Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-29-2009, 5:39 AM Reply   
Around mid august I underwent reconstructive surgery on my left acl. I asked my doctor if I would need a brace after the surgery and he said it is not needed unless you want it before surgery and the first few weeks after to get used to walking again. I just chose to not get the brace.

How recommended is it to get one of these things for wakeboarding after an acl surgery? I will be 9 months post-op in May which is typically when I start riding. I am right on schedule if not ahead for a full recovery for even before then. Also I might add I do not do many tricks into the flats and really dont plan on trying inverts for the first couple months of riding since thats what I originally tore it on.

I see a ton of pros and other riders wearing these after an acl reconstruction so I'm definitely leaning towards getting one but I could just use others opinions.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-29-2009, 5:43 AM Reply   
Should be lots of threads out there on this do a search and see what you find.

Get one and WEAR IT! Had mine done in May of this year and LOVE my CTI Custom Pro Sport... very little slipping and gives me some added confidence while shredding. Your psyche takes the biggest hit after surgery IMO so every little bit helps.

Upload
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-29-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
CTI all the way. I had knee surgery 10 yrs ago & my ortho said the same thing. They are a big boost of confidence, and wakeboarding is def. tough on the knees, much more so than most spots.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       12-29-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   

Get 2, why wait for the next one to tear?
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-29-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
++++ THREAD HYJACK ++++

Luker,

You and I have gone at it wrt helmets, and now read how pumped you are on your brace (which I also wear). Why is it you are cool with a brace, but so anti helmet (for free riding)? You have mentioned before how "bad" or "stupid", or whatever it looks to ride with a helmet, yet it is believed by some that it protects your head. You mentioned you don't live by those kind of rules... meaning you go by the saying "if its your time, its your time" and there is no need for precaution.

I am NOT trying to be a a$$, but it seems out of character for you... Many doctors will tell you that a brace won't help prevent another torn ACL... while others say it will. I agree it gives you mental confidence... and so does my helmet.

To me they are the same (meaning they protect critical riding attributes like your head and your knees) except for one thing... how they look.

Pros wear braces all the time, so maybe the fact the pros look cool wearing them gives them legitemacy?

Again, not be to an di&* about it, but it seems sooo out of character for you to be taking any form of caution.

-Uj
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-29-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
Uh oh... Yeah braces are for geeks. Never wear one cuz they don't look kewl.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-29-2009, 10:53 AM Reply   
Jessie... despite your multiple disclaimers, you are kinda trying to be a d*ck, but its cool :-) LOL

If you think wearing a helmet behind the boat is the same as wearing a knee brace after ACL reconstruction... then I'm not really sure what to tell you.

I'm not anti-helmet by anymeans man... infact I'm so pro Shred Ready its ridiculous!! But you won't see me wearing it without rails involved. Check out the custom lid Tom just had done for me:

http://www.customhelmetart.shredready.com/?p=457

I really don't wanna get dragged into the same argument again. This thread is about knee braces after knee surgery, not helmets behind the boat. Two very different topics.
Old    wakejjboard12            12-29-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
That paint job is SICK.