Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-09-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
i was just wondering if it was illegal, and im probley goin to do it any way. Limo or 20% i know u cant see out at night wit limo but it looks so much better
Old     (muckinaround)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-09-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
Never heard any laws regarding tint on a boat. I can't see there being any. I've got limo on mine and love it!
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-09-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
nice thx man
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-09-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
this is the whip 20% or 5%
Upload
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-09-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
I have 20% on mine and like it better. On my friends, he has 5% and the sun will glare a reflextion off the windsheild of the dash.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
Depends on the state. And it depends on where your at as to whether or not you'll get messed with about it.

It's illegal here in WA. I've seen a few guys do it on Sammamish over the years & never have problems. But had a buddy on the Columbia River get pulled over by the Coast Guard & they basically told him to remove it or get off the water.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       02-09-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
Upload

Got mine tinted last year and love it!
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-09-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
really, thats crazy if the coast gaurd pulls u over for it lol, nice boat brandon
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
I think it has to do with whether or not your on navigable waters or not. The Columbia River in the TriCities area has tons of boat traffic, barges, hydro races, etc. Sammamish is a boat that is strictly pleasure boats. So it just might depend on where your going to ride as to whether or not you'll run into the Coast Guard or a local sheriff.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-09-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
Do 20%, otherwise you will be very limited on visibility in the evenings.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-09-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
it should be illegal. it's like lifting a 2wd truck...pointless.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-09-2009, 6:27 PM Reply   
Joe...I think you meant that it's like 95% of the people driving a 4wd truck. Pointless.

Tint. 20%.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-09-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
Or that 95% that think 4 wheel drive is the same as all wheel drive...

(Message edited by themxercr85 on February 09, 2009)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-09-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
So what is all wheel drive, when you have three or five wheels?
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-09-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
All wheel means that no matter what you always have power to all four wheels, weather your in High or Low gearing. For example an audi is an awd car, or a range rover which I drive is awd which gives it a large advantage over other vehicles in snow or mud. When in 4 wheel drive its like awd only the front axle is locked and the transfer case will apply the torque to the front axle when wheel slippage happens which is what you dont want. So its not actually 4 wheel drive its more like 2 or 3. Like when you are in 2 wheel drive you get positraction. I take back that statement it was a little uncalled for considering the only people that push my buttons with that topic are the dbags who argue that if they have 4wd their car is better then an awd offroad.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-09-2009, 8:02 PM Reply   
Makes sense. Honestly I never knew the difference. But I've never had either.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-09-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
Yeah its not people like you that I am talking about haha dont worry. Most people dont and I dont blame them. I never mind sharing knowledge though.
Old     (kampus96)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-09-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
twitch. in gnarly off road stuff 4wd is whats up. otherwise awd.
Old     (autosports)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2009, 9:53 PM Reply   
Its cool till you have to drive at night and you cant see at all, Ive got tinted windows on my house boat and driving in the dark is impossible
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-09-2009, 10:11 PM Reply   
"you always have power to all four wheels"

that's not entirely accurate, and 4WD destroys AWD offroad, I've had vehicles that switch between the two and AWD doesn't get it done when it get's hairy. Subaru's and Audis are AWD. Trucks are 4WD except now they ocassionally have an AWD setting (first time I saw this was with the old Grand Cherokees).
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-10-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
Well from what I understand and the videos Ive seen awd is better. Thats one of the main reasons Range Rovers do so well off road. What kinda gnar are you talking about though? like mud?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-10-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
The AWD on my Jeep Commander is the shiz, but then again, it is a jeep, but it works as good as any 4wd I own and I own a few cj's.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
Here is a good explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_wheel_drive#4WD_versus_AWD

The difference is the center diff- AWD has a center diff while 4WD does not, so the front and rear wheels are forced to spin at the same speed with 4WD.

EDIT: This is totally off topic. Back on to topic, why would you tint a boat's windshield? Is this purely aesthetic or am I missing something.

(Message edited by joe_crawley on February 10, 2009)
Old     (biggris79)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-10-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
I did it on my boat it looks good but is hard to see out of and it makes it hard to see the line even during the day here my boat Upload
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-10-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
thats tight man thx
Old     (muckinaround)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-10-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
Robert, that is PIMP.

BTW, are you on LakePirateforums?
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-10-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
aha you blacked out your windows? Comon....
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-10-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
I still think thats most of the reason I do so well off road along with the air suspension. Thanks for the info tho man, atleast Im learnin.

