Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-16-2010, 3:42 AM Reply   
So who is the best rider in the world right now? Tom and Harley are literally turning their respective expertise over everyone and just dominating. Tom just took out the best cable riders in the World in Amsterdam yesterday while Harley claimed another tour stop but not the title.
My Bias leads to Tom.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-16-2010, 3:56 AM Reply   
Have fun with the one.....
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-16-2010, 4:21 AM Reply   
hard to say because they dominate in their respective venues.they are both tops in what they do.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-16-2010, 5:04 AM Reply   
they are both sick on cable and boat. obviously Harley takes the boat but Tom has a pretty serious bag of tricks on the boat and visa versa. Cable seems to be gaining as much respect as boat now and Tom dominates just like Harley dominates the wake. Liquid Force definitely has the two best riders in the world in both disciplines right now. its pretty much a never ending question, but with Tom taking the overall at CWC last year which was cable, obstacles, and boat, that is where he gets my vote. Now Harley wasn't in this event but we should lock these two in a house for a month where they have to ride boat and cable every day and see what happens lol.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2010, 7:01 AM Reply   
DId Nick Davies just fall off the face of the earth or something? Pretty sure there's numerous guys that can run with that pack
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
Soven just proved that he is still the most consistent.
Old    usfhookup            08-16-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Cable wakeboarding will NEVER get the respect that boat riding gets and rightfully so. Harley is a beast.
Old     (timmo)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-16-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by usfhookup View Post
Cable wakeboarding will NEVER get the respect that boat riding gets and rightfully so.
What makes you say that??? In England where gas is around $8/ gallon (and yeah I know you got fewer litres in your gallons) no-one has a boat cos it's too frikkin' expensive to run!! A boat set- 10 minutes, costs around £20- that's over $31 for TEN MINUTES!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
I think cable boarding has a lot of respect. But everytime a new trick is landed on the cable, what's going through our minds is "can you do it behind a boat?"
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-16-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
Once cable takes over and there is more prize money in cable contests than boat contests, it WILL get more respect and rightfully so. I'm pretty sure thats why we are seeing guys like Aaron Rathy, Jimmy Lariche, Andrew Adkinson, JD Webb, and Bob Soven starting to compete (and get beat- not even podium) on cable. If thats not a sign of respect, I dont know what is. That being said, this is an endless debate. Both are masters of their own element.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-16-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
cable is tight & fun but its all about the BOAT.
just as mentioned above - u can throw wahtever you want on the cable - but can you land it on the boat?
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-16-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
So cable is less legit because you have the ability to go bigger, do more tricks, and make everything look better. Got it.... so if you want to get really legit with it, ride a jetski? I mean you can land whatever you want on a weighted down boat - but can you land it on a jet ski? This is stupid...
Old    Chaserwaser            08-16-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
I def think cable is starting to become more and more popular, If I lived near a cable id rather do that then boat....
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-16-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
"Once cable takes over and there is more prize money in cable contests than boat contests,"

