Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-22-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
I ruptured my eardrum 3 weeks ago. I was supposed to have a doctors apointment today but the doctor is out of town or something and it had to be moved to thursday. He had told me that by todays visit it would probably be healed but not to wakeboard before just to make sure. My ear drum feels like its been closed for about a week now. If i hold my nose and blow it pops just like the other one and no air comes out like before. I also let some water go into it during the shawer and it didnt stay in ther or anything. I can't wait till thursday, will it be safe for me to ride today with some proplugs?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-22-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
I say go for it. Just make sure to get the vented proplugs.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-22-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
ya i have the vented ones. I dunked my head underwater and my ear was normal, anyone know if this means its healed?
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-22-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
If it doesn't hurt it is not likely infected.

If your hearing is normal, it likely healed properly.

They heal pretty fast if not infected. I've done mine twice (once each ear). One got infected (hurt like hell that night), the other was fine, and I rode with earplug a week later.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-22-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
You shouldn't be holding your nose to make your ear "pop." You'll cause the perforation to open back up. You're just setting yourself back.

If you can hear normally, it's probably healed, but I would ride for a few weeks with plugs to be sure.

Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-22-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
Taking medical advice from non physicians who haven't looked at your ear is very dangerous. I'm nearly 50 years old, ruptured an ear drum when i was 13 - watched closely by a doctor at that time - still have a high ring in the ear today - significant hearing loss of high pitch sounds. I'd wait for the Dr to give an okay.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-22-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
I blew out my eardrum last year wakeboarding along with a concusion. Lots of fun that was. I wakeboarded the next week with docs earplugs, swim cap and a helmet. Yeah I looked like a real dork, but I didn't want to get it infected or messed up. The doc made it very clear to me that any water that gets in there can really mess up your ear for life. I was still off balanced when I wakeboarded, but had a good time anyways.

Bottom line be careful, if it has been three weeks then you should be fine. Wear a helmet, I do now. Well most of the time. LOL.
Brannon
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-22-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
ok so i rode today with the proplugs and it was great. I got to try out my new board (watson) and didnt f up my ear. The water was glass too.