Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-30-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
This article reminds me that concussion is enough, and too much in some instances.

R.I.P. Ryan Shreve

You will always be missed!

Know the signs of head trauma and keep your friend off thier board if you suspect they are hurt. Your friend might die. Think about it.

(Message edited by wakeviolater on January 30, 2008)
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-30-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
Yeah it happens alot easier than you think. I was with Ryan the day before the accident and we didn't think anything was wrong except that he took a few hard crashes to the back of his head. The next day he did the same thing but never recovered.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-30-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
There was a day when I was trying kickflips wake to wake and kept crashing. The instant I got on the boat I was naushis and had a head ache. Then I had to drive 30 miles home and I kept thinking I had to puke and everthing was causing my head to throb. At the time I didn't think much of it because I didn't crash that hard.....or so I thought.

Definately be carefull out there.
Old     (boardsoldier)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-30-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
Get informed about the symptoms of a concussion. This is no joke. You CAN die wakeboarding, I've seen it happen.

R.I.P. - Ryan Shreve
Old     (ron1xone)      Join Date: May 2007       01-30-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
you can die doing just about anything.
risks of dieing in a car are about 5000 times greater.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-30-2008, 9:54 PM Reply   
I disagree russ....cars are made to be impact resistant. I guess your skull is to an extent but in no way was it intended to take some of the blows i have seen and recieved on the open water. As for the helmet debate....I continue to wear mine. It's saved me a few times and more or less for just the ear drum protection.
Old     (ron1xone)      Join Date: May 2007       01-31-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
Car crashes are the leading cause of death in the U.S.
Theres no way you can say risks of dying are greater than wakeboarding.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-31-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
I don't think anyone is disputing your point russ or trying to say that you're more likely to die wakeboarding than in a car crash! i also don't think anyone on here is saying we shouldn't wakeboard!
it's just that this thread is about concussions from wakeboarding, which still have a real risk of death associated with them and people need to be aware of how to recognise and deal with them.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-31-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
How about number of people driving versus number of wakeboarders? A large number I suspect. Car crashes may lead in death but that doesn't mean wakeboarding is safer.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-31-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
I thought it was a good article that was put up there. It's good to see that its gettin out there that you gotta keep tabs on your dome when your out there riding. I've gotten some nasty concussions before, two wakeboarding and one BAD one from an auto accident. Before I was gung-ho to get back in the water, but if i take a nasty crack to the head i've learned that "not so good" feeling and sucked it up and taken a seat. Hopefully that article catches a few people's eyes and keeps 1 person from doing something that they'd regret. Just my view
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-31-2008, 10:12 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/465847.html

THese threads go hand in hand. Too many people avoid the ER due to having no insurance. Let it be known that the signs and symptoms of a concussion are the same as a brain bleed. THe only way to tell the difference is a CT scan. The most recent example of this was an MMA fighter that died a couple days after a fight. Dont let this happen to you. If anyone on the boat has that "gut" feeling that something is not right with somebody, call it a day and get them to the hospital. Sorry for the rant, i just see this too much
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-01-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
i have had nine concussions due to motocross and have only been to the hospital once only cause the helecopter was already taking me there. lol

concussions are serious and you can die from them, the same way you can die from a broken leg, broken ribs, etc... the point is that you know the risk when you go do something extreme and if you die doing it you should have already accepted the chances and the possible outcome. if you live your life alsways being scared about what if you wouldnt ever enjoy yourself. just take the right saftey messures, accept the unknow and the chance something could go wrong, and have fun doing it and you shouldnt have any regrets, just my 2cents..
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-01-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
well after reading this im scared a bit, i got problems of internal liquid pressure in the brain and twice a year i have to pass intervention to take out some juice into my head. Now with this thread i feel more scary because i think i can have a higher degree of sensitivty to thses concussion, for me after a good fall a always feel a small head ache, how ill know if i have a concussion, a serious concussion or if i have crashed my brain up ?
Anyway i think i will buy a helmet now, to freak about those thing now !
Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-02-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
Having had several concussions over the past 30 years (lots of sports!), I still was not prepared for the aftermath of my catching an edge and slamming into the water while wakeboarding last June.

I still have no memory of my friend's run that followed and I have a sketchy memory of even getting the boat out of the water.

If I asked my husband and friends "are you messing with me" one more time (as I kept asking did I fall hard and they kept answering "yes") I think they were going to leave me behind.

As soon as I realized we were on asphalt and the boat was almost completely wiped down (not having any real memory of how I got there), I self-diagnosed that I had a concussion.

My husband and friends knew as well and it was VERY important that they did not panic or frighten me. Once I realized the truth, we discussed our options and started driving home (and toward a hospital, if needed).

As we drove, I did hammer them with questions trying to get my memory back to no avail. However, within 30 minutes, I felt much better and just went home and chilled.

It took about three days for me to feel as though I was over all the effects of the concussion (of course, my husband still says I am "dingy" from the concussion).

The point is this: Other things to look for if you suspect someone has a concussion:

Can they answer simple questions with simple answers?
Are they repeating questions or statements?
Do they stare off in the distance?
Is it difficult to get their attention?
Do they have difficulty sitting up straight? Are they bent over or slouching in the seat in an untypical way?
Do they easily and without emotion take direction? (move to that seat, get out of the boat, etc. - "zombie-like")
Do they not finish their sentences?

Simply put, if you see someone hit hard (and that might just include a blow to the upper body as a whole), just keep an eye on them for a bit. If they seem to be acting odd (or odder than usual, I know wakeboarders ) then they probably have taken too hard a blow to their brain.

Great article Sean...}