Nearly there anyway. Foshee got $7K yesterday.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-16-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
hey Ben have fun living in the past. Bullcrap its all about the boat, come to europe where its all about the CABLE. SIck of the same old attitude, go hang at a cable for a decent amount of time, you will see just how hard it is to do what the top level guys do.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-16-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
i ride the cable at CWC many times. Fun - love it.
so much harder to land the same tricks on the boat.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-16-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
Chris, I said that exactly to Drew today at the cable. You used to just get a plaque for winning a cable contest, now $7k. The good thing about it is that it is forcing all of the boat guys to adapt to the cable. Luckily your daughter is already one of the best cable riders in the world.
PS Dickey if you are reading this, the first thing my mom said to me when i got home is "Kyle, look at your eye!! Go take out your contacts now, you look like you have pink eye".
Cable is the future of the sport. There are rumored to be 30+ cables in the US in the near future which means kids are going to come out of the woodwork and start shredding. Look at Drew for example, he has been riding cable now for less than a year and is doing tricks that would take years to master behind the boat. There are less injuries (needing surgery wise) and you can spend $500 for a season pass to shred your face off. You don't need a crew to go out and ride. There are going to be more and more kids getting sponsored for cable riding than boat riding because it is a better pay off for the company. Kids can sit on the dock and see a dude shredding without having to goto a tour stop or watch a video. It is basically live advertisement. I have never seen so many Watson Hybrids and Witness grinds then any board in one location.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-16-2010, 5:15 PM Reply   
I'll tell you right now I respect boat riders but it is bull**** that cable riders get less and less respect every vs post I see. Honestly 75+% riders on here are close minded towards cable because they've never ridden one, see a video and "that looks so easy, I'll do a raley first day!" if they have then they couldn't take their boat tricks to cable right away so therefore " cable is gay". But it's a sport trying to gain respect within its own sport, skating went through the same thing when street skating wasn't accepted and now there are barley and bowl comps. Anyways just be more open minded and go try it yourself before you judge someone.....
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       08-16-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
wakeboarding is wakeboarding, just like ^ skating is skating. You watch the x games and you see the bmx and skate comps on the mega ramp and the street courses. I dont think pierre luc gagnon is rippin on ryan sheckler for not being able to do stuff on the mega ramp that he can do on street. Maybe not the best example but you know what I mean. Boat and cable are both fun and people prefer one or the other for many reasons, not everyone is in the same location or cash flow status to do one or the other.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-16-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
I thought this was a Tom vs. Clifford, not Cable vs. Boat. Why is this site just becoming a site where the the hater's have taken over. This might be the last time I get on this. Dave can't you do something about all these douche bags hating on one another. Anyway my vote goes to Tom only because I've met him and he is one nice guy. Not saying Clifford isn't because I'm sure he is as nice as he seems on TV, but meeting Tom has really made me realize that these athletes are some of the most appreciative, selfless guys in all of sports. He has always taken time to talk to me and my friends at the cable.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-17-2010, 1:38 AM Reply   
Exactly Jon!

Anyway back on topic, clifford and Tom both insane at the moment, top of their game. I would have to give it to Tom at the moment as being the most COMPLETE rider currently Ive ever seen. Just killing it on everything, on obstacles nobody can touch this guy at the moment.

Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-17-2010, 2:03 AM Reply   
On the cable vs boat (vs jet ski ;p ) arguement
I'm happy whatever I'm riding behind cos it means I'm riding.
People like Ben how talk trash about the different formats can take their directional out and get their toes wet behind their boat/cable....... I really couldn't care less.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-17-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
Mark, That Tom video might be the single most tech and amazing riding ever put together on the internet, and to think it was just from one morning...
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-17-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
Mark, That Tom video might be the single most tech and amazing riding ever put together on the internet, and to think it was just from one morning...
He changed shorts three times that morning than.... lol.
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       08-17-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
At the moment I would say Tom but Harley is like 17 or something right, and Tom is like 24. So the way Harley is riding now, imagine the stuff he'll be doing by the time he is 24.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-17-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
I dunno man, I really think that riders just peak at different ages, I just hope harley keeps healthy, if so I cant wait to see what he throws down in the coming years!
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-17-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
Clifford: I have a theory – ‘Legitimacy and Style’

Wakeboarding differs from traditional board-sports (ie. snow, surf, skate) because of 2 factors, the handle and the rope. This matters a lot.

Legitimate – the rope: Boat riding is more ‘legitimate’ than cable. I think this is a fact, a matter of science. The rope is too high on the cable. The high rope decreases the traditional effect of gravity, so tricks are done more ‘swing-like’ with softer landings. It’s easy to see that an ‘indian line’ is less legitimate than a standard line. For the same reason, a cable is less legitimate than the boat. Obviously boats have towers, but this was designed to neutralize the effect of the rope, because no tower pulls the rider down, and an excessive tower extension makes it too swing like – too much like cable. That’s why 12 ft tower extensions never took off. It’s not about easy or hard, it’s about the projectory and the effect of gravity on the rider.