Sorry for the digression haha but I think tint makes anything look bada$$, boats and cars both. I wish we could tint our xtar, maybe we'll tint our next boat.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-10-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
Hold on there dude, Im almost 100% sure awd will have you better off offroad or whenever you get any slip. I dont think you guys are talking about "real" awd. No cars can switch from 2wd to 4wd or awd, a truck/car is either 2wd and can be switched into 4wd they just call it 4 wheel drive because its an option to have the capability to switch out of 2 into 4, or its awd 24/7. With awd you have a center diff, your right. But with that center diff, for my car its different then the new rovers but still better then a 4wd, each wheel is independently controlled. For example, If you hit ice with your rear right wheel, it puts the brakes on that wheel and power to the other 3, you can even have 3 wheels slipping on ice, it will apply the brake to all 3 and power to the one. With 4wd, you have 2 diffs, one front one rear. If you have one wheel slipping on ice, the diff will give power to that wheel, the diffs give power to wherever its easiest. So its basically 2wd, if you have one front and one rear on ice your screwed because the diff will be giving all is power to the wheels easiest to turn. Now, if you have locking differentials on a 4wd that is different, its not as good as awd because it doesnt put the break on the spinning wheel but it makes all wheels turn instantaneously so the diffs aply even power to all 4 wheels whether they are slipping or not. There ya go, thats why awd's are better off road.

Sorry for the jack, I just wanted to try and prove my point.
Old     (kampus96)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-11-2009, 12:03 AM Reply   
twitch. you are forgetting one major advantage of 4wd. 4lo. imagine have a geared bike and going up something steep in a high gear. sucks eh? try going up a rock wall not in 4lo and then give it a whirl in 4lo n let me know.
Old     (ctrippin)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-11-2009, 12:36 AM Reply   
twitch swagga are u a f***ing retard? sh*t for brains? what is ur malfunction little boy? you must be a serious off-roader arent u? i can really tell by ur 4x knowledge! what do u wheel, a honda ridgeline or ur moms honda pilot? why dont u go down to ur local book store and pick up a magazine or a book on 4wheelin and do a little research beofore u start spillin ur amazing knowledge to everyone on the internet!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-11-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
My friend dumped his Defender 90 for this http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/213110-77-fj40-buildup-charlotte-finally.html
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-11-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
I drive roughly 1 million miles a year with a 24" lifted 4wd towing a boat that has 150% tint that I drive only on the water at night, so all of you can just shut up because I am the one that knows it all.
Old     (mc4life)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-11-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
Hahahahahahahahaha
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-11-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
Grant I have lo in my car, and so do all the new range rovers which are real AWD...

Cody, sorry if I offended you man you seem a little angered. Looks like your pretty fresh here. Welcome to WW. Im a little confused, you didnt say anything regarding what I said... I dont wheel a honda ridgline, or a honda pilot sorry. I have a 95 Range Rover Classic, bone stock besides new tires, and can hold its own with the average guys wheeler, aka the guys that dont spend over 4 grand modifying their truck to be a monster. Besides my axle clearance before my tires (its a little better now) I could flex better, climb better, and get more traction in tricky places where you have 2 wheels off the ground. Im not bashing anyone man calm down. Im just stating the facts, which are true. And my opinion based on those facts, until someone proves me wrong thats what I am going to think. I have been wheeling with jeep cherokees, wranglers, and wagoneers, which are all lifted at least 3in. Ive also been with yota trucks. The wrangler had locking diffs and new tires, and if you want i will post a video on youtube of it getting stuck when I easily make it up a hill. Again Im not bashing my buddy in the wrangler they are great trucks, short wheel base, and very easily modified, its just my opinion take it or leave it. Learn from it or ignore it man your choice.

Jay- Ive seen builds of that truck before it turned out pretty sick old FJ's are sweet trucks man. My buddies dad was super closer to getting one a year or so back. Really nice looking trucks. And well regarded offroad. Defenders are cool but again, problems problems problems.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-11-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
So what was the general consensus? Tint on boats has nothing to do with 4wd trucks?
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-11-2009, 9:05 PM Reply   
haha no dude, see with awd, tint works better, dont even get me started...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2009, 3:12 AM Reply   
damn, what'd i start???
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-12-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
Yeah its all your fault!
Old     (ctrippin)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-12-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
twitch u are still an idiot. if range rovers were "the best offroad wheeling vehicle" due to their awd system dont you think they would be all over the magazines, on tv and all over ur local trails? if awd was the best thing for the sport you would hear about it. they would rave about it, but there is a reason why you dont hear anything about it and why people continue to use traditional 4wd system with separate transfer cases. i could go on for hours and argue with u back and forth and continue to prove points to you, but its not worth my time. and u only being 17 haha, dont come on here and talk like u have big knowledge when u have only been driving for a year.. you have a lot to learn buddy
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-12-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
Come on, Cody, didn't you know it all when you were 17??
Sheeit, I was at least 19 or 20 before I got my ass handed to me & figured out I didn't know it all!

Plus.... kids from Medina not only know it all, but they got Daddy's bankroll to prove it with their Land Rover, X-Star, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. etc. Whats the sense in driving some old Chevy if you aren't payin for it?!

