Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-13-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
the best bulk price that I can find for 6" to 8" chew bones is $1.33 each.
Does anyone know of a place that sells them for less than that?
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-13-2010, 5:58 PM Reply   
Let me start by saying I give rawhides to my dogs as a treat and think they can be GREAT at taking out some doggie energy. My guy would chew on one all day long if given the opportunity. Cliff - I'm not sure where you can find a better price on them. $1.33 sounds like a great deal!

For people new to rawhides just a public service announcement:
1) rawhides should only be given under supervision
2) rawhides can soften and when your dog thinks it's soft enough to go down they try to swallow it. They can be a choking hazzard for this reason.
3) they can cause blockage of the digestive tract if a big piece is consumed(see #2)
4) rawhides can also get sharp edges that can irritate your dog's mouth.
5) Look for rawhides that are "made in the USA" as rawhides from other countries can be tainted with chemicals and cured with carcinogenic materials.

Again, I love to see a dog really working their jaws on a rawhide and they need to be chewed on with supervision. I know in my house it has saved some couches from destruction. Good luck in your search for reasonably priced bones!
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-13-2010, 6:27 PM Reply   
I think they're at Costco when Costco has them in stock. I just bought some but can't remember for sure how much they were. It was a pretty good size bag - maybe 20 or so, and I know it was less than $20. They are not knotted, though. They're long and straight - maybe 10" or so.

One of my dogs loves em, but the other one will only chew one if she's able to steal it from the other.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-13-2010, 9:59 PM Reply   
^I get those as well from CostCo, my dog loves them
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2010, 12:59 AM Reply   
bully sticks are good "occupiers" for our puppy too.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-14-2010, 5:50 AM Reply   
I have already quit with the raw hides. Had an incident of one getting stuck/blockage and it could have gotten scary bad. Vet and food store both recommend the bone only, especially for puppies, chew items should be chew only and not edible or deteriorate. Few circular bones and a soft toy and she's good.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       01-14-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
We never give our dogs raw hide and don't recommend due to Lizrd's comments above. Bully sticks are great but pretty expensive (and kind of gross if you know what they are). You should also stay away from greenies. Cotton rope toys are good and kong balls filled with peanut butter will keep them busy for a while.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-14-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
Interesting, as the rope toys are something we had a problem with. Neither of our dogs have ever had a problem with rawhide, but our younger dog did chew and swallow parts of the rope toy. Not pleasant when it finally came out.

+1 on Kong balls.. our dogs loved them.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-14-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
Never raw hide for my dog. Like said above once its soft enough he tries to swallow. Very dangerous. It is also the only thing that makes him agressive with other dogs.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-14-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
Try a Kong. My dog has been chewing on one of those for years and its still the same shape. We don't put any treats in it either.

Best dog toy ever made.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-14-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
hit the butcher section of the grocery and ask them for marrow bones for soup....femurs usually but depends on what they have. dogs will spend hours getting the marrow out and then have the bone left for weeks. i take them away when the bones starts breaking into pieces. they dry out over time and get brittle.

or, antlers work great too. you can buy them or take a long walk looking for shedded antlers if you know someone with property.

(Message edited by salty87 on January 14, 2010)