Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    backdoc            02-19-2005, 8:30 AM Reply   
I'm trying to decide between the 2005 Malibu LSV(340hp) and 2004 Mastercraft X star(385hp). Haven't driven the X Star yet. My objective is looking for a family wakeboard boat that has quality and performance. Anyone who has driven both boats could you please help? Which is more responsive and better handling ect...Thanks
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-19-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
Well with both boats you are going to get pro wakes. They are both in the big 3 (malibu mastercraft and correct craft)So you know the quality is not an issue. In my opinion is comes down to useablity of the boat, things such as, inside space and layout, storage space, and rough water handling. Turning on both these boats do not seem to be a problem, ive never done a comparison though. Both have spinner racks avaliable also.

now pro and cons for both boats

malibu:

pros: larger rear seating. more tower choices (titan, illision, cf blade, and swoop(i think)) The wedge ( i view it more as a wake shaper, so you can have rampy wake, or a steeper wake) Digital ballast monitoring system. the ballast tanks are now all below the floor. It also has bow ballast stock. It will handle rough water better I belive. We got our lsv(04) with a tower, spinner racks, bimini, basic stero, and turn down exaust(for a quiter ride) all for around 50k

Cons: It does not have quite as much storage as the x-star. no pop up carpet(just a carpet cover)

Mastercraft:

Pros: ALOT of storage. huge bow. more horse power.

cons: I know this is debateable, but i dont like having the batwing shaped bow, taking water over that would bring alot of water into the boat. Smaller rear seating area. will be atleast 60k (that is a rough guess, correct me if im wrong)

It will also come down to your dealer. who has better service, who treats you nicer, and maybe who is closer. If you are near a cope and mc pheters(mastercraft) /ultimate water sports(malibu) they are good people from what I have had to do with them. Both are kick butt boats, cant go wrong either way. good luck!
Old     (romi)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-19-2005, 10:59 AM Reply   
You can't go wrong with either boat. I think you will be more for your money out of LSV (but that is coming from a LSV owner). But hyperlitenerd gave a good and accurate review of both boats.

(Message edited by romi on February 19, 2005)
Old     (kdm)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-22-2005, 6:35 AM Reply   
Both are rally great boats!! The warranty on 2005 mastercraft boats is awesome. Malibu has a great warranty, but in 05 mastercraft is better. Just my 2 cents!!
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-22-2005, 8:10 AM Reply   
I'll qualify this statement by saying that I've never ridden in either boat, but I seem to remember seeing more than one time on this and other forums that he X-Star does not accelerate or turn as well as some would like. The LSV comes with larger Gorilla tracking fins that are designed to make it turn more like a much smaller boat. As for the acceleration, that probably comes down to how much you weight either boat. Either way, you will be getting a nice boat.

Daniel
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-22-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
a buddy has a x-star and it is a incredible boat

lots of storage, handles really well, drives like a mercedes (very tight and ssssmmmmoootttthhh). freaking HUGH wake ( is a little taller and wider).

the pickle fork is great (either you will like it or hate it). the board rack and gauges are state of the art. the interior is beautiful and a lot nicer than my 05 211.

i bought a nautie and like it a lot but the x-star is my favorite of the bigger boats
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-22-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
I have been in both. They feel totally different to drive. The x-star feels heavy and does not have great acceleration or performance (one i drove had the 350 in it) while the lsv seemed like a rocket when compared and turned very well for a 23.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-22-2005, 7:19 PM Reply   
When I drove the X-star (with MCX) it lurched and wallowed in tight turns. I thought it was bit of a bus to drive.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-22-2005, 7:54 PM Reply   
Thats why we call it the tank. Some guys 45 minutes from here have one. They love it but get a lot of complaints about the large wake. I think the LSV is a more practical boat. The x-star is definately crazy.