Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-19-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
I picked up a new Chevy 2500 duramax last night and need new tires and wheels asap as the stockers are pretty ugly and small. I'm thinking 33's on 20's or maybe 35's. Does anyone know if i need a leveling kit, lift, etc. for either of those sizes? Post some pics of your duramaxs if you have done anything similar or have any suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-19-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
What size are stock? 31's?

33's should fit, without a lift.
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-19-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
stock are 245/75-16, not sure of the conversion to inches but it looks around 31" maybe a little less
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-19-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
A couple tires to look at:

Cooper Discoverer AT's And STT's. Saw the STT's last night and they look mean. Cooper Tires are American made and very nice.

Nitto Terra Grapplers, come highly acclaimed.

Pro Comp Extreme AT's, nice highway manners and very aggressive. Made by Cooper and are Quality, I would have gotten those if I could do it all over again.

I run BF Goodrich AT/TA, about a 33", on my F250. I have stock 18" Rims. I think my truck would look nicer sitting up an inch or two on 35's. I like the BFG's, but have heard alot of problems with them not balancing right, mine are fine though and are wearing well and have not effected my gas mileage and are nice on the highway and do OK off road and in snow. They do everything well, but nothing spectacular, a great all around tire.

Rims?? Oh man, there are tons out there. I like the black painted rims personally, they just look cool, but they probably would not go with my white truck.

Check out this site, they have a great gallery for ideas for all kinds of trucks.

http://www.trucktoyzperformance.com/

Congrats on the oil burner, you will love towing with it.

(Message edited by Flux on July 19, 2007)
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-19-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
I have always liked these

Hit up Jon @ airraily911@aol.comUpload
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-19-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
yeah shane those wheels that bryan posted above are pretty similar to the ones on aaron's hummer we were talking about last night...

I have always been under the impression with the chevy's you can adjust the front (level it) by just cranking the torsion screws. Does anyone know if you can still do that with the new bodystyle? I bet you could get 35's under there and might just get a little rub????
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
33 x 12.50 will fit a 1500 not lifted.
Tires are Mudd Graplers and 20" Eagle AlloyUpload
Upload
Old    malibu_nut            07-19-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
^^^^ you can adjust it by adjusting the torsion bars but it messes with your alignment and puts a huge damper on your ride quality.
Old    mendo247            07-19-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
It all depends on how bad you want your tires to rub.. If you crank your torsion bars you can fit 33's.. however you will have to trim the schnit out of your front valance and your inner fender liner and most likely they will still rub on tight turns and driveways.. after cranking your torsion bars your ride will be really rough and your cv angles will be horrible.. 35's you will need a lift..

Id suggest going here and reading the wheel and tire and also the suspension areas..

www.thedieselplace.com
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
I might be wrong but I thought 2500's had springs in the front. So all you need is the spacers from a leveling kit.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
Mine only rub in reverse on tight turns to left. I would love to lift it just couldn't afford all that at once. Richard I love your profile pic how much weight is in that thing?
Old    mendo247            07-19-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
Blair, chevys dont have springs in the front, torsion bars.. Not sure how much weight that exact day, maybe 2500-2800..
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-19-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
I personally would not do 20" rims for a few reasons:

1. If it's a 4x4 it makes no sense. If you used it off-road you would damage the rim and the sidewall of the low profile tire; not to mention riding too rough.
2. Tires are way more expensive compared to a 17" or even 18"
3. They will be heavier than the same rim in a smaller diameter which translates to worse gas milage and performance. You can off-set this somewhat by buying expensive forged aluminmum wheels.
4. I think it looks ghetto

I would do a 17" or 18" tough-looking truck wheel with a 33" or maybe 35" tire. The Nitto Terra Grapler in 295/70/17 is a 34" tire. BFG AT/KO and Nitto Terra Grapplers are both very popular and great all-terrain tires. Stay away from mud-terrain if you want to maintain a quiet, smooth ride. Mickey Thompson ATZ Baja looks really sweet but I have never used them. The thing about after market wheels is that it's hard to buy larger wheels and tires with the right backspacing or off-set so they don't stick out from the fender too much. If you're wanting something extreme this isn't an issue but if you're wanting to keep it somewhat stock looking while significantly steping up to a larger tire then most times the tire will stick out from the truck a few inches. Which is not my cup of tea. If this is important to you then pay attention to the backspacing.

www.bigcustomwheels.com has a calculator that graphicly shows you how changes in any wheel or tire parameters will look.

My father-in-law just bought a new Chevy 2500 and it's a really nice truck. The thing with GM trucks though is that they almost always require more lifting than a Ford or Dodge to fit larger tires. I can't speak from experience with the new 2500 but I bet you'll need to lift it to fit 35" without rubbing.