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on February 12, 2009)
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-12-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
Hey bill, how much does a 1995 Range rover classic cost right now? take a guess. I bet your insurance cost more then my car, hell taking my car into the shop to get a new catalytic converter cost more then my car.

who pays for the gas in my car, boats, and sea doos, me.

who pays for my food, me.

who pays my phone bill, me.

who pays for half of 4 dirtbikes and the ones to come, me.

who pays half of a $2500 dirt jumper bike and all the repairs, me.

who pays for majority of my cloths, me.

I dont drive a fancy car, My parents never have and never will buy me a car. I dont drive any of my dads nice cars. We dont own any typical "rich guy" cars aka a porshe, or BMW, or mercedes, we despise them. We do have range rovers, but again I dont treat them like my cars, they arent. I work hard for what I have as my own. Obviously I cant pay for an x-star man. And I dont boast about it either. Its just a boat, I'd be happy with an old supra or something. For you to judge me as a 17 year old from medina is pretty low, you dont know me. I never said I know everything, cause I for sure dont. That is what I learned, maybe I am wrong, but open your eyes cody, look on you tube, read about range rovers, they are very well respected off road with minimal mods. And they arent all over the local trails because of how much they cost to maintain, and how much they cost in general. Ive been driving a car since i was 3 and started driving stick sitting on phone books and pretty much standing on the clutch in an old austin seven mini. Ive always been interested in engines and wheels. I'm only 17. Im not the typical loaded 17 year old you always think of when you see a teen talking about his x-star. Im thankful for what I have and dont take anything for granite. I work hard towards things I want. Nothing is handed to me, ever.

I hate when people, who wouldnt say it to my face, especially you Bill, at 42 I garuntee you wouldnt say that, stick me in that category of rich kids with daddys money. Thats not me, yeah that the story for the majority of kids in bellevue and Medina. I have friends like that. But I am not one of them.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-12-2009, 11:47 PM Reply   
window tint guys... window tint....

For crying out loud, can you guys just leave it alone.... Or AT LEAST start a who gives a sh+t about 4X4 vs AWD thread.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-13-2009, 5:52 AM Reply   
We dont own any typical "rich guy" cars aka a porshe, or BMW, or mercedes, we despise them. We do have range rovers

AAHHhahahahaha that is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh this morning!!!

Sorry - back to window tint...

(Message edited by lifetimewarranty on February 13, 2009)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-13-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
i like the tint however ive been on a few boats withtinted windows .I got to tell you that early morning and late evening the window turns into a mirror and you cant see through it.very dangerous imo especially if you are driving back into dock after dark and try trailering or docking boat etc..
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-13-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
I rarely ever look through the windshield anyway... I think? I always sit on the bolster and look above the windshield.

It might be one of those situations where you don't realize how much you do until it is impaired somehow... Kinda like you dont realize how important your toes are until you break one of them... Or how much better AWD is than 4X4 until you're runningboard deep in some mud... (sorry, couldn't resist even though I called you guys out last night)

I think 25% is what is legal for cars here in Texas... Will there be a problem with the "mirror effect" if you're reasonable with the percentage of the tint?
Old     (ctrippin)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-13-2009, 8:37 PM Reply   
hahahahha! that is tooo funny lifetimewarranty, i too did get a kick outa that! haha twitch what kinda job do u have at the age of 17 that pays u good enough money to pay for all that?? also what about ur occupation in ur profile: "Occpation: son of a father". hahaha!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-13-2009, 9:15 PM Reply   
did you know that there are older models of range rovers that can be affordable to a 17 year old?
Old     (ctrippin)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-13-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
im not talkin about the range rover tard. all the other "pays" for
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-13-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
you're arguin' w/ a 17 year old. and you're callin' me a "tard"? awesome.
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-14-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
hahaha, cody, did you just come on here to bully little kids, or what?
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-14-2009, 11:37 AM Reply   
HAHA - That's funny

"He's a kid...Kids are stupid" The Wet bandits.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-14-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
im 20. i pay for all my stuff, just to let u know
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-14-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
I work in the summers and make about 250 a week for 2 weeks. Ive been doing that for a few years some summers its 4 weeks. I wash cars, mow lawns, etc. Whatever It takes. I also save my money, Once I get a check or cash it goes to my dad to be put in the bank. You can doubt me all you want, but in the long run your not phasing me, and if im lying, I'm only lying to myself. I pay for everything I listed there. Ive have had to put my life savings when I was 14 into my phone bill because I racked it up so high on accident. I had zero money, not even a dollar. And arent you only 2 years or so older than me? My guess is you dont have that much more knowledge on how the real world works than I do, your still in college if Im correct. Say what you want man I know who I am and Im not fooling anyone by lying about what I actually have to do. You can rip on me all you want, Its not getting you anywhere besides feeling better about yourself maybe. It doesn't affect me one bit.