Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (jamie392)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-18-2009, 2:28 AM Reply   
I am looking for a wakeboard boat for a decent price. I am not a great wakeboarder but would love a good wake at least. The thing is, we have a cabin along the coast and whatever boat I get I need it to be able to go in the ocean at least a couple times a year. The rest of the time I will be on a lake wakeboarding.

Right now I have a 19 foot Bayliner, older one, and I take it in the ocean all the time, it is rough, and I have been through storms, but it is very stable and never ever comes close to taking on water.

I was looking at the seadoo wakeboard boats but really don't think I will like the wake, so my hope is that if I get a moomba 22' or something that it should be able to go out in the ocean once in awhile... Is the bow to low on this boat? All my ocean travels will be close to shore... but still the waves can sometimes get choppy, especially where the river and ocean meet, which is where I launch the boat.

Thanks for any information. I would love to get a boat for this summer and really want a used mobius or so in the 22-27k range.

Jamie
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-18-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
The jet boat would be hard to control not having a rutter and could get you into trouble in ruff seas.On top of that the wake is very small and not very controlable but the worst part in my eyes would be the large amounts of fuel the seadoo consumes.In your search I would take into account a boats width and depth.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-18-2009, 11:37 AM Reply   
Look for a Supra Launch like a 2001 2002 2003, it is a direct drive with a very large freeboard, it has ballast, deep v keel, tower.. And best of all... in or below your price range!
Old     (hehateme)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-18-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
I use to have a 20' seadoo jet boat. Man, I tell you what, those are the easiest things in the WORLD to drive. HUGE difference from my Malibu. I thought the fuel consumption was average, but not poor by any means.

There is no wake, so that point is mute. My old seadoo boat barely handled a rough lake! I would never in a million years feel safe on one in the ocean.
Old     (jamie392)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-18-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
I thought those seadoo boats were good in the ocean. I had a seadoo out on a really stormy day and it was fun, but I guess a seadoo and boat are a huge difference.

Anyways, where I live it can get stormy, but it is rarely super bad. That Supra Launch must be similar to the mobius right? I think that if my 19' bayliner can handle the ocean, not well, but never really at risk, then a moomba or launch should be able to as well... Maybe I am wrong, but it only really needs to go in the ocean once in awhile, 90% of the time it will be on the lake.

One last thing I have been wondering about is beaching the boat. When I go wakeboarding at the lake I like to beach the boat along the side and camp... This seems kind of scary with a V drive. How much water does it need before the prop will hit? I think I would shut down the engine 10 feet or so off shore and pull it in manually to make sure it doesn't hit... But from looking at the pictures and the designs of these wakeboard boat hulls, it looks like the hull should protect it as long as the back of the boat is in like 1 foot of water, I would never dream of driving the boat in 1 foot of water, but I mean with the front resting on sand on the side of the lake and the back with 1.5 to 2 feet of water floating it should be ok right?

Thanks a lot, I am really new to these boats but I am excited to get a real boat instead of this bayliner that has no power and breaks down on me all the time :-)
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-18-2009, 10:41 PM Reply   
I feel more in comfortable rough water in my 13' Boston Whaler than my Mastercraft Tristar. What ever boat you decide to get, keep your Bayliner for a beater and use it when it is nasty out.

Be patient, there are some ridiculous deals out there right now.

Do not even consider a jet boat!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-19-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
I can tell you I have had Malibus, Supremes, Mastercrafts, and Nautiques. None of them are good ocean boats. I have stuck my nose out the inlet a few occasions but I know not to wander far from safe harbor. The ocean can be flat calm but my inlet can be a mess just from the changing tides. Understanding your local conditions is key but don't count on an uneventful or safe trip in big water.

I had a friend with a seadoo and I hated it and he was not too fond either. He thought it would be good for running across skinny water, a short-cut to a skiing area in the keys, but it just was not like running a good inboard. His replacement boat, Mastercraft X45, is still not the right boat for open ocean travel. We got into some swells that kicked up in 30 minutes and couldn't keep from stuffing the bow.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-19-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
Nick, You are right-on...."I feel more in comfortable rough water in my 13' Boston Whaler than my Mastercraft Tristar."

That 19' Bayliner has the right bow shape compared to the turned down, no lifting strake inboard's bow. That makes a 19 footer work.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-19-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
In the used market, you might look for a Moomba XLV. It has a TON of freeboard. But Tim is right about the turn-down bows. There are very few inboards in the used market with high freeboard and a high bow.

In the new market, there are a few with high freeboard and high bow -- the MC X15/x30, the new Supra 21V, and maybe the Nautique 230/236.

