Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-09-2009, 5:54 AM Reply   
I apologize in advance that this is off topic, but I have seen readers on this BB who are very good at picking up on boat and tow vehicle selling scams and I need your advice. I am looking for an inexpensive car for my teenage son. I found the below car listed on Craigslist. I emailed the poster and below is his email in response. Note, according to Kellys Blue Book, this car is worth in the $15K range. Is this a scam? Is there any way it could be real?

Hello and sorry for my delay,
The 2006 Honda Accord EXL is in perfect working condition.This detailed vehicle makes the exterior look like it
just came off the assembly line.The car has only 29,242 original miles.VIN Number: 1HGCM66546A051187
It was never involved in any accident, not even minor ones. The body and paint are great. The interior is super
clean, mechanically, it runs like a cat on carpet.
Options
Sunroof Leather seats
Safety features
Anti-lock brakes Driver airbag Passenger airbag
Power options
Air conditioning Cruise control Power locks
Power windows Power seats
Year 2006 Exterior Alabaster Silver Metallic
PICS: http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac299/2006HondaAccordEXL/
So if you decide on buying the car, I want the deal closed only through eBay. You will make the payment to eBay and
they will hold the money until you receive the car. ONLY AFTER you receive the car and you inspect it, eBay will
release the payment to me, in this way we are both protected. I signed up for US military forces and I was sent here
with my department to improve the military relations between our country and Spain. I am located in Madrid, Spain.1
months ago, my wife moved here, with me and brought the car with her, but now we have to sell it back in the United
States, because we can't drive it here because we can't register it here; it has US specs and everything, and
registering it here in Europe will take for ever. My final price on it is US 2,990 $. If you will take it for this
price, I am willing to handle the shipping .It will be shipped from here by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it
will not cost me anything. You will get it to the nearest airport in your area and then it will be trucked forward
to your place.From the moment the payment is secured by eBay the shipping process will begin and it will arrive at
your address in about 3 max. 4 working days. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your
e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all
the transaction payment and shipping details from them.

Thank you and have a great day,
Christopher Whittaker
Old     (e_in_tn)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-09-2009, 5:59 AM Reply   
total scam, there is no way to close a deal through ebay without an auction 100% bogus
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       11-09-2009, 6:00 AM Reply   
Scam!! Scam!! Scam!!
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-09-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
One way to tell is when people offer information you didn't ask for like the vin and why he is not in the states.Second is allways a dead give away if the price is way to good to be true.I have to say a 06 with 30k is worth more than three grand.Final is a shady shipping process like the military is going to drop what there doing to send a guys car back in three daysI wouldn't send the guy a bucket of piss.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-09-2009, 6:07 AM Reply   
I know you were probably hoping for a deal man, but if you can't notice that's a scam I'm worried for you!
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-09-2009, 6:10 AM Reply   
Also a lot of scammers make fake web addresses that look like a ebay page.Some even link them to a real ebay listing and when you click on it you get directed to a fraud link so pay attention to your address bar.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-09-2009, 6:32 AM Reply   
hit the prohibited flag, it's a scam

when you're looking here's the red flags:

a)too good of a deal
b)no window stickers or license plates
c)contact is via a gmail or hotmail acct.
d)the ad says yourtown, usa, but allegidly it's in orem utah or some other small out of the way city and ready for shipping
e)if you email with a specific question you get a stock return email
f)comes complete with bs story about going in to the military, or being shipped out, or divorce.

my favorite is to email them back, if they say it's in orem, utah, I usually say "great, my brother in law is the cheif of police in orem, can i have him come take a look at it"
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-09-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
Scum scam.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-09-2009, 6:37 AM Reply   
Thanks, I was pretty sure it was a scam.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-09-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
they had the same type of scam running early this year for yamaha jetskis and then they were running ads about mastercraft boats also ..... same deal almost to the tee.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-09-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
Whats that saying about "If it is too good to be true"?
I'm curious how anyone could possibly think this was on the level at all.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       11-09-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
I wonder how many times this car was "SOLD"...
Old     (wrchase)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-09-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
Yeah things like this are a scam. I found an 07 X-Star for 13k on craigslist and when they contacted me they said pretty much the same thing. Even the part about closing securely through eBay. Ask them to come see it. Guarantee you won't hear back from them.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-09-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
Another thing that alerts me is the guy is saying he is in the military and they are going to air ship the car. My brother-in-law was moved to Germany 6 months ago from the States. Their van was sent to Germany from the States via ship. It took them close to six weeks to get their van (shipping, customs, etc.). Theres no way to get a vehicle from overseas that quickly.

This listing is total BS. Stay away.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-09-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
All the "facts" related to the military aspects of registration and shipping are complete lies. It is a total scam.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-09-2009, 10:57 PM Reply   
Can corroborate that the military gambit (likely used for implied trust) is pure BS as others have pointed out. SCAM!
Old     (cptsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-10-2009, 3:07 AM Reply   
Who signs up for the US Military forces?
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-10-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
^^^ That's the first thing I noticed!!! I'm surprised you were the first to pick that up??? The US Military Forces? Do they fall under the Department of the Military? Or maybe they are run by the US Office of the Government? That by far was the most obvious part of the scam to me.