You bought the Duramax so no worries about towing. However, larger tires effectively change your gearing and decrease your twoing ability and gas milage compared to smaller diameter tires. You'll be fine either way towing a wakeboard boat with a diesel but if you were towing a large horse trailer or something I would tell you to stay with 33" or less.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-19-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
Yep, what Chad said, very good advice.

I increased my overall tire diameter by less than one inch from the stock tires, but I don't intend to lift my truck as I want it to retain it's highway handling characteristics, which is it's primary job anyway. Also make sure whatever diameter rims you get fit properly over your rotors. I have 18", but can't put 17" rims on my truck.

I also need a shock upgrade, Ford puts junkers on their trucks for some reason, I want some Bilsteins, the next upgrade.
Old     (socalf150rider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-19-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
thanks for the shout bryan... yea hit me up i can def. work you out a deal. REV-WHEEL.com
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-19-2007, 1:59 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice so far everyone. I am going to head over to Les Schwab with a more educated opinion and see what they are willing to make me a deal on. Will post some pics when it is done.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-19-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
Just for future reference, here is a metric tire conversion calculator, if anyone is interested...http://www.raingler.com/tech/metricTire.asp
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-19-2007, 5:15 PM Reply   
Mine are 35's. They are on a 2002 4x4 dmax with 325-65x18 nitto terra grapplers on 18x9 wheels with a 6" lift. It rides great.
Upload
Upload
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-19-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
I agree with some of the others, anything over 18" is just WRONG... especially on a 3/4 ton
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-23-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
well i guess shane is in the wrong cause he put 20s with 33s and it looks sick :-) way better than 18s would!!
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-23-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
33x13.5's rolling on 20's. 6" lift

Upload
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-23-2007, 3:45 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice. I had les schwab mount an 18 and a 20 with the 33's and the 20s looked better so i went with it.
Upload
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-23-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
Not to put Shane's truck down, I'm sure it looks good from a purely asthetic point of view, as does Blair's truck. However, looks are subjective; damaged rims and tires when you hit a rock or even a curb at 30mph (like I once did)are not.

I think Aarons looks better. Less bling due to the black wheels but I envision that truck actually going off-road. I really don't mean any offense to anyone here but I just don't understand why you mount mud tires on 20" wheels or 20" wheels period on a 4wd.

I believe in "function before fashion."
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-23-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
i just think it looks better. ford puts 20's on a 1 ton from the factory. trends change. to each his own. i would have bought an old jeep if i wanted to be serious about off roading. i had the same tires on my last truck and they also do excellent in the snow, which is where i spend a lot if time in the winter.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-23-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
chad sorry but fashion before function.

with a 33 on a 20 he still has way more tire than most and if you were serious about off roading you wouldn't buy a 2500.

are 22s on my denali functional? hell no! but they look damn good :-)

heres a question? would you rather see a hot girl in sweats on a mini skirt? sweats would be function over fashion?
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-23-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
not the function I'm thinking of... takes to long take off.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-23-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
Chad, have you driven a truck with 20's on it? If not, drive one and you will see why put 20's on it - handles like a mofo compared to the big spongey 18's. I have 305/50/20 Toyo Open Country and you would have to hit something at 100+mph to get that sidewall to squish down to the rim, it's close to a 6" sidewall and my tires are only 32.8" tall if I remember right.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-23-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
The pic of Shane's truck wasn't up when I wrote that post. It does look good, beautiful truck!

I just use my truck as a jack of all trades... towing my boat, Home Depot, lumber yard, miles of unpacked sand to get to great fishing spots, muddy hunting trips, etc as well as daily driver. I stay away from rock crawling because that's too extreme for my truck.

I have 17" wheels and 33" tires. I can see getting away with 18" wheels but evertime you go up in size your making it ride rougher, more prone to wheel damage, cost more, and 33" tires on 20" wheels don't work in deep unpacked sand.

btw, I would use a 2500HD for off-road. Not if I was trying to win the Baja 1000 but for what I do I would. The solid axles and suspensions are more suited to it than IFS.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-23-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
Timmy,

Yes, I have driven trucks with 20" wheels but not off-road unless you count open pasture where the biggest hurdle were cow patties.

That same stiff sidewall that resist flexing and gives you great on-pavement handeling hurts you everywhere else. You could easily damge something at speeds far less than 100mph. It also doesn't allow you to air down the tire for more traction when you need to.

There is a balance to be had and looks are important to me too. It just kills me when I see someone spend the extra $3K for 4wd and then put low-profile tires on it. Then if they lower it....! You might as well buy a porsche and put a lift kit on it.