Good luck.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-19-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
I had a buddy in Seattle who had a 96 Maristar with all closed cooling. There were other issues with that boat but it always did great in Puget Sound. There are several threads here on WW where guys have taken that particular boat & added a ballast system & a tower & had a sweet setup for like $10k or $15k.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-19-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
MCs CSX takes waves really nice.
Old     (jamie392)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-19-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
I was just looking at a couple supra launch's as someone suggested and they look like the bow is out of the water a good amount, like better than my bayliner. I don't really want to keep the bayliner cause it is old, an 85 and breaks down which is really scary sometimes. I am handy and can usually fix it on the water but really it is bad.

I can't seem to find any of the important information I need on these boats, I guess the deadrise and freeboard. From what I have heard both the moomba and supra launch are ok in that area.

I live in vancouver, BC. It isn't really open ocean, but it sort of is. It is protected by vancouver island, but it can at times get really choppy. When I go out I am never more than .5 miles from the shoreline and usually there are little islands I could duck behind if it got really bad. The main purpose of the boat will not be for the ocean, I am just hoping to find the best wakeboard boat for the 20-26k range that could handle some waves in the ocean if need be. I by no means want to ruin my boat in the ocean though :-)
Old     (vguy75)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-20-2009, 5:44 AM Reply   
If you're from Van, why don't you consider running in Indian Arm or Pitt Lake? I've been up the arm before and it would probably be good. Can't really imagine too many "flat" days on the Straight of Georgia for wakeboarding and/or running an inboard ski/wake boat. Unless you really want an inboard, I'd say stick with a deep vee i/o and explore some of the Gulf / San Juan Islands, obviously at the compromise of wake quality. That way you'd be able to explore and find some nice flat water around the islands. Just a thought.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-20-2009, 6:02 AM Reply   
Martin (hehateme), sorry to hijack, but what is wrong with you guys? Martin says:

"There is no wake, so that point is mute."

Do you understand what the word "mute" means? It is not the same as the correct word "moot". Mute means unable to speak. Can we get some literacy here?

Hijack over, sorry.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-20-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
This types of posts well continue irregardless of you're concern for our learnedness!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-20-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
"Moot" actually means 'debatable'. So you would 'moot' the point of which boat had the best wake because a hard fact does not exist.
In any case we all do get the point of the comments.
Normally the biggest worry with water around Van is boat, or ferry and freighter chop that comes out of nowhere. I think, Jamie, the best thing for you to do is try to get a ride with someone who has a wakeboat out there. See if you can check marina's. My Sanger will handle a severe mountain lake storm easily but the inland passage is a different situation and I couldn't assure you it would be great there.
Bigger is better though, so a 23' will be better than a 21' boat.

(Message edited by rallyart on January 20, 2009)
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-20-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
Jamie,
I think you are OK getting a wakeboard boat, but make sure you get one with a decent high bow, a closed cooling system, and galvnized trailer.
I live in the south Puget Sound in WA. The MasterCraft X15 or X30 Salt Water Series - would be ideal boat for what you are looking for (except for the price tag).

You should look at a 2000 - 2002 Malibu WakeSetter or Supra with the upgraded cooling system. I had an 2002 wakesetter vlx. It could take pretty good sized waves on a bouy - but when the waves got to about 3ft - they would start crashing over the bow. If you leave your boat on a bouy - you need to keep an eye on the weather and know when you need to take your boat out.

When driving it in big waves, you have more control and you can avoid issues if you are careful. The biggest risk of a major problem is when you are driving with the waves at speed (or when you are going very slow). If you are not careful, you can basically submarine your boat when coming down the back side of a wave.

I haven't had issues, but I am very careful when driving in bigger waves. When I see bad weather coming, I take my boat out.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-20-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
but it only really needs to go in the ocean once in awhile, 90% of the time it will be on the lake.

If it does not have closed loop cooling or a galvanized trailer, MAKE SURE you flush it well asap, also, rinse or dunk your trailer in fresh water asap.. Head on down to the Seattle Boat show, you might find a deal on a used boat through a dealer.

http://www.seattleboatshow.com

www.gonnasonboats.com
Old     (jamie392)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-20-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the help guys :-)

I do take the boat to alouette lake and pitt lake, but once in awhile i have to go out in the ocean...

I think whatever boat I get I will convert to closed cooling. And I'm glad to here from people in the area that think it is ok :-)

When I take the boat out in the ocean in will be on a bouy max 2 days, and I can watch it quite easily...

Thanks again for the info!
Jamie