Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-01-2012, 6:55 PM Reply   
Tomorrow is shaping up to be an epic day. A couple of weeks ago the Harringtons got a brand new 2012 Supreme V226, but that is old news now since they are cranking the hours on that sucker making up for lost time, wakesurfing their brains out. We met a new group that came to the West Coast Wakesurf Open called Mendonesia Surf. Apparently they are shapers and into pro ocean surfing and breaking into wakesurfing. They want to come ride with us and we said "Let's Go!". They have a brand new, newly wrapped 2012 Enzo 240 and they are bringing it, and we are hitting the lake, with 6 cameras and the pontoon for chase, can't wait. Frank and Chris Wolter and Mitch Lemos should also be in attendance and its shaping up to be one of those EPIC wakesurf days. Who wants to bet Dennis calls in sick? On a Monday, the conditions are going to be amazing. 90 degrees and barely a breeze, I am giggling like a school girl.

Pictures and video to come.
Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-01-2012, 10:53 PM Reply   
Dude, you are so friggin lucky!!! Be safe and post up some pics, for those of us that will be at work daydreaming at the lake.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-02-2012, 7:00 AM Reply   
wow. 90 sounds nice.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-02-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
@john lol, yeah, you guys bought some bad weather, then you left, and it got nice again!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-03-2012, 5:06 AM Reply   
We had 6 cameras (4 video and 2 SLR) and shot 90GB of video and 2800 stills. I am definitely going to be putting up more video and stills from today (yesterday now), but I wanted to share the highlights, so much fun.

First, the boats were sick and the wakes were Juicy.

2012 Centurion Enzo 240

IMG_3491 by wake9, on Flickr

2012 Tige Z3

IMG_6522 by wake9, on Flickr

2012 Supreme V226

IMG_4922 by wake9, on Flickr

Chris couldn't stop talking about a new board he has been trying out from Mendonesia Surf. To summarize, Mendonesia is a pro ocean surf company and this is there first wakesurf board that is not a "mini ocean board". Chris was pounding out some great tricks on the Supreme and the Enzo, and here he is grabbing some hang time behind the Enzo.

IMG_3392 by wake9, on Flickr

Todd Johnson is a pro ocean surfer and the shaper and doesn't ride frontside much behind the boat but showed some great skill behind the Z3. Stills don't do so hot on many tricks, and his style, you gotta see the video, Todd has a great style that was obviously honed in the ocean. He wanted to show Chris he could get some hang time as well.

IMG_5530 by wake9, on Flickr

RJ has been in wakesurf nirvana lately. He has been riding the TWP Bomb Pop and loving that board, switches over to his Soulcraft 4.8 Fangtail, and then can finish a session on his Shred Stixx 4.8 Custom Pro, all great boards that he loves. He gets on this new board and starts giggling again, like he does when he rides something fun, and new, that he likes. Its a quad fin with tons of drive, but its FAST also, I could tell right away watching him. It also has no pearling issues and holds a bottom turn as well as a Shred Stixx Custom. This board seemed to have both that pumping drive and great down the line speed, and tons of pop. RJ started boosting some serious air.

IMG_5900 by wake9, on Flickr

And pretty consitently.

IMG_5909 by wake9, on Flickr

Whitney tried a Victoria Skim board for the first time borrowed from Janelle. I think its going to cost me because Whitney was a butt hair from landing her first 360. Up to this point, she could only do what we call a "hard left". Here she is almost making that 3.

IMG_6202 by wake9, on Flickr

Frank was having fun behind the Supreme and did a lip slide while telling Rob how much he loved him. (this much)

IMG_4712 by wake9, on Flickr

Alexis is going to catch Jesse soon, she is rocking her Phase 5 scamp.

IMG_4791 by wake9, on Flickr

Todd showed the "skill of the Sher" riding back side on the new board behind the Supreme.

IMG_4914 by wake9, on Flickr

Mitchy the kid riding in the sunset, getting some great pop off the lip with his new Victoria.

IMG_6790 by wake9, on Flickr

The rope caught my sunglasses and they fly off into the water and Mitch saves the day diving off the wake and snagging them. Mitch saved me some coin and some serious chewing out from Amy since I just lost my maui jims this way a week ago.

IMG_6806 by wake9, on Flickr

continued...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-03-2012, 5:08 AM Reply   
Check it out, Mitch got some air like a real man.

IMG_6823 by wake9, on Flickr

We laughed so hard. Mitch goes for the shuv 3 and flys the board over the wake and his donkey kick turns into a donkey sprint. He ran in mid air like he was running away from his prison bunk mate. Pretty darn funny, the video is pretty awesome.

IMG_6860 by wake9, on Flickr

Frank gets up right between the Enzo and the Supreme, cool shot.

IMG_6884 by wake9, on Flickr

So its getting late and Chris finally gets over to the Z3 and I take a few shots of the board. Convex? Really?

IMG_7149 by wake9, on Flickr

Chris was NOT going to stand for RJ hitting bigger air than him on his board. So Chris says, "air is for the weak, I prefer orbit." No joke, I have an 18-200 lens and I was at 18 and after a couple of his airs I had to move the camera in the boat more to get him in frame, he leaped OUT. That board combined with the Z3 lip launched him. Frank was sitting next to me and just about stood up.

