Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-03-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
What can you do? Anyone doing inverts, spins?
I am supposed to have surg in 7d, but thinking of canceling and having it done in Sept, and ride with a brace all summer?
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-03-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
You could ride but risk doing more damage to other ligaments in the knee. Better off just getting it done.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-03-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
I've done it, rode with a brace and no acl for 1.5 seasons. The only problem I had was landing in the flats once and my knee cap dislocating as I pulled the muscles in my knee.

I recommend the surgery but you can get by if you want to delay it.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-04-2009, 1:06 AM Reply   
Didn't Harf ride a whole pro tour season without an ACL? If your getting paid to ride just go ahead and put it on the line! Save the surgery for the off season.
Old     (ronixrider456)      Join Date: Apr 2009       12-04-2009, 2:56 AM Reply   
not a smart thing to do
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-04-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
If you have it done now you could be back riding by June if there are no complications and you stay strict and work hard on your rehab.
Old     (lfrider06)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-04-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
I rode for the past two summers without an acl but I do have a cti2 brace. I do tricks into the flats alot. Just make sure you hit the gym but still be careful.
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-04-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
I would go see a sports doctor and get an opinion or a MRI. I tried to ride with a torn acl and i couldnt do it. I couldnt even go w2w without having some serious pain. Its only Dec. so you would have plenty of time to recover.I'm sorry but i dont believe anyone is going into the flats with a torn acl. Riding with it torn is like having a time bomb on your knee. your knee is going to give at some point and trust me that is going to be very painfull.then you will miss out on the entire summer. just my .02cents
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-04-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
Wasn't one of the Hoffman's trying 900's with a torn ligament in her knee? I seem to remember a big argument on this board about that last year or something.
Old     (brett_cti_knee_braces)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-04-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
I have had a ton of professional athletes hit me up who get injured mid-season. It is often critical to their career and to obligations made to their sponsors that they finish out a season. With such a short lifespan of earning potential and rapid progression of the sport, sometimes it is necessary to delay a surgical repair. We have had several great success stories of athletes winning championships during years where they blew out their ACL.
That being said, I do not recommend this for most people. The risk factor for causing additional damage is greatly increased. Not to mention, you make healthy body parts more vulnerable to injury as you are going to be compensating to protect your injured knee.
If your financial livelihood is not dependent upon your ability to ride... then get it fixed. It sucks to loose a whole season, but it is even worse to not be able to walk up some stairs without pain when your 45.
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-04-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
Well said Brett
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       12-04-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
My brother is riding with his ACL totally gone!
He had a pretty bad injury and it just disappeared after a while =( he has to wear a custom made knee brace and he also had a shoulder surgery. poor fella. he still rips tho! injuries suck! bigtime
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-04-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
Appreciate the input,
Knee feels stable, but lots of clicking and dull pain. I think it's a go-just not convenient for the family (aka wife)
It's a mental health thing, riding
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-04-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
As one of this summer's many ACL victims, I'd urge you not to risk it. Your ACL can be repaired, but a few shifts of the knee joint and you're tearing up your meniscus which cannot be easily fixed or repaired. Trash you cartilage and you're looking at knee replacement later on.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-10-2009, 7:49 PM Reply   
On for surgery in the morning, cryocuff and crutches and cranky wife on hand.
Summer seems so long away when its 17 degrees out,
happy hour until midnite.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       12-10-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
riding like a broken down old dude, sucks. I've gone through one and pretty much my replacement needs to be done. Wear that brace dudes. All I can say is that we don't get paid to ride...we pay. So, if you think it's more important that walking and working...well I guess it hasn't stopped me yet...stubborn
Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-11-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
I had ACL Surgery 3 months ago at the same time As Dustin Yost. He and I have made a great recover. I feel awesome! I am going snowboarding this weekend. No Terrain park action, but my knee feels awesome! I killed it on the physical therapy and didn't party for about 3 months. I am in the best shape I have been since college and I am 29 years old. I would get the surgery!

-Rob