Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-23-2012, 4:56 PM Reply   
Want to paint the underside of the swimdeck on our Malibu boat. Had quite a few suggestions today at hardware store and body shop. In fact,a guy at a local boat shop/marina suggested Rustoleum oil based paint, said they used it on a old boat they had and it lasted for years. I was thinkin and epoxy based paint. Suggestions and experiences welcome. Swimdeck is fiberglass with what looks like primer grey on it.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
May be overkill but I'd just get it line X'd a color or black. I as well as others have resurfaced the whole swim platform this way.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-23-2012, 5:33 PM Reply   
i second dave. i had my x80 done and they used speed liner. color matched the yellow perfect and its just as shiney as the paint on the rest of the boat. cost me like 150 to have it done
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-23-2012, 6:44 PM Reply   
Wanting to go white or silver to help reflection of transom lighting into water under swim deck. LineX seems overkill. Really just looking to paint it and maybe seal it with clear coat? Hoping to keep it DIY project. Thats what the body shop fella I spoke to today recommended. Roll on or brush on a good epoxy or oil enamel?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-23-2012, 9:56 PM Reply   
Epoxy resin with white pigment, roll it on after scuffing it with 220 grit.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-25-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
Found a local wooden boat restoration place that sold me some Interlux Polyeurothane and he also showed me some stuff they have painted with it. One project had 6yrs on it and is underwater 7mo a year and still looks great. Cleans up easy and looks very durable so I think this will fit the bill. He said the epoxy resin would work great to but they had just run out of the white pigment so I went with the Interlux stuff. Will try to remember to post pics when it's done.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-28-2012, 5:16 PM Reply   
Here it is,2 coats and the relection of the light off of it is great. Has a great clean look as well.
Attached Images