Style – the handle: the handle matters a lot, because it allows really strong riders to power their way through moves that are nothing more than strength and handle control. Strength and handle control has very little to do with traditional board-riding ability. Many riders believed to be stylish perform moves more continuously, like a snowboarder would. So, the more it appears the rider is controlling the trick through the handle, arguably the less stylish. Once in the air, when speed increases or decrease, the rider changes direction in an unnatural way relying on the handle – that’s typically not stylish. Obviously not true in all cases.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-17-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
last point to tie it together, the higher the rope, the greater improtance the handle has and the more the rider can rely on the handle - that's the relation.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-17-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
^^^exactly - thats why its much easier to land tricks on the cable.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
What cable do you all ride at? I'd like to go to the one where you can rely on the handle and rope, because honestly that is one of the hardest things to me about cable riding, smaller handle, upward pull, makes things more difficult........
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-17-2010, 1:16 PM Reply   
Who is better Gregggggg Nelsonnnnnn orrrrrrrrr Bill Mcaffreyyyyyyyyyyyy..................Whats cooler Stand up jetskisssssss orrrrrrrrr windsurfersssssssssss..........

Someone please hug these people.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       08-17-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
You know what? I just started cable riding and if you haven't tried a system 2 or cable system yet, you're missing out. It's helping my boat riding massively, I'm getting more board control and doing tricks I never dreamed I could do.

If you're on here using the word legitimate to describe different forms of wakeboarding you need to get outside and have a set, chill with mates and try something new. Damn! Cable is awesome. So is boat. Stop whinging!!!

ps Harley is freaking amazing. So is Tom. haha. I'm sitting on the fence.

Last edited by razorjaw; 08-17-2010 at 1:45 PM. Reason: Spelt "doing" wrong :)
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-17-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
i was trying to approach the issue from an objective point of view, that there are fundamental factors that matter. it's not all bro this and legitimate that. i actually really enjoy riding cable, and wish there was one close by. and yes, riding cable makes your boat riding a lot stronger, standing on nearly any board makes your boat riding stronger.

i tried to use 'legitimate' as i thought others used it, to compare wakeboarding to traditional boardsports.... and yes, there is a very legitimate difference.
Old     (austindodson)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2010, 6:31 PM Reply   
cable is a joke
Old     (austindodson)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2010, 6:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
DId Nick Davies just fall off the face of the earth or something? Pretty sure there's numerous guys that can run with that pack
And yes nick davies is obviously the best cable rider in my opinion
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-17-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
Thanks for clearing that up Austin, you might as well not say anything at all next time.
Old    usfhookup            08-17-2010, 9:41 PM Reply   
Good point Austin... Nick Davies is the best cable rider... so this thread should be about Harley VS. Davies
Old    usfhookup            08-17-2010, 10:52 PM Reply   
alright and im going to go one step further... riding cable is not wakeboarding... you never see an actualy "wake" riding circles around a cable. You could "wakeboard" for 10 years at a cable park and have no idea what its like to hit a WAKE on your BOARD.

Cableboarding shouldn't even be in the same category as wakeboarding... when in reality it is much closer to kiteboarding. Thats why a good kiteboarder can wipe the floor at any contest against a bunch of cable "wakeboarders" (Ex: Bill Parker)

Sorry for getting off topic... Harley > Fooshe
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       08-18-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
All I have to say to that Ben you are really close minded. Fill in the blank, Hey my friends and I are going ___________ing at the cable park. Hey my friends and I are going ____________ing behind Joes boat. Same answer = same category.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-18-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
jay, i think the answer is riding.

i wouldn't say the cable isn't wakeboarding, but if you are 'wakeboarding' behind the kite - is that wakeboarding also. i do think the cable is somewhere between the boat and a kite, closer to the boat though. but it's a sliding spectrum, all sliding away from traditional board sports. boat to cable to kite, in that order. i don't consider kiteboarding a boardsport - i consider it predominantly a wind sport, i think the board is secondary. kiteboarders are avoiding 'dangle' style because it emphasizes the reliance on the kite too much, they are trying to look like a boardsport now. none of this is prejudice, or one is better than the other, i'm looking to learn how to kiteboard, and already said i love riding cable.

i don't think its close minded to know where you stand. for the record, wakeboarding is my first sport.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-18-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
Excellent points Ben and Austin! I think you guys should be the new ambassadors of the sport. Oh and Charles Ill be sure to mention to all my buddies who ride cable that unfortunately its not "legitimate". Guess they should all just go ahead and quit riding.

