Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-21-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
Here is whats going on...Took boat out yesterday evening for the first time, (I know, I've been busy this year) charged up the battery yesterday afternoon. When I started it with fake-a-lake attached I noticed it took a while to turn over at first.

Anyway, got to the lake yesterday evening and everything seemed fine. Then, after sitting a while at the end of the evening, getting ready to head to the ramp and try to fire up the boat and click, click, click. I didn't do anything then. Just swam boat to the ramp, we were close to the ramp so it was no big deal. My first thought was the battery was done.

This morning I took the battery to O'Reilly to load test it and they charged it up said it was fine. I put the battery back in the boat, try to fire it up and I get click, click, click and then the boat will turn over and start real slow, if at all. Engine seems to run fine after it starts.

All of the accessories work, perfect pass, blower, stereo, ballast pumps, etc. So, Since the battery seems to be okay I'm thinking something is wrong with the starter. What do you guys think??
Old     (tjhooker)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
I had a starter go out once but it just went out and never even would kinda turn over. It did make the click click noise like you described. I replaced the starter and fixed it. It only took me an hour or so to do and like $150 for a refurb. starter. I also replaced the solenoid but that did nothing until I replaced the starter.

(Message edited by tjhooker on June 21, 2008)
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       06-21-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
Check the battery and starter cables for corrosion.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-21-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
I went outside and tried it again, engine turns once and then I just get the clicking sound, won't even start.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-21-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
Take something (metal rod) and hit your starter while someone tries to turn it over. If that doesnt work check your connections.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-21-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
Sounds like a loose connection on your starter.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-22-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
If it is making the clicking sound, that means the solenoid is working right?
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-22-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
when you jump start it or put a charger on it for a min does it fire right up no problem? if so your battery is toast, did you fill it up with distilled water before charging? Get a new battery, two would be better.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-22-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
Tom, nope... tried that this morning to make sure it wasn't the battery. I'm going to take it to the dealer in the morning and let them get it right!
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-22-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
Whoa, don't hit the starter with the metal rod while it is powered, you will most likely get a nasty surprise and a lot of sparks.

Hitting the starter motor sharply with something made from metal should free the solenoid if it is stuck, they are supposed to disengage on a spring but sometimes they get jammed.

Our boat has done the same thing on a few occasions, starter motors burned out (from running in salt, they don't like it, especially when they get drowned) new starter got her going again every time. We have a couple to rebuild now as well. You probably have corrosion either inside the starter or somewhere along the connections to the battery. You can probably get it running if you run enough juice through it (ours took about 16 volts, with 2 good batteries and a jump from the truck) but it's easier to just fix it than go through that every time.

You could pull it out and open it up to see if it's the motor or the wiring. You should be able to tell by the bushes inside. If they look rusty or worn out it's time for a new set of bushes if you think you can rebuild it yourself, or have it rebuilt by someone else, either rebuild it or get a new one.

(Message edited by jtnz on June 22, 2008)
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
I dropped the boat off this morning at the local dealer. So, if it is indeed the starter, how much should I expect to pay? I was thinking somewhere in the $200 ballpark.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-23-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
^^^^yoru delaer will tell you to replace the starter. Tell them to haev it rebuilt...shoudl be abotu $50, you can install yourself. or they will charge you 1 hour labor. For future reference, if that happens again ( stuck in the middle of the lake), open your engine comparnment and make sure you don't smell gas. You can take a screwdriver and jump over the solenoid (lay screwdriver across red/yellow contacts) and get the boat started. yes it will spark, so be careful. first try tapping the solenoid, not he starter to break it loose.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-23-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
Texas TBird is on the $$: Check the battery and starter cables for corrosion.

Or: I dropped the boat off this morning at the local dealer.

Its an expensive lesson, but one we all learn...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-23-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
Ground cables as well...
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
I have checked all the battery cables and connections for corrosion, nothing. The battery is in good shape. I troubleshooted all weekend and the starter is the only thing I think it could be.

How long should it take to get the starter rebuilt?

(Message edited by bradenb12 on June 23, 2008)
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-23-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
Do you have an extended warranty or is your warranty still valid? The starter went out on my 2004 Mobius LSV. I had an extended warranty and the dealer was able to replace the old starter with a brand new one - it cost me $25. Maybe something to check. BTW, click, click, click is exactly what I found happening.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
Its a 2000 I bought used. No warranty...
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-24-2008, 11:02 PM Reply   
What Nacho and Texas said, unless you actually pulled all the cables and cleaned them you wont know there is corrosion between them and where they are attached. Lets us know what they found, and charged.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-25-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
And the winner is...BAD BATTERY- BAD CELL)
Wish I would have swapped them out before I took it to the dealer.

I kind of feel like an idiot, but hey better the battery than the starter!

Thanks to everybody who chimed in!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-25-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
at least you're back on the water.