Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cgilliland)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-19-2014, 6:16 AM Reply   
Does anyone know if it can be retrofitted onto my 2013 SA?
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-19-2014, 9:52 AM Reply   
Nope. Swell is only tailored to the 2014 SA & SC models. I believe it has to do with something directly related to software for boat's electronic/computer systems... and that they want you to buy to upgrade to a '14 model too.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-19-2014, 9:55 AM Reply   
^^ Bingo. Software has been updated to integrate it with swell, and I'm pretty sure the hull has been beefed up where the system attaches too.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-19-2014, 11:01 AM Reply   
Took a page right out of Malibu's Surfgate book. Nope sorry not backwards compatible, please buy a new boat. From what I saw it worked as the local Malibu dealer had a crap load of used 12's that people traded on Surfgate boats. Nautique was only backwards compatible for 1 year due to software.
Old     (cgilliland)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-19-2014, 12:44 PM Reply   
10-4. Thanks. We are rookies so it won't matter initially. Moving up from a small direct drive that wasn't surf friendly so this'll be better.

Seems like you could buy the parts and do it manual operation, but good point about the hull. I actually thought some 13's had it.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-20-2014, 8:37 AM Reply   
LOL, hull upgrades. Malibu tried to claim the same thing but no one has observed any difference in the '12 and '13 hulls. I'm sure there is no difference in the Supra hulls either. It's all about selling new boats.
Old     (mhibbing)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-20-2014, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
LOL, hull upgrades. Malibu tried to claim the same thing but no one has observed any difference in the '12 and '13 hulls. I'm sure there is no difference in the Supra hulls either. It's all about selling new boats.
there is a difference in the hull..be sure to stop by a local dealer and take a look.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-20-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
Whats the difference? So Supra made a brand new boat for a mid year 2013 release and then changed the brand new boat they had only been making for a few months to then add the swell to it? I'm no expert, but that doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure its a safe bet to assume the Swell was in the works long before the SA's were released.
Old     (mhibbing)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-20-2014, 11:36 AM Reply   
After testing it was decided that extra lamination was needed so they added a 4" x 24" piece of trevera for screw retention.
Old     (geterdone)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-20-2014, 1:28 PM Reply   
So basically what you are saying is the hull on the Supra was to thin for the trim tab on the side (swell) to be screwed in to therefore you increase the hull thickness not shape so the screw does not strip out? Just want to make sure I am hearing this right.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-20-2014, 2:22 PM Reply   
Looking at how the swell operates it would seem that it puts an enormous amount of stress on the transom when it is full deployed down. the whole purpose of reversing the actuator design was to get more rang of motion. I can't see any transom that could probably take that stress that was designed specifically for the SWELL system holding up. They design them for their intended load and before the swell the intended load was light so they reinforced it to make it strong for the higher load the swell will cause. I don't see the problem here.
Old     (mhibbing)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-21-2014, 7:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
Looking at how the swell operates it would seem that it puts an enormous amount of stress on the transom when it is full deployed down. the whole purpose of reversing the actuator design was to get more rang of motion. I can't see any transom that could probably take that stress that was designed specifically for the SWELL system holding up. They design them for their intended load and before the swell the intended load was light so they reinforced it to make it strong for the higher load the swell will cause. I don't see the problem here.
Couldn't of said it better myself
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-23-2014, 10:24 AM Reply   
Well the approach worked and I traded in my 13 SA for a 14.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-23-2014, 12:41 PM Reply   
its a simple system just fancy trim tabs. It might not integrate with the computer but im sure you could do it as a stand alone system.
Attached Images