!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-03-2004, 11:32 AM Reply   
Little?!?!?! I still do.

Sometimes I dont shave for months and put on my letterman's jacket and with the aid of my trampoline do monter dunks on my basketball goal and.....pretend I'm Teen Wolf.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-03-2004, 1:30 PM Reply   
I dont think anyone knows what the '05 is going to ride like yet, except for Gonzales himself, but the '04 is a sick board (extremely similar to the '03 and earlier premier, although they say not the same mold). The substance has tons of pop and is super light. I say if you are happy with the substance, then keep riding it. I switch back and forth between a substance and a '04 premier. Stupid as it sounds...I am way more consistent on the premier, but don't go nearly as big. I like to get tricks worked out on the premier and then go back to the substance to go big. It's going to be all personal preference and you'll get a ton of different opinions, but I say the substance is faster and pops harder, but the gonzales gives a more consistent pop, but that may be just the way I ride the two boards. I definitely flip better on the substance.

Just my opinion
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-04-2004, 11:40 PM Reply   
hey leo,
so you gonna try to demo the ricky somewhere or ar you gonna get the substance?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-05-2004, 5:58 PM Reply   
Probably getting a ricky without demoing. I am going to take your word for it. I love the substance but I don't like buying the same board two years in a row. If I hate the ricky then maybe I will sell it, but I doubt it, I am not that picky.
Old    backsplit            08-05-2004, 7:00 PM Reply   
i bought it without demoing...i ride it for the first time tomaro
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2004, 7:03 PM Reply   
You won't sell it. You'll love it, I promise! But, just in case you would want to sell it, let everyone on here know because I'm sure it wouldn't take u long to sell it!!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-05-2004, 8:01 PM Reply   
I wont sell it. Im sure I will like it. I was just wondering if it was as good or better then the substance because it is a pretty awesome board. Although it really isnt the board, its the rider. im sure I will do fine on it.
Old     (dbo)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-06-2004, 12:35 AM Reply   
hey leo i still have the gonzalez for sale. it is posted in the selling forums.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-06-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
Derek - your's is an '04.
Old    dbogart            08-06-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
leo-not to change the subject- but what happened with your bud with the spina bifida? how's he doing??
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-06-2004, 3:17 PM Reply   
He isnt riding at all. Thanks for your concern david. Supposedly all he is doing is wake surfing which isnt that bad. He is pretty good rider...check the results from the 2003 pro wakeskate tour, he was tied for 24th-dead last. But he is still a cool guy and really helps this sport in my redneck fishing state of louisiana
Old    dbogart            08-06-2004, 3:21 PM Reply   
well at least he is still in the water...i wish him well.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-06-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
it is still sad. He found out because a boat trailer came off the trailer hitch and he tried to pick it up. While doing so he sprained his back and went to the doctor who broke the news. If it wasnt for the doctor, he would have kept riding until he was in a wheel chair.
Old    dbogart            08-06-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
you know leo im a chiropractor and i still find it hard to beleive that this guy is at that age and has this debilitating condition. i dont doubt he has spina bifida, i just doubt the severity of it. i know the disease has some serious sides to it, but i always assumed it was the spina bifida that presents at a young age (occulta vs. vera). i would strongly encourage him to get a second opinion from another doctor.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-14-2004, 6:45 PM Reply   
Ok, I finally got my ricky G. I have to say this board is awesome. My dad knows very little about wakeboarding except for driving the boat and he says I was going higher and farther into the flats then usual. I liked the board much better without the middle fins, I took them off after my first fall. I landed every 180 smooth and into the flats. I cant really tell if the pop was excellant until I see a video. I didnt land a raley which was odd. My tantrums were super smooth until I hit a slump and sucked at them again. I love the board and I think it rides as good as the substance. This time no one else is using the board unless they pay me $50.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-14-2004, 11:23 PM Reply   
thane how much 4 your substance