Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-05-2013, 11:09 PM Reply   
So as many have done before me, I am trying to figure out a choice for 4 in boats in my Axis. My quandary is around the same speakers others have asked about, but I'm basing my decision on the amps I have in place, and therefore the wattage I will be supplying...

I'm working with 75 watts per speaker. That being said should I be looking at the xs-65i'sand overpowering them a tad (I'm sure not an issue), or something like the xs650's/ polk mm651um speakers which are rated at 100W RMS and under power them a tad?

This is becoming a bit difficult to decide on as I cannot hear a demo of an intentionally underpowered (a bit) speaker.

Hoping Tim from wetsounds and David from earmark will chime in with their input on these or other options( wink wink)
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       11-06-2013, 5:50 AM Reply   
What amp are you using... is it producing 75w rms or 75w peak? I've installed both the westound 650's and the Polks 651.. I think the polks sound a tad bit better than the WS for the price..
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       11-06-2013, 6:50 AM Reply   
Ron,
Just because the Wetsounds XS650 has a larger RMS thermal rating over the XS65i does not mean that you are necessarily required to have more power. Yes, the XS650 will handle more power and has more output potential with higher power, but the XS650 is NOT less efficient to drive.
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-06-2013, 8:29 AM Reply   
just to clarify - Im talking 75 watts RMS per speaker. The speakers are wired to a 2ohm load to channels on an HT-2 amp.

I guess the real question is: An "underpowered" XS650(or comparable), or an "overpowered" xs 65i(or comparable)??

If anyone has experience with delivering around 75 watts to speakers in the 100 W RMS range I would love to hear their experience. my only experience with something like this is with a subwoofer, and at those frequencies, under powering does not turn out well.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-06-2013, 8:46 AM Reply   
More power is diminishing returns. It's not like 100w is 25% louder than 75w. IIRC, to double output you need to give 10x power.

For what it's worth, I'm running the mm651ums on 75w and they sound good to my tin ear.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-06-2013, 9:09 AM Reply   
The HT-2 is 300x2 at 2 ohms. So with 4 speakers in parallel. You will be at 150 watts rms per speaker.

The XS-650 would be a better fit for that amp. More power than the rms a speaker needs allows yiu to gain the amp down slightly and net more headroom. Which is always a good thing.

The XS-650 is a true rock and roll speaker. It has a ton of output and mid bass. You will love that set up.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-06-2013, 4:55 PM Reply   
2 pair of xs-650 on an HT-2 is going to be golden @ 150W rms each
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-06-2013, 9:29 PM Reply   
Maybe it's because I had a long day and I'm grumpy.....but ****....would people please read what I'm saying.

75 watts RMS is a pretty straight forward statement and I don't understand why this is such a difficult question. When I spoke with a couple of wetsounds dealers today I received the same bull****...

I'm not running 150 watts to them, and I don't care how you think the amp is setup. I asked a very clear question and am being bombarded into 150 watts per speaker on 650's......which is NOT POSSIBLE.

The speakers are hitting the HT6 on two channels at a 2ohm load. 2 4ohm speakers per channel, 150/2=75

Now that basic math is out of the way can someone help me out? I don't care to hear how many watts would sound great, I don't care to hear "640's with more power would be great", I'm just trying to figure out what my best option is with the power I have available.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-06-2013, 9:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post
Maybe it's because I had a long day and I'm grumpy.....but ****....would people please read what I'm saying.

75 watts RMS is a pretty straight forward statement and I don't understand why this is such a difficult question. When I spoke with a couple of wetsounds dealers today I received the same bull****...

I'm not running 150 watts to them, and I don't care how you think the amp is setup. I asked a very clear question and am being bombarded into 150 watts per speaker on 650's......which is NOT POSSIBLE.

The speakers are hitting the HT6 on two channels at a 2ohm load. 2 4ohm speakers per channel, 150/2=75

Now that basic math is out of the way can someone help me out? I don't care to hear how many watts would sound great, I don't care to hear "640's with more power would be great", I'm just trying to figure out what my best option is with the power I have available.
You are getting pissy about people giving answers when you are providing changing information. You claimed this is off an HT2 and now it is off an HT6. Which is it?
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-06-2013, 11:09 PM Reply   
It's a 6, and again....does not matter. That's why I'm getting " pissy" if you want to call it that. I just looking for some input based on 75 watts RMS....what amp, how many channels, etc does not matter at all. All I asked was sound quality given the power scenario I'm dealing with.

I'm not trying to botch about it, and I appreciate people giving me "something".....I just don't understand why the answer to "which would you recommend" is "increase power to the speakers magically"
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-07-2013, 4:16 AM Reply   
Quote:

Wow, you post incorrect info, all be it on accident , you get ACCURATE info and solid advice based on what you posted.....and some how those that are trying to help you are the proplem??? You clearly stated you would be driving them with an HT-2. Thats a huge difference compared to the 6 chnl HT-6.

Well, to answer your question. I have heard the XS-650 on a base level OEM setup powered just by the 15W rms head-unit and they sound fine. I have powered them all the way up to 180W rms with 2 pair on a Syn-2.

My best advice, dont dwell so much on the power to the in-boats, but rather make a speaker decision based on which one pleases your ears and wallet. The 65 and 650 series do sound different, but since the release of the 65"i" revision, that sound quality gap has shrunk. Neither is a bad choice.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       11-07-2013, 5:04 AM Reply   
Douscher
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-07-2013, 6:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
The speakers are wired to a 2ohm load to channels on an HT-2 amp.

I've heard underpowered 650's and I thought they sounded alright. Obviously more power is ideal. I would buy a speaker that can improve with more power and upgrade the amp down the road.
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-07-2013, 6:06 AM Reply   
I have powered 650 at with all kinds of different power levels, and they sounds ok with 50rms, but just continue to get louder as the power goes up. They will sound good with 75rms, best at 100rms, and will blow at 200rms.
I think you will be happy with the 650 @ 75rms.