Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-05-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
In Texas, Florida, or Arizona.
No cable, just boat.
Intermediate.

Last edited by rexlex01; 05-05-2014 at 7:40 AM.
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-05-2014, 8:37 AM Reply   
For Texas, I'd recommend lessons from Pat McElhinney (located in Seguin on Lake Placid).

http://www.themcelhinneywakeboardschool.com
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-05-2014, 3:55 PM Reply   
What part of Texas are you going to be in?
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-05-2014, 4:26 PM Reply   
Whatever city, plane tickets are cheapest and the water is warm.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-05-2014, 5:21 PM Reply   
There are tons of great schools in both Texas and Florida that I know of. I'm not familiar with Arizona. I would imagine Florida and Arizona water is warmer at the moment. I went out today in Austin and the water was in the upper 60's but air temps were 90's. So it was fine.If you give us a time line and water temp range we can narrow it down for you.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-06-2014, 3:58 AM Reply   
Rex,
Check out www.theboardingschool.com and let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Travis
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-06-2014, 5:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by driving View Post
Rex,
Check out www.theboardingschool.com and let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Travis
but only if you can deal with waking up to this every morning...

Old     (anketell3)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-06-2014, 6:01 AM Reply   
Highly recommend The Boarding School in Florida. It was the best camp I have ever been to, the coaches are the coolest people you will meet and they will do anything to help progress your riding. The gear they have is top of the line and the boats are awesome. Theres always something fun to do there! Plus its always flat there, never a ripple which is always a plus!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-06-2014, 7:08 AM Reply   
FREEEEEEEEDOM!

www.freedomwakepark.com
Old     (WakeJp12)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-06-2014, 8:46 PM Reply   
Just got back from the boarding school in orlando like a month ago, it was amazing!
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-07-2014, 10:36 AM Reply   
How many total hours did you wakeboard, not ride in the boat, and how many days?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-07-2014, 1:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
Why do you recommend Freedom? What did you enjoy about it? How many times have you been?
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-07-2014, 3:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by anketell3 View Post
Highly recommend The Boarding School in Florida. It was the best camp I have ever been to, the coaches are the coolest people you will meet and they will do anything to help progress your riding. The gear they have is top of the line and the boats are awesome. Theres always something fun to do there! Plus its always flat there, never a ripple which is always a plus!
What other camps have you been to?
Any in TX?
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-08-2014, 7:48 AM Reply   
Freedom - why? Tara and Cobe Mikiacich are two of the coolest people you will ever meet. Private lake and a private cable on that lake. My daughter has spent a week with them three times, tons of one day visits and always has a blast and progresses at her speed.

I have also only heard good thing about the boarding school and from the looks of it their facility is sick - we have just never been.
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-08-2014, 10:49 AM Reply   
another vote for the boarding school. such a cool place!
Old     (anketell3)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-08-2014, 11:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
What other camps have you been to?
Any in TX?
I've been to a few private camps up in the NorthEast, only day camps though.Nothing too exciting about them the coaches were good but they were there more to just teach than to know you personally. At The Boarding School though, the coaches were into learning about you and your style of riding and how to progress it. To learn more about it check out the FAQ's http://www.theboardingschool.com/faq...3-7f7d92c1f397

If you have anymore questions I'll be more than happy to answer them!
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-08-2014, 11:57 AM Reply   
The Boarding School is ALWAYS good (pretty much GLASSY water all round.) The WakeBoard Camp is ALWAYS a favorite (they do a Thursday trip to the OWC and dinner afterwards, but you can opt out and stay behind for another ride in the boat for the evening if you want, plus Lake Minneola stays fairly glassy, heard some GOOD vibes from Freedom as well (and hey getting some tips from the Mikker? what's not to love 'bout that?) biggest diff is probably pricewise between them all if THAT'S a factor for you (The Wakebaord Camp usually has a lower off-peak/off season price) and then distance. As far as fun factor The Boarding School is a top choice. Straight up learning the riding? The Wakeboard Camp (the folks there are pretty cool folks, Billy Park is a blast he'll ALWAYS give you a reason to laugh.) Couldn't tell ya any from Tx or Az. If you wanna try Cali West Coast Camps are a good choice from what I understand.
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-08-2014, 12:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
but only if you can deal with waking up to this every morning...

Ahhh yes the EVER glassy goodness that is the Boarding School's location.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-13-2014, 7:35 PM Reply   
which one for boat only... OWC, McCormick, the wakeboard camp or boarding school?
In what order ?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-14-2014, 4:56 AM Reply   
The Wakeboard Camp or The Boarding School. You can't go wrong with either.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-14-2014, 5:53 AM Reply   
How does Freedom compare?