If all you do is tow your boat then you'll probably never regret your decision... unless a lady in a 4Runner pulls out in front of you and forces you to take a rather large curb at 40mph like what happended to me. Don't get me wrong, I love Shane's truck... I'd trade him anyday. I would just have put 18" on it with a 35" tire for a nice balance between function and fashion.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-23-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
I would also recommend the BF's and Nitto's as well. I can tell you that the BF's by far are one of the smoothest offroad tires on pavement. Never had a chance to try the Nitto's as I needed tires ASAP and they would have had to order them and would have taken a week. A week w/o a truck would have killed me.

I personally like the 18 with some tires especially on the Pick-em-up trucks.

I am running the BF's on my Yukon 285/75/16 and love them, but again couldn't wait for the Nitto Grapplers. I will also say they do alot of things well but not spectacular. Very quiet and smooth as far as a AT goes.... buds however swaear by the Nitto's. They have different trucks and different years so cant comment on the Nitto's ride compared to mine. If I recall correctly at the beginning of this year Motor Trend and Car and Criver did some reviews of these tires and Nitto's Grappler was rated #1 and BF TAKO's were a very very close#2

I am happy with mine I am very close to a 33 at 32.8 according to the calculator with no Lift and zero rub. But haven't been off-roading :-) Hard to find trails here in the urban jungle

NOt to hyjack, but you guys with the rims are you getting your speedo's and stuff recalibrated. I have tried and everyone around here looks at me like I am nuts and say they can't won't do it. I thought it would be as simple as hooking up an ecm and changing the tire size.

(Message edited by xstarrider on July 23, 2007)
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-23-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
33x13.50x20 Irok Super Swampers. Noisy but I love the look, I can live with the noise.
Weld Racing Cheyenne 6's 20x10.
Upload
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-23-2007, 11:04 PM Reply   
How about some 24's?
Upload
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-24-2007, 6:27 AM Reply   
shane... looks good... now clean that truck
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
35'-12.5's Cooper Discovery SST's on 17' Eagle Alloys.

Upload
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-24-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
Aaron, is that pic form the SBR bridge. Im in Pearland. Need to hook up sometime and ride. I have an 04 GG, but lookign to sell it and buy bigger
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-25-2007, 12:58 AM Reply   
http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/HOTLOT/?action=view&current=CodysChevy008.jpg
http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/HOTLOT/?action=view&current=CodysChevy001.jpg

if someone could post those i would really appriciate it!
Old     (socalf150rider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-25-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
whats the thought on these?
i might put them on my truck
its called the 808 DIRTY HARRY
Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-25-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
To hard to clean
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-25-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
I run axis war lock on my excursion 20X10. Can't lift mine because it won't fit in the underground parking garage at work...

Upload

Upload
Old     (socalf150rider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-25-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
awwweee i have never been in one never seen one in person but CALABRIA's look so sick nice boat
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       07-25-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
How is parking an excursion in a parking garage?

I didn't think that was possible.
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-25-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
Jon (socalf), you're welcome behind my boat anytime you're in the Oklahoma area... I thought the same thing first time I saw these. Actually this is my second. I had an 05 and bought this 06 because I liked the color scheme a bit better. It seats 15 people easily and have done it without anyone even up front. They're huge inside... My buds have Supra's so we usually put the girlz on mine and ride behind the Supra's. Although mine puts out a great wake for everyone except pro riders. I've got a buddy that rides Outlaw and throws everything behind mine without the fat sacs filled. Not to start a crazy long thread here but my opinion from owning Nautique, Bu, Supreme, and supra. These are the best boats for the $$$$. I'll only change brands again if a cool boat comes out with a port-a-toliet somewhere so I can write it off under my corporation.

Jon (4pres), I've got about an inch and a half from my roof rack in the garage I park in. I park in two slots on an end. Not ideal but can't buy a ford focus to drive to work...just wouldn't be right!
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-25-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
Hey guys, my current tow vehicle is a 2005 F-150 Super crew but I'm looking to upgrade to an F-250 or a 2500 Duramax. Just looking for some feedback on how you like them, performace, towing power, etc. Thanks!
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-25-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
BB12, I have driven both and having a duramax.... i have to say that the duramax is the way to go. the fit and finish in it is just bar none and the motor runs sooooo nicely!
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-26-2007, 7:31 AM Reply   
bb12, that's the exact path I took from an F150 supercrew to my diesel. Drive them both and make a decision or buy an Excursion ;0)
Old     (morty)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-26-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
Detonate 69 do you have a lift on your expedition? I have a four wheel drive expedition and have been thinking about getting some 20's on mine and yours look pretty good.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-26-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
Morty, I have a 2" spacer lift. I also did a little trimming to get no rubbing with the 13.50 width. you could probably fit 12.50 wide tires without trimming but you'd still need the spacer lift.