Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    mojo            08-04-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
i noticed this at masters. why does he wear socks on both feet every time he rides?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-04-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
Some people have noted it stops a bit of heel lift. Other's have mentioned on some of the older boots ( eg. hyperlite Murray's) that a piece would dig in to your foot and if you wore a sock it made it a bit more comfortable. Other then that I don't know, don't wear them myself.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-04-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
Clearly they're the new 2012 prototype "Hyper-Air" liners for the 1/6 of a pound boots that magnetically attach to the board.

Okay... for real... I've noticed in the pictures that some people are wearing socks more and more. I can't imagine it's for anything more than maybe snugging your foot a bit more in the bindings. Other than that, I really can't think of too much. Like Dave said above, that one model of Murray's had EVERYBODY wearing socks.
Old     (rawB)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-04-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
Do they put on a new pair of socks for every set or do they wear wet socks?

I've worn a pair of neoprene socks in my open toe bindings when it's cold out and they're pretty comfy.
Old    ChrisEbrahimoff            08-04-2010, 2:05 PM Reply   
Dallas does too...I asked one time at PerSki and they just said her foot is so small that it just gives her a better fit...I'm sure (minus his foot being small) that Rusty does it for the same reason...a better fit.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-04-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
I had to with the 2008 Murray bindings because the footbed was very slick when it got wet. Without socks your foot would slide around in the boot...no matter how tight you had them. Murray himself wore socks with those boots for the very same reason.

Other than that it is a bit more comfortable. I would just wear the same pair (wet) if I rode more than one set.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       08-04-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
It is most likely to give a little better fit along with cover up the tape he was wearing for his war wounds from biking. If you have bad ankles and tape them up, the socks would make it much easier to get on and off along with keeping the tape from coming off.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-04-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
I'm not sure about Rusty but I wear socks because it's really easy to get in and out of my bindings with socks on.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-04-2010, 9:44 PM Reply   
I noticed my foot sliding around and sometimes kind of jamming my toes forward a little. Mostly in the older foot beds like people are saying, but I find that my foot stays planted really well and has a good fit all around. I know it looks goofy when putting my board on and off, but I'm not too worried about that.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-05-2010, 4:14 AM Reply   
wow, I really noticed this last weekend using a new to me pair of 08 Murrays. Looks like I'll be taking a pair of socks on the boat with me this weekend.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-05-2010, 4:15 AM Reply   
Has anyone tried anything else to deal with the slippery footbed? Like a shoe insert? That was my original plan before reading this thread.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-05-2010, 5:29 AM Reply   
Shaun, I'm sure when your out riding that folks must come down on you pretty hard for rocking socks haha
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-05-2010, 6:22 AM Reply   
Could be dealing with some blisters, definitely rides enough to get them.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-05-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
I wore them for the last two years because it improved binding fit. I was always in between sizes and the socks made my bindings fit better. A side benefit of socks was that it allowed my to cinch my laces tight, but still come out of my bindings on a hard crash. I don't really want to start the 1 foot in, 1 foot out argument, but on a hard crash I want my feet to come free. I've had too many 1/2 way out crashes or major head whacks from being stuck in tight bindings on edge diggers.

For 2010 CWB changed their fit enough for me to go sockless. IMO, I'd prefer not to wear socks if I don't have to, but it worked for me in the previous gen boots.
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
For me it is a fit issue. A size 12 boot is too small (length) and a 13/14 is a little large. If I don't wear socks I just can't get the boots tight enough for my foot not to slide around. With the socks, they don't move in the bindings and it feels pretty good to boot.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
YEAH IF YOU WEAR A BOOT and your foot slides forward on a hard landing your toes are getting jammed. OUCH!
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-05-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
I was lucky enough to have Rusty on my boat 2 months ago for an Alliance Mag photo/video shoot. He didn't wear socks in his bindings but he did generously tape and wrap both ankles. I didn't ask why but I'm sure it was to protect himself from the 20ft dubs he was hitting! Maybe that is what you are seeing?

Here is a link to the video.

http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/when-the-sun-comes-up/
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-05-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
Ok so heres the real question. What kind of socks are you guys wearing and where do you get them at? I have a narrow foot and I sometimes get heel lift or my feet move forward. I think socks would help alleviate this but not sure what kind to get? Are they nylon, cotton, neoprene?
Old    ChrisEbrahimoff            08-05-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce_bronkite View Post
Ok so heres the real question. What kind of socks are you guys wearing and where do you get them at? I have a narrow foot and I sometimes get heel lift or my feet move forward. I think socks would help alleviate this but not sure what kind to get? Are they nylon, cotton, neoprene?
Go to my thread on the Dallas Friday injury/update in this forum...the first few scenes show what socks she wears as she is putting on hr boots...I think they're fox or something...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 2:07 PM Reply   
i use scuba socks. you can get them at any dive shop.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-06-2010, 12:09 AM Reply   
i have boots one size too big and then fill the space with a thick neoprene sock. boot liners are getting so thin recently in the effort to make the lightest and least-bulky-looking boot that i think things are getting sacrificed.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-06-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
who cares rusty is a d-bag.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-06-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by strife View Post
who cares rusty is a d-bag.
Classy-
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-06-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
Jimmy.... I hope you know Rusty and are just joking.

Matt, I've got some Billabong and some Fox socks that I've worn. I think the most important thing is finding something synthetic. Cotton isn't very comfortable when it's wet and soggy. The polyester blends dry quickly and stay comfortable.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-08-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
I have the Marek bindings and had trouble getting my foot out when my set ended, and had trouble gettting back in when the bindings were soaking wet. i saw a pic of Rusty wearing socks on facebook. I tried and will be wearing socks from now on....both issues are now resolved.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-13-2010, 5:42 AM Reply   
I wear them in the murrays.