Here my take, if you cant ride boat and cable you don't have any reason to comment. Its just plain ignorant. Im really tired of hearing this cable is super easy comment. You know why? It comes from guys who cant ride cable for crap. You ever hear guys like Rathy, Lidberg or Harley bitching that cable is too easy? Thats because it ISNT. Its a different way to ride that comes with a whole different set of skills that takes time, passion and balls to get, just like boat riding.

You only ever see the sick videos that Norbi is producing of the best of the best riders so it looks easy. You probably think you could rock up to a cable park and throw down a double sbend to blind or Mobe 5 and it wouldnt matter if you crashed coz its like landing in feathers. I see guys getting knocked silly trying raleys all the time. Ive got 2 concussions from trying dubsblinds, blown eardrum from learning KGB's. If the best boat riders out there have respect for cable it boggles my mind that some keyboard jockey punk thinks he knows better or can tell me my riding is not as bloody "legitimate" as his, doesnt matter if its a wake to wake jump, its behind a boat so its gotta be more legit right?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
bottom line if you want your future kids to wakeboard, and have easy access to it, and your grandchildren, and great grandchildre, you better accept cable, cause that's highly likely what they'll be doing.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-18-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
mark, i appreciate your passion, bit blinded by it though. i'm not saying what you or your buddies do isn't legimate. i'm saying there a real factors that differentiate the different forms of 'towed' sport from traditional board sports. it would appear that upsets you. boat cable and kite all have unique characteristics. they can all be legimately cool. maybe i shouldn't have used 'legitimate' - obviously struck a cord.

you don't need to take offense, and just because you don't like what i'm saying doesn't make me a keyboard jockey punk. i've actuall thought this through. i ride boat and cable, i'm decent at both. regardless of my level, it doesn't change the physics behind each discipline.
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-18-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
Ive been watching this closely from a far as a friend of Tom's former cable rider (used to ride and work at TSR) now I live in Dallas and ride boat only. I miss the hell out of cable, there is nothing like being able to play follow the leader with one of your friends at the cable park, or being able have a kicker party with 5 guys all trying new things at one of the kickers and walking back together to try it again. But I love boat to. When I was riding cable all the time I didnt appreciate it as much as I should have. I thought the famous boat is greater than cable theory, but I still rode cable. Now that I am out of cable riding except for when I visit the skranch, I dearly miss it, I hold it at the same level as boat. Cable has also helped my boat riding in so many ways as well from air tricks to the kicker, I would never have been able to do Indy glides off the wake had I not learned them off the kicker first. I would never have learned roll to blind had I not learned it of the water on cable first. Cable is just another aspect of wakeboarding and should be treated as equal. Ill bet some of these people trashing cable riders saying they arent legit can't even come close to the rail riding abilities of cable riders. I have several friends who are way better behind the wake than I am, but because of my cable experience I can compete and beat them sometimes in rail contest even though they are clearly the more skilled boat rider by far. And @usfhookup Ben Daniels the argument that a cable rider would have no Idea how to hit a wake is way off base. I have two friends whose only exposure to wakeboarding was tsr. One of the guys on his 3rd time ever out on a boat landed a tantrum hs 3, ts 5 and an S-Bend! The other guy recently rode in a Thursday boat showdown at TSR, he has ridden boat fewer times than he can count on both hands and he landed all 4 fs 5's in his pass as well as a handfull of basic inverts, I would say cable helps your boat riding a lot. Finally to the main point of this thread. I know I am Bias, but Tom is more complete than harley, Anyone who has seen him ride boat knows this. And to those who think Davies is the better Cable rider obviously dont pay attention to the results at all the cable contest Tom wins and beat Davies. Not saying, Davies does not beat Tom, but im pretty sure Tom is winning the series between the two. I mean the guy can do a double sbend on a trick ski he is insane. So to make a really long story short, Tom is the best all around rider.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-18-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
Great post Brian.

