Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-21-2013, 10:26 AM Reply   
Well...after 3.5mos of thinking Im just getting old, body couldnt take a beating and thinking I was just sore from my new activity of boxing for fitness. I was diagnosed with a bicep tear. Even though I live in the great sunshine state, weather has been in the upper 70s-mid 80s, water temps at 74, I have ridden only once this winter and was feeling pain after 5min of riding. I toughed it up when I went to Abu Dhabi bc I couldnt pass up the chance of riding over there.

My friends have been pestering me for a few months now and prob getting annoyed that I dont ride at all or feel that I gave it up. Well, to be honest, I am embarrassed that my body cant do what I want it to do and seems like Ive been hurt more times in the last 3 yrs than any other times. But then again, I remind myself, I wasnt doing any of these activities from 2005-2010. So I never let any of them know and just blew it off. I do feel a little better though today knowing that I am actually hurt and its not just my body being sore. All of my friends are much younger than I too so I need to occasionally think of that.

So the ortho wants to prescribe a therapy plan of 6-8weeks, see how that goes and 2nd option is surgery.

This sucks!!! But this explains the soreness/sometimes throbbing pain Ive had since October.
Old     (HighWater)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-21-2013, 11:53 AM Reply   
I feel ya on the thinking of maybe the age thing is catching up. I'll be 30 this year, and in the past 4 years I have broken both legs, compound tib/fib from motocross, and tibial plateau fracture along with major tendon and ligament damage in my knee from wakeboarding. Im up to 20 titanium pins and two plates in my lower extremities. Not to mention, 4 major concussions, torn AC ligament in shoulder, and collarbone fracture. All the guys I ride with are a couple years younger then me, and still going strong, but have never suffered the major injuries I have. With this last injury being the tib plateau fracture, I believe I have sold myself the winning ticket to retirement from extreme sports. I always been a quoter of, 'ride within your limits", when mx'ing and boarding, but my brain cant overcome my "full tilt" way of doing things. So if you can ride within your limits, enjoy it as long as you can. Rehab that bicep and dont push yourself into something that sidelines you permenantly. Best of luck to ya
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-21-2013, 1:49 PM Reply   
I've had a bicep tear for the last 6 years, I'm 51 now. Never had surgery or PT. Recently my arm has been killing me! I wonder if this could be the prob. My Surgeon told me that if it didn't hurt or I didn't lose alot of strength, I should just use it as is. It didn't hurt then, but now its bothering me! Needless to say, I only surf now.......
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-21-2013, 2:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
I've had a bicep tear for the last 6 years, I'm 51 now. Never had surgery or PT. Recently my arm has been killing me! I wonder if this could be the prob. My Surgeon told me that if it didn't hurt or I didn't lose alot of strength, I should just use it as is. It didn't hurt then, but now its bothering me! Needless to say, I only surf now.......
Well I dont surf or have anyone who does, wish Idid though for this purpose. im upset that my new custom sup and paddle are to arrive in next month or so and here I am in pain trying to click the mouse at my desk for work.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-21-2013, 3:56 PM Reply   
I have a torn bicep
I tore it lifting the engine compartment lid while sitting at a strange angle

The doctor told me that scar it would heal, but look funny. Having been married for some time, I decided not to spend the thousands, and I let it heal on its own....no surgery.

I now have a big hole where the bicep meets the shoulder.
It freaks the kids out

I do notice that that arm gets tired more quickly. During the P90X workouts, I sometimes have to go with 5 pound lighter dumbells with that arm. There is also a bit of an angle difference on how I do curls....

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have the surgery....

It's not the greatest picture to see it, but it's the left arm....
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-22-2013, 7:52 AM Reply   
I partially ruptured my left bicep tendon last year, when the tendon connects the bicep to the lower arm. Recovery took about 12 months, and it's still not 100%. The challenge is not using the arm so that it truly gets a chance to heel. Something as simple as picking up my kid would set me back. It really sucked.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-22-2013, 9:21 AM Reply   
Mine is like that also! it's like a tennis ball in my arm, my wife won't touch it! LOL it freaks her out..
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-22-2013, 11:41 AM Reply   
A number of you need to go see orthopedic surgeons, though for some of you it may be too late.

I ruptured my biceps tendon this summer. Mine was pretty obvious, so I was at the docs office that same day. I had surgery a week after the injury to reattach the tendon. Four months later I was back wakeboarding a little bit and was going full bore at maybe 5 months post op.

The longer you wait on some of these injuries, the more scar tissue your body forms and the more difficult surgery can be. Minor injuries and partial tears can be more problematic as it is easier on those to postpone seeing a doctor in the first place and thus making surgery more difficult if that is the direction you need or choose to go.

My advice is to think long term. Don't postpone doing what makes your body right for the long term because you don't want to give up a few months worth of activity. Even the most drastic surgeries (like and ACL repair) will only put you down for 6-9 months. That's not much to sacrifice if in exchange you get years of pain free enjoyment of sports.