Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-09-2011, 9:10 PM Reply   
I recently bought a pretty nice full suspension MTB and may have landed on a nice little deal. The guy I bought it from is/was a sponsered road racer in the seattle area. Anyway, he is moving to Cali and is selling some of his old bikes so I ended up buying one already and am in the process of buying another. Total I am buying 3 bikes from him. The sole purpose of buying the 2 road bikes is because I think I can flip them and make some money. So I am asking what those in the know think these bikes are worth.

The first that I already have in my posession is a 2010 Raleigh Record Ace 59cm I think. Pretty much every component on it is Ultegra including the brakes. The bike also has a Nuevation wheelset. The bike has been used for one year is in excellent shape other then the front of the shift levers have some scuffing from where he hit the bike on his garage door. He forgot to take it off the roof rack. It is just cosmetic and I can probably clean up so there will be minimul scratches. The bike retailed for 1800 last year in it's stock form. He added the ultegra brakes and nuevation wheel set. I was thinking it is worth about 1200 or so. What do you guys think? Is that a good starting point when listing?

The second bike is a little more interesting and I have some more questions about. IT is a 2010 Raleigh Team Carbon Race bike. So as of right now the frame set is at the bike shop seeing if it can be warrantied. He is/was sponsered by the LBS it is at currently. We negotiated a price that included the following components:

Fork-Raleigh Carbon that came with it including FSA integrated head set
Levers-never used SRAM red
FD-new SRAM force(from what I can gather this is a better option even then the red for racers)
RD-new SRAM Force
Cranks-SRAM S900 GXP Carbon
BB-SRAM GXP(non ceramic bearing version),
Cassette-Ultegra
Chain-Ultegra or KHS
Brake Calipers-used ultegra rear, Tetro(all he had)
handlebars-Zipp Carbon
Stem-not sure, probably something alloy/cheaper
seat post-Thompson Elite
Saddle-no saddle
Wheelset-Mavic Axiom with gatorskins
Pedals-used Ultegra

Obviously there are some components don't really fit the level of this bike. The front brake, stem(probably) and wheel set leave something to be desired although maybe the Axioms are ok training wheels. The crank set and BB also are probably not to the level of the bike. The frame is designed for a BB30 but the crank set and BB are standard English so there is an adapter he ordered to allow the GXP crank set and BB to work.

Would it be better to sell the brand new warranty replacement frame set without building up with the components listed or should I pay the 150 and have it built up and sell as a complete bike. I did a quick price out of the bike and all components if buying new and all that adds up to between 3500-4000 for a total build cost. The stock Team that is almost exclusively SRAM RED is priced around $5000-$5500.

What is a guestimate of what the bike would be worth built up?

What should it be worth if I sold the frame set by itself?

What are all the components worth if I wanted to sell?

Is the bike worth around $2500? That would be $1000-$1500 discount off new with the frame, FD, RD, Levers and possibly the Crankset being new. From what I have read the 2010 and current Raleigh Team is an extremely nice bike that is right there with the Specialized Tarmac s-works. One of the best racing teams in the Seattle area has a lot of people who ride this bike. I also read it is a lot better frame then the 2009 and earlier model.

SeanM, if you are out there what are your thoughts? Are you still into road racing?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-09-2011, 9:18 PM Reply   
Admins, I screwed up the title. Can one of you change it to Gurus?

thanks
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
Hey Brett;
I'm no "Gur" but know am an avid cyclist. First off, the re sale market on road bikes is not that great. I just sold my Specialized Transition with full Dura Ace, Volka Bars, and 108cm wheels for $2,000. I had more than twice that invested. Second, IMO, Raleigh is not one of the "Top end" bikes on the road. Allthough they do have carbon frames etc, they are better known as a "Target" bike. Sorry to say, youll be lucky to get maybe 25-30 % of the original price. Do some research, look at what guys are riding. You dont see Raleigh on the Tour or in any Giro.
Hope this helps. Just my honest opinion.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-10-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
Thanks Greg. I don't know if I was trying to write Guys or gurus? Maybe I was thinking guys that are gurus?

I appreciate your honest feedback. I am hoping you are somewhat wrong though. On the other hand maybe I just keep that bike and sell my other bikes. My hope is that because the frame will be unused and some of the main drivetrain components as well that it will hold its value a little better. I am also hoping that because the 2010 Raleigh frame is a brand new design and is at the very least a popular racing bike in the Seattle area that, that will help in the sale.

Any idea on if it would be worth more as a frame set alone or a complete bike?
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-10-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
I second Greg The Hammer. San Diego is a major cycling and endurance sport market. The only Raleigh's I've seen while riding in the last 6-7 years have been OLD steel ones. I'm sure the bike quality is OK, but it's not an "in" (demand) brand.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-10-2011, 10:25 AM Reply   
I didn't even realize this but Raleigh USA is based out of Seattle so that probably helps me being that they are local and that there are probably more up here then anywhere else in the country.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
Hey Andy;
Are you doing the San Diego Century on the 21st?? Im coming down to concur the Purple Monster. Lol.. Seriously, Im looking forward to a nice change of scenery. Ill be wearing a black, red and white "Brentwood Bike Co." kit. Say hi !!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-10-2011, 12:40 PM Reply   
Pawning bike parts is likely a loosing business.

A friend of mine actually makes a living (more than $100K) pawning expensive toys (planes, yachts, exotic cars) purchased from wealthy people who have excess money. They are eager to buy/sell without a concern for the last dollar ($10K) on each exchange.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-10-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
A used ultegra bike would be lucky to fetch $1K IMHO. Especially given that Raleighs are just basic taiwan bikes these days, right? (i.e. not hand made in usa or anything)
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-10-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
Greg,

Not doing that Century. While I ride weekly, I'm more of a marathon, triathlon guy (so far). Should I change my mind, I'll be looking for ya.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-10-2011, 2:58 PM Reply   
You guys are crushing my hopes and dreams but I appreciate the honesty. I probably thought I was getting a better deal then I was. Do you guys think that I overpaid getting the following for $2700

2010 Diamondback Sortie 2 MTB MSRP around $2000-near mint condition, used maybe 10 times for XC
Velocity blunt rims/XT hubs, tires, brake rotors and a sram cassette all unused
Giro Freeride helmet used once or twice
6 different arm/leg pads by 60sixty
2010 Raleigh Record Ace-All Ultegra, neuvation wheelset used one season MSRP of 1800 without add ons
2010 Raleigh Team-new warranty replacement with the mentioned components MSRP of 3750 or so with build that it has.

Hopefully I can use the perfect time of the year and my craigslist buying/selling skills to maximize my revenue/profit.

Last edited by polarbill; 05-10-2011 at 3:01 PM.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2011, 3:55 PM Reply   
Sorry to say, but I think if you sold EVERYTHING, you may break even.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-10-2011, 3:59 PM Reply   
I've had pretty good luck selling (and buying) bikes via the roadbikereview.com classifieds. Shipping is pretty easy, and bike shops are happy to give you a box and packing materials.