I ride primary boat, since we have no cables on the west coast. I've visited OWC twice with my group of close friends and had the time of my life. Just a different way to have fun on a wakeboard, like winching or anything else. Great place to practice and ride WITH your friends.

This is part of our sport, no matter how much some people want to resist it.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-18-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
I agree with brian about all that was said about how fun cable is, follow the leader is the best.

BUT.... I ride both a few times a week. that being said, i have tricks on cable that i dont have on boat. Dont get me wrong cable helps my riding a ton and i am very thankful to have been able to ride both. Trick for trick though, boat is indisputably more technical, i can slide on my a$$ on cable all over the place and hold on.

AT THE SAME TIME THOUGH.... there are so many rippers at the cable that i cant keep up with, not even close... they do tricks that just cant be done on the boat.. yet. Also cable riders just have this "cable style" thats awesome.

So... I dont really like to compare the two, just like you cant compare an apple to a banana... they are just different... neither is more legit than the other, because i assure you that a good cable rider has done homework and put as many hours as you have behind the boat. I think oakley's move of the year should have a boat and cable category.

As far as harley vs tom... i like both!
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-18-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
Well said Brian. I completely agree and have seen similar things with cable riders learning boat fast.

Charles you came across as incredibly patronizing, I think thats my main problem. Actually you did say its not legitimate right here;

"Boat riding is more ‘legitimate’ than cable"

I'm pretty sure I acknowledged the differences between boat riding and cable, unlike you however I have never felt it necessary to directly compare the two and say one is better or in your words, more "legitimate" than the other. I ride both and I love both, and I'm always pumped for progression in our sport.

Anyway peace

Last edited by cheesydog; 08-18-2010 at 2:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (blakehess1)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-18-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
Tom dominated in the Ultimate wake comp a year ago in the Philippines (Cable, Boat, Winch Park and Obstacles only) but after watching Henshaw, Rathy, Lariche and Bob at the second stop of the WWA US Triple Crown the margin is narrowing quickly. Harley took second at OZ brostock cable comp this year and took second a few years back at another big cable event so he can definitely hold his own on cable. Nick Davies has to be included in the conversation unless you are only talking about comp riding. It will be interesting this year in the Philippines, I hope Harley competes in all 4 events!

http://cablewakeboard.com/video/deta...-keith-at-tsr/

a quick vid of tom, also right after Harley's five 9's video came out I watched Tom do it all five 9's in a row in a cable comp without falling. Harley may not of fallen either, i'm not sure. They are both amazing and I didn't think we would ever see this level of riding!
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-18-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
five 9s on boat and five 9s on cable are both awesome... but not comparable IMHO. Please no one take my comments as bashing cable, like i said above, i love both, and think both are amazing riders that i will always look up to.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
cable brings the sport closer to snowboarding, which brings the sport closer to the masses. cable riders have more of a snowboard style than boat riders. too me they are almost turning into two different sports.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-18-2010, 4:53 PM Reply   
A bit off topic but I could see something like the Red Bull Wakelab getting wakeboarding back into the X Games.
Old     (austindodson)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-18-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
Well i have no problem with cable but are you kidding me.. you have soooo much more time in the air of a big kicker than off the wake no matter how big ur wake is you still wont have the same height or time than off a kicker.... harley did a WTW 10 thats insane let me know when tom does a 1440 cause that will be about the equivalent to a wtw 10 on boat.. oh and dont forget how cable riders slide the first 180 of the spins on the ramp.........just saying
Old     (blakehess1)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-18-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
Were not just talking about spins or inverts, just a small portion of riding. I agree that Harley is probably closer to Tom on Cable than Tom is close to Harley on boat. So give that edge to Harley but I have to give rails to Tom (just my opinion but I don't get to see Harley ride that often other than videos). We can debate this forever and you can make either rider sound better overall. Not many comments about either one of their rail riding. Go ahead and debate that for a while.

