Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-09-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
Looks like some thing "G" would own. Carbon fiber wheels.

Upload
Upload
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-09-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
Dizzzammmm!!!! now that is pimpin fo sho.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-09-2009, 10:29 PM Reply   
Cute, but there are reasons they don't use Carbon for wheels in Formula 1.

Now, for a short haul trailer they'd bling.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
Art: why don’t they use them in F-1

Pretty cool. I had seen some carbon wheels for Corvette's some time ago but sorta forgot about them. I wonder how much lighter carbon wheels could be over the same size in aluminum? Carbon wheels seem like something other than bling that could actually make you car perform better. I love the look of larger after market wheels but it sucks how when you go larger your performance and ride quality suffers. The larger aftermarket wheels take more energy to start/stop. They weigh more so your ride is a bit harsher because of it.
The carbon wheels seem to address all of these issues. Like I said I love the look its just weird how 20's and larger were or are sorta reverse technology. I mean what after market part would you pay allot of money for to bolt on to your ride to get worse performance? Answer Wheels
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-10-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
That shizz is the business! I love that look with the red stripe its pimp.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-10-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
They address everything you stated except for that pothole you just hit!

There's that....and the fact that they're not just expensive...we're talking STUPID expensive. I looked at some for my V-Rod and they're $2,500-$3,000 each for a 18"x5.5"! Translate that to car/truck sizes and those Ferrari wheels were easily $10-15K each.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-10-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
Carbon fiber cracks rather than flexing... Poor choice.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-10-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
The first reason they don't use them in F1 is that the rules state all wheels need to be of the same metallic compound.
The second reason is the increased chance of catastrophic failure due to the more brittle nature of the carbon composite as opposed to the spun metallic of racing wheels. Even a small crack could make it porous enough to leak pressure. In a race situation you don't feel that on the straight but as soon as you brake or corner it becomes pretty obvious.
The third reason is the heat dissipation from tire temp and brake temp that the spinning metal of the wheel helps with.

Taking weight off the tire and wheel are very significant for the performance of a vehicle. In essence, one pound off the rotating mass helps about as much as 5 pounds of the fixed mass.
Higher unsprung weight gives a rougher ride and from the performance viewpoint it lessens the tires contact with the road and disturbs the suspension more. Each of those reduce the cornering capacity. Those are the type of things that a light carbon wheel could help with.

(Message edited by rallyart on January 10, 2009)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-10-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
http://www.indysuperbikes.com/Isb1/marchesini_aluminum_wheels.html

What about going the magnesium route only for cars?

(Message edited by Seattle on January 10, 2009)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-10-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
Magnesium is the origin of the term Mag wheel. They're very light but don't stay polished. They can also catch fire when you scrape a concrete curb with them and Magnesium fires are really hot and almost impossible to put out. They don't use them for car racing anymore.
You can get magnesium blocks for the engine that same about 50 pounds over and aluminum one.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
I know it might be a strang fit but these wheels would work real well on a Prius or some sort of Hybrid. Mike said when he switched his stock Prius wheels for Larger SION XB wheels he lost like 2-3 MPG. I bet cars with low hp would notice gain's with lighter wheels.
This was a intresting fact. A friend of my'n had 24inch wheels on his Esclade. They got snached. The dealer lent him some 17 inch wheels untill his new wheels came in. He said the 17's with huge side wall's rode like crap. Way worse ride than his 24's??? I could not believe it. The guy at the Tire shop said. the rumor the larger tires/wheels will give you a worse ride depends on how light your wheel/tire combo are. He said the extra weight the stock wheels make the shocks and supension move can give a poor ride. Light weight wheels let the supension move faster/easyer giving a better ride. I guess it made sence.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-10-2009, 9:42 PM Reply   
Guys those wheels aren't carbon fiber. They are normal forged aluminum wheels with a carbon fiber overlay. If anything it adds weight. There are no production wheels for cars that are all carbon fiber. The closest is dymag which makes a wheel with a magnesium center and carbon fiber barrel
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2009, 9:56 PM Reply   
Hey Manny: Im 99% sure I have seen Carbon fiber wheels for car's Im sure some one will post a link of pick to prove you wrong. LOL
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2009, 10:01 PM Reply   
I guess Il be that guy. Just after 2 seconds of Yahoo looking came up with this
http://www.carbonfibergear.com/weds-sport-full-carbon-fiber-wheel/
Upload
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-11-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
I have seen those wheels also but they are prototypes and the full carbon version is not for sale.