Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-24-2008, 11:55 PM Reply   
I'd like to try a few tomorrow.

Any tips? Do you actually yank on the handle before you attempt to pass it? Or do you just start the trick with the handle already in tight at the hip?

A short hard cut approach, or a long steady cut?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2008, 9:07 AM Reply   
J-rod, what's up hommie? BTW I stuck my first try at one the day after trying them on Gary's boat. I have stuck a few more since then.

When I learned these (still getting them consistent) I was taking a long slow approach with an emphasis on pop and low line tension. I also left the handle a little bit out so I could get a pull on it in the air to advance my back hand to it. Initially it felt like I could do the rotation wrapped and land cuffed as I was passing the handle. I am sure someone else with more experience with these has better advice but thats how I learned them. My biggest focus was staying on axis and getting the full rotation. Nothing like a backside edge catch as your trying to pass the handle.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-25-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
that's pretty much how i've been trying them as well. mellow w2w edge. handle a bit further out and a little lower. straight up pop, wait a sec and then a heavy pull to my opposite butt cheek.

i pretty much try to immulate harf's approach and pull when he does his. haven't rode away from one yet but i'm gettin close.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-25-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
When I do them it is pretty much like liquidmx says. I come in with a slow, long progressive edge and pop straight up. I load the line with my front hand instead of my back and for me the spin is started more by the head and shoulder turn than the handle pass. I do tug on the handle a little but feel like I too could land them wrapped or cuffed cause I really don't pass the handle until I land. Every single time I have tried to pass the handle early and do a late grab I have been delt with. If you pass the handle early the line tension will want to pitch you over into a nose dive. It hurts. HAHA

So load with front hand and leave the handle pretty close to your front hip, and start the spin with your head and shoulders. I did them one day when Shaun Murray was in the boat and even though I was landing them he told me to keep the handle out further on the approach and that would make the pass easier to get early on in the trick and eventually take it to 3. Once I started trying that I started catching edges. It may work for some or for actually doing the ts bs 3 but it didn't do it for me.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-27-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
Okay I did another today. I actually "cheated" on one and pulled myself into the wake at the very last second. That one "felt the best" but I shorted the wake by about a foot and cased it. The one I landed was a bit more "traditional" but both ways felt good...either pulling the handle is as I came up the wake and as I was in the air. I would definitely practice the handle pull before committing to the BS 180 though so you have a good idea of how the pull will effect your axis.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-30-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. Going for it.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-30-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
I have been trying these at about 20 mph and 1 wake. Damn! I have gotten the handle twice and once caught the front edge. I could tell it would of hurt had I been going full speed. They talk about pitching your front shoulder up on this trick in most videos. I guess I still don't understand that concept. I'm thinking for progressions sake I'm just going to learn to pass the handle early.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-30-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
Skubz, I struggled with 1 wake ts bs 1's as well. I actually found them easier going w2w. I had more time to adjust and get the handle. When I first started to think about trying them I started doing TS w2w airs with a shifty in the bs direction. Once I got comfortable with that I began trying them focusing primarily on the rotation (landed cuffed facing the boat once....not fun). Once I felt like I had the pop, pull and rotation down I started to focus on the handle, and it came around.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-30-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Cool! Thanks M-Dizzle. I had tried this at full speed about 5 years ago and my very 1st try was the best. I was just thinking if I could get it down without the hard crashes, going wake-to-wake would be a lot easier.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-30-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
Yah, focus on the rotation that way you dont catch a hs edge. After your rotation is good then focus on the handle pass. This will also help you with the aerial awareness leading up to the handle passes. The first one I landed I was pretty much cuffed. I think you could probably land them wrapped as well.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-01-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
I didn't try any last night. Instead I went for a Heel back 360 and ended up landing one. I figured it couldn't hurt to get comfortable spinning backside first, and I knew I would be able to land the HB3 first.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-01-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
HB3's are raw!!! Good stuff.

They actually seem easier than HSFS3's to me (but flat hsfs 3's have been my kryptonite trick...forever). Just respect that BS3 trick. I got them pretty solid and went for one at the end of a set (tired) last season; I ended up spinning it off the wake enough to catch a ts edge and get my bell rung...hard. I am sure every trick has taken someone out at some point, haha. I gotta get back on that horse!
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-01-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
Yeah, love the BS3, but I spin really slow, which also makes the trick feel cool. Definitely have rung my bell a few times on that trick. It just sneaks up on you sometimes.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-01-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
Yah, I decided after that trick that if I am wheezing and tired, I drop the handle and catch my breath before coming into a trick...haha.
Old    alanp            10-04-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
j rod. these are retardedly easy to learn and do. ive taught a couple of people this trick and here are a couple of things to think about. before you even go for the 180. take a few ts jumps. and practice pulling the rope to the small of your back with your lead hand. this will help you learn to keep your axis while getting the pull part of the trick down. try to create a just a little slack in the rope but not anywhere as much as you would for a 3 cause the tension in the line is what will rotate the 180 once you pass the handle. next thought is you need to keep the nose of the board high in the air. much higher than a normal ts jump. trust me you dont want to come down nose heavy on this trick(it will hurt, bad) this will force you to land tail heavy. so once you get step one down, combine it with step two. once you have those down move to the actual trick. all you have to do is get the handle with the rear hand and the line tension will unwind you spinning the 180. like with most tricks. be patient. i dont start the pull on the rope till im nearing the apex of the jump.

for the bs3. my key thought is to really poke my butt towards the people in the boat. have your butt closer to the boat than anything else at the midpoint of the rotation.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-19-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
Well, I finally landed the TS BS 180 wake-to-wake and at nearly full riding length. Normal speed but 1 length off. I was riding on my buddies Super Sport and it was nice and poppy, so I'm not sure if that is what made it easier. I just found myself getting in perfect position, front foot slightly higher and pitched over my toes away from the boat during the handle pass. It was a really solid landing. I'm really excited about the trick and it is really fun to throw. Thanks for the help guys. M-dizzle, you were totally right about going the full-length, thanks.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-19-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
Sweet! Good to here it worked out. Its a really fun trick to do.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-19-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
"Its a really fun trick to do."

Totally agree. It's a very cool feeling and I have been excited about it all day. I haven't had that feeling in quite a while.
Old     (dfrost733)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-28-2009, 6:06 PM Reply   
Can someone post a video of a ts bs 180?
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-29-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
I'm confused why people keep saying they are landing cuffed. Shouldn't you be landing on the heel edge facing the boat? Or are you saying you're getting tied up trying to pass the handle and never actually spin? Am I missing something?