I think it is amazing that someone considered a cable rider is even discussed in this debate and a second one Nick Davies was also brought in. 5 years ago, even 2 years ago these debates would not even get the time of day. There are some incredible riders (Lior Sofer, Freddie Von Osten, Domminick Guers...) that most people in these forums have not even heard of.
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       08-18-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
Austin when you can do all of the tricks Tom can do on cable then you can talk, I dont know you but I highly doubt you would be able to do a 1440 off a kicker. Mad props to those who use cable riding and wake riding to help better their overall skills. Unfortunaetly dont have the cash flow for a boat so I stick to cable but I still ride behind my biddies fishing boat for the fun of it.
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-18-2010, 8:53 PM Reply   
Austin when have you ever seen Tom spin his first 180 off the kicker... I have never seen him spin till he was off the ramp. And Blake Hess brings up a good point about rails Ive seen tom go backside 450 transfer to frontboard backside 90 out... how many people do that?
Old     (austindodson)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-18-2010, 8:56 PM Reply   
im not arguing they both shred
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-19-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindodson View Post
Well i have no problem with cable but are you kidding me.. you have soooo much more time in the air of a big kicker than off the wake no matter how big ur wake is you still wont have the same height or time than off a kicker.... harley did a WTW 10 thats insane let me know when tom does a 1440 cause that will be about the equivalent to a wtw 10 on boat.. oh and dont forget how cable riders slide the first 180 of the spins on the ramp.........just saying
I would actually say of all people, Tom does NOT spin while on a kicker
Old     (acerock88)      Join Date: May 2008       08-19-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
I think two guys missing from this debate are Danny Harf and Aaron Rathy. Especially Rathy because not only is he great at all types of wakeboarding, but he used to be really good on the wakeskate as well.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-19-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
harley hands down.... refer to w2w 10 and bs 7 vid.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-19-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
I honestly ride boat non-stop and get to enjoy cable very little...however I enjoy cable SOOO much more because of the variety. I honestly believe if there were more cables out here cable would get a lot more respect. Both guys are pushing their respective sports HARD...they are both insanely talented and driven athletes. Plus boat and cable both involve different muscle groups and technique...making the comparison even that more impossible.
Old     (odub0perator)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-19-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
both are amazing at their abilities in their fields, but where is the style...? i think being too competitive can lead to having less style, because all ur trying to do is land the tricks that are needed, instead of trying to get to where u can do them your own unique way. there are some exceptions like dean smith for behind the boat. i've seen him do a lot of stuff that some people just dont do, and he goes massive too! i think there should be a contest between who people think has the best style for each part of wakeboarding (rails, boat, and cable) so the guys that are the most innovative can get thier credit.
Old     (blakehess1)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-19-2010, 7:20 PM Reply   
I like that idea, style only comp, maybe we can host that at TSR since we have cable and boat! 10-15 rail hits, 3 laps (air tricks and kickers) w/ 3 pick ups and 3 passes on the boat lake! Maybe we will do a tourney at the Points Championship Oct 8-10 to test out the format and then blow something up in 2011 at Cablestock!
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-19-2010, 8:33 PM Reply   
Or mccormicks
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-20-2010, 4:30 AM Reply   
wow....honestly who cares. both of them are amazing riders in there own rights. im sure if you threw harley on cable for a while he'd be just as good as tom. and vice-versa. theres a lot of riders you could make this corolation with.
Old     (rivrat)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-20-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
Best all around riders Rathy, Davies, Tom, and Harley and thats boat, cable, obstacle, and wakeskate and thats in no specific order cause I think any one of them could win just depending on whos on there game that day. Just my opinion And Blake that would be a sick contest I would definitely fly out to texas to ride some cable and watch that
Old    mojo            08-30-2010, 1:57 AM Reply   
jd webb kills it on wake, rails, cable, surf, mini ramp, barefoot. it's really impossible to say who is the best rider, but harley is definitely one of the most amazing guys on the water right now.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-30-2010, 3:48 AM Reply   
Wheres my pop corn