IMG_7196 by wake9, on Flickr

You can just see the blood dripping from his nose.

IMG_7324 by wake9, on Flickr

The speed and forgiveness of this board was very noticeable. Chris was landing stuff I haven't seen him land before and recovering with ease.

IMG_7424 by wake9, on Flickr

We rode Chris in and you can see the full moon on the lake, it was an amazing cap to the day.

IMG_7622 by wake9, on Flickr

Summer nights at Lake Oroville at its best.

IMG_7642 by wake9, on Flickr

We closed the lake down and didn't make it to Taco Bell til 10:30 so we had to go through the drive through and eat ghetto style in the parking lot.

IMG_1659 by wake9, on Flickr

What a memory.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-03-2012, 1:55 PM Reply   
Who's Got It Better Then Us?!!

NOBODY!!!

LoL stolen from the 49ers Jim Harbaugh!!

It can and always will get better ...... but 3 brand new boats ...... a bunch of awesome families ...... great riders ....... and more fun then you can almost imagine!!!!

Truly an Epic Monday!! we got home at 1:30 and poor mitch still had to drive another 45 minutes!!

@Robert: the only thing i can think of to make it better is next time ill try and have a catered meal
waiting for us at the dock at night!!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-03-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
if you have a spare room, I'll come live with ya'all, I'm a great chef!! and would love to cook for you guys! I'll prob need 2 jobs to be able to live in Cali tho! Looks like another epic day on the watar!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-03-2012, 2:46 PM Reply   
@tony You and harold will just have to come up and stay with us for a weekend, and we can do something like this on a friday, everyone can come back to our house and you can do that chef stuff and feed everyone, we can bbq til 1am and then have a cigar, sleep it off the entire next day. Now THAT would be another epic day. Bring the families of course.

@frank, TB in the parking lot, that is catered bbq to a beaner like me. ;-)

Having 3 boats like that and everyone just switching around and all the boards we had, way too much fun. If we had more people we could just anchor the pontoon and kids could swim off it all day. The weather was SO perfect, I love weather up here. It was about 90 during the day, it was hot, but in the evening it cooled down to the high 70s, so just warm enough to be warm after a day in the water, PERFECT. The lake is at 900 feet elevation, and then we went to Taco Bell at about 1500 feet and I looked, the temp was 74 degrees, then we headed up home and it dropped to a beautifully cool 65 degrees at 3000 ft. LOVE IT.

Something happened that was kinda interesting/funny when we were all chatting while the supreme and the enzo were getting wiped down for the trailer ride home. The Mendonesia/Enzo crew is from Pacifica and Frank loves to surf in the ocean in Santa Cruz. They started arguing (it was friendly and fun) about which was the better break, and why. I didn't say anything, but it made me laugh. The Mendo guys love Pacifica, and Frank loves his break in Santa Cruz, you could have taken their conversation and substituted boat brands.

We had 3 different surf breaks on the lake yesterday, the Enzo break, the Supreme break and the Z3 break. No one fought or put down anyone elses, every wake was enjoyed by all, but each had his favorite(s). No different than if the Mendo guys came up to Santa Cruz to surf with Frank or vice versa, except we got to all surf 3 endless breaks on Lake Oroville harmoniously.

Last edited by ragboy; 07-03-2012 at 2:50 PM. Reason: typo and grammar
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-03-2012, 11:22 PM Reply   
That's a Great Analogy Robert about the Boats ...... well stated!!

I am a Huge Fan of Todd from Mendonesia Surf!! Everything he has Brought to the sport since we have known him from coaching, theory, shaping and making a board, explaining the hows and whys of the dynamics of what's going on behind the boat, to riding, and everything that has to do about surfing behind a boat ...... he has been 100% right on the money so far!!

The board they made for Chris is the first one he shaped!! Shaped and painted in 2 days and glassed in 2 weeks!! The quality is first class!! This was the Third time out on the new board exclusively and every day out Chris gets more and more performance out of the board or vice versa LOL!! A fin change is coming I believe to make the Board even better .... but the Board Rocks!! The airs behind the Tige were the biggest I've ever seen and that was not even supposed to be the strong point of the Board .... the control and forgiveness was what they were after and that was achieved!! I can't wait to see Chris get a few more days of riding this board!! I can't wait to see the next Board they make!! Chris just turned 17 and I can't wait to see what the future brings as Todd works with him more and more on riding and board design!!

I always believed the ocean surfers would have a lot to offer to Wake Surfers if they were inclined to do so ..... and so far Mendonesia Surf has proven this to me!!

This Sport just keeps getting funner and funner and funner!! And Epic Days like we had on Monday are pure and simple Proof!!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-04-2012, 4:41 AM Reply   
Robert sounds like fun Tony is a great cook LOL could you please PM me your address. Clairity lost it and would like to write to Maddie she keeps hounding me to get it for her.Looking foreword to seeing you guys at the NWWSO
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-04-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
WOW, just when I think you all cant have anymore fun, you prove me wrong....again.
Hope Polar bear is a recap!