Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-15-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Anyone ride/seen the 2011 Marius yet? I'm wondering if I should start stocking up on the 08-10 shape. Hows it ride in comparison?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-15-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
i haven't seen it but i've heard it is different than the 09-10 shape.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-15-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
John, I have seen it, but haven't ridden it. We did take it out on the boat where one of the other guys got to ride it. He was pretty pumped. He's been a long time Marius rider and is stoked on the new shape. I don't think you'll be disappointed. From what I gathered it is faster and snappier than the old shape. It also rolls onto edge more quickly.
Old    SamIngram            11-15-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
I wonder if it is going to have chevrons (term borrowed from the O'Brien Line...) like the Absolute...
Attached Images

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-15-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
I wonder if it is going to have chevrons (term borrowed from the O'Brien Line...) like the Absolute...
You mean Stolen from O'brien????????
Old    SamIngram            11-15-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
You mean Stolen from O'brien????????
Yes.... stolen! The Decade is probably the best board I have ever ridden...

LOL.. CWB calls them "mini steps"...

Quote:
2 rows of 6 v-shaped mini steps increase speed while reducing drag

Last edited by SamIngram; 11-15-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-15-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
Yeah I know, I cant believe how blatantly they just ripped that idea off. But on the flip side it does ligitimize the concept. I got a lot of emails on that photo of Zane.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-15-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
imitation is the highest form of praise!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-15-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
Isn't imitation the greatest form of flattery? I wouldn't call that stealing an idea. In this sport that is so small and all the companies are essentially doing the same thing (ie. building wakeboards), its not too far fetched to see similar design elements, especially if they work. I don't think anyone said O'brien ripped off whatever company first put a phaser on an old skool board. They are all the same thing, loosen the board to reduce drag to make it faster. We could create a list 100 things long of wakeboard design "ripoffs".

The new Marius does not have that feature. From what I've been told , the new board is great and is much easier to get on edge.

Last edited by stephan; 11-15-2010 at 1:04 PM. Reason: I don't type to gooder den most.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-15-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
One of the biggest diffs i noticed was that the new marius has multiple mini channels in the tip and tail. zoom in on this pic and you will see
http://ridecwb.net/uploads/images/cw..._wakeboard.png

also the newer one has four total bolt on fins instead of two and the molded fins. i imagine this change alone should increase the board's popularity at the parks you think? and the fins bolt on with TWO bolts instead of the ol' school single bolt
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-15-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
Are those Phasers?!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-15-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
What Eubanks said. Chevrons or mini-steps or what ever you want to call them are just up dated versions of Phasers or the diamond patterns that you'd find on older boards. There's been prototypes of boards from most manufacturers with all sorts of different shaped phasers floating around for years and years. The idea is nothing new, its just when and where to use them.

Having ridden the Decade I can say they use them well. Can't comment on the new absolute, never ridden it.
Old     (radmattyd)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-15-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
The 2011 Marius's won't be in until Dec. 13th.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-15-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
The new Marius is now longer and a bit narrower on the tip and tail.
Almost like they just grabbed it and pulled. I'm no great rider but I really liked the new shape. And I used to ride with a small center fin on my 10 Marius. I was lucky enough to get to ride it with the 11 AA boots and it was so much fun, It is going to be my set up next year for sure.

I just wish they would hurry up and start shipping !
Everybody that rode it liked it except for 1 person who liked the old shape better.
I heard 1 person say it was similar to the Faction.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       11-16-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
The mini steps or channels are definitely not "phasers" - hey Eubanks did you ever receive the LGS handles?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-16-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
Phasers: Break up water, mix in air and create speed.

What do mini steps do?
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       11-16-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
These steps run parallel tip to tail and generally speaking increase tracking, edge control, and overall performance. They do not break up the water surface or function like the V's or chevrons built into the 2011 Absolute.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-16-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
Sorry, my bad, I thought Chevrons = Mini Steps in CWBese. Apologies.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       11-16-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
"Phasers" would be term invented in the early 90's to describe diamond or round shaped divets molded into the bottom of uni-directional ski/wake boards.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-16-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
i already ordered my 2011 Marius 136, hopefully it comes in before Christmas... YEW!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-16-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
CWB - Yes, I did get them! You are incredibly generous. I really appreciate you taking care of me. I really like the feel of the LGS. The "arm" part of the handle stopped floating after a couple of sets, but the handle itself is still staying on top of the water. I just hope it continues to float! Thanks again and I'll have more feedback for you once I get to ride more (wife had a baby recently).
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       11-17-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
The end caps do fill with water but I've included 4 hidden floats inside the endcap that should always keep the handles bouyant.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-25-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
fazers, lazers, blazers, who cares this board is sick and its going to replace my 2010 faction that was the best board I have ever ridden.KP
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-25-2010, 8:49 PM Reply   
What a different tune people are taking to the Chevrons now that another company is using them. As I recall at the time O'Brien pioneered them, people on here were mocking them and saying how they were nothing more than glorified phasers and how phasers didn't work.

Now people are acting as if Phasers worked and that O'Brien wasn't innovative.

Phasers didn't work.

O'Brien's chevrons do.

O'Brien based their chevron idea off of the bottom of racing boats.

I don't think CWB is bad for using the same idea, it's really no different than everyone else jumping on the molded in fins design after Badass pioneered them.