Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-24-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
So i heard through the grapevine that the guys over at Wet Sounds were redesigning the G3 tower speaker bracket. Fresh off the press. Supposed to be available in 2 weeks. This is a big improvement over the first version released back in the beginning of the year. Good work guys.

Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-26-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
Much better!
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-26-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
That is not a redesign, that is a direct copy. Still, it looks great and is a big improvement.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-27-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
I don't know that 'copy' would be entirely accurate. Samson designed and milled their G3 plate, which Exile resells, simultaneously and independently of Ronnie Hurd's Bullet HollowPoint flat G3 bracket/plate which was released about the same time. Ronnie had been in contact with Wetsounds via a local dealer about his design long before anyone saw the Samson bracket. Wetsounds ultimately needed different dimensions to facilitate both the 60s and 80s plus they were not in as large of a hurry since they had/have a large stock of G3 shelves. We made numerous MDF templates but couldn't get them produced at a competitive price so we left it to others. The fact is that several groups envisioned the same solution independently of one another. Kind of pointless to keep score on this stuff as I haven't seen a really innovative or exclusive idea in tower speakers for a very long time. Everything is a repackaging or refinement of a former idea. Name one innovation and someone can trace its origin.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-27-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
David - Samson does supply Exile with several mounts but the G3 tower design was definitely a collaborative effort because of its complication. You may recall, There where many threads about the consumer dissatisfaction with the after-market shelves, several brands where using at the time. In truth, guys from Exile and Samson spent about 4 days at the local Malibu dealer ship, discussing, brainstorming, and sketching idea's how to integrate a solution to the G3 tower. From those meetings Exile designed the solid works models that where then CNC cut by a out of house company. It took both to pull this one off..

To the community talking about copy this copy that: It really does not matter. If we helped raise the bar and create a method of execution that other companies can benefit from, so be it. Ultimately, our design has created derivatives that benefits owners of G3 towers. In this case WS. And it sounds like Ronnies, has helped the Bullet camp.

Bravo Tim. The bracket looks nice.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-27-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
When considering the original shelf solutions for the G3 tower, I would consider the G3 plate to be innovative. If Malibu had kept the original Illusion speaker mounting locations intact on the G3 this would all be moot. They designed an incredible tower, but dropped the ball on the speaker mounts. Either that or they tried to make it difficult to mount anything but a factory speaker on their tower. Either way, I am happy to see innovative solutions from the after market.
Old     (RonnieH)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-27-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
Doesn't anyone remember back a few months ago when the popular talk was that the shelf systems for these towers sucked? Now several companies have stepped up and created a solution to these complaints. Several posters on this site and TheMalibuCrew.com can only complain now that they are similar? REALLY!! I promise you that these companies looked at many different solutions, probably designed/machined several different pilot parts (read $$$), and these products are the best solution that they all came up with to solve a problem that none of them created. Sampson/Exile brackets fit their speaker systems. Mine, and I expect Tim's, will fit Wetsounds plus most speakers that will bolt to the Illusion style towers and they are all quality solutions. What else do you want from these systems? The solutions are out for these towers now, developed for you because you didn't like what was out there. Just pick the one that you like for your system and thank the guys that are trying to make your systems better, no matter which camp you are in.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-27-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
Great job Tim and WS crew and well put Brian. Looks very nice.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-27-2010, 2:05 PM Reply   
I will rephrase your honor.........the new WS bracket looks a lot like brackets that were made available to the public months ago. The OP's use of "redesigning" and "fresh off the press" kinda pushed my bitch button. As a G3 owner, I use none of the products mentioned in this thread, so it is safe to say I am not in any "camp", but I am happy to have so many options available.
Old    mojo            09-27-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
could that really be that hard of a piece to make? measure twice, cut once.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-27-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
^^^^^No, its really easy. You just need a porch, a rocking chair, a hounddog at your feet, a straw between your teeth, a good whittling pocketknife and a good chunk of aliminum. That's how we do all our best stuff.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-27-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
David...........I saw it coming, but I did not expect it to be so damn funny!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-27-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
Other than the chunk of aluminum, that sounds like people up in my area......
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-27-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
Not to call you out, but it's aliminum.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-27-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
yeah, I guess its that special softer whittling grade. I mean whittlin'.

Last edited by david_e_m; 09-27-2010 at 4:02 PM.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-27-2010, 5:37 PM Reply   
Since you guys are all so smart and like to debate....the winner is crowned masterdebator!!!

Which came first - the chicken or the egg?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-27-2010, 8:55 PM Reply   
Well if the chicken came first how is this possible without an egg but how could there be an egg without there first being a chicken. Maybe the first chicken was actually a mutation. I'm so confused. What was the question again?