Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-03-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
Anyone thought about putting in wood instead of carpet? I think this is either fake wood or possibly some thin teak or something. I was thinking you could put it on top of a fiberglass swim platform also like you would with hydroturf. Here is a picture of what I am thinking about...

Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-03-2010, 10:32 PM Reply   
Check out the Enzo in this thread on page 3 I think. http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777041
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-04-2010, 1:08 AM Reply   
That is nice - the enzo.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-04-2010, 4:14 AM Reply   
If done right, it would had a level of class to your boat unlike anyone has ever seen. But, I hate the maintenance I have to do on just my platform, much less have to keep up the boat floor as well.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-04-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
Floors are a little easier to keep nice because they are not out in thr weather 24/7 and not being pulled around in the water all the time.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-04-2010, 5:48 PM Reply   
I was wondering if you could make a floating floor out of that wood. Leave some soft backing on it. It could go on top of carpet also. It would be nice to be able to pull it out, clean it up and let it dry like removable carpet.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-05-2010, 5:35 AM Reply   
How about the wood looking SeaDek? http://seadekblog.blogspot.com/2009/...-castaway.html
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-05-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
That is a 2004 or 2005 Chris Craft Launch 25. It is real teak, but it is caulked into a nonskid surface. I can't remember the name right now of the company that does it, but it is not as expensive as one might expect.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-05-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
The swim deck

http://www.castawaycustoms.com/category/faux-teak/
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-05-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
Do a google search for PLASTEAK, and/or SYNTHETIC TEAK DACKING. You will find several options are avaialble, and they can all be darned good looking. There is even a marine carpet you can buy that is striped in such a manner it looks like a seamed wood floor. Doral uses it in their boats, and I have some in my sailboat and one of my old woodies.

For any installation, prep work is the key. You might call several of the companies that look appeaking to you in your search, tell them what you have, and what you are considering; they will point you down a path to a reliable isntall if you choose to do it.

If you go for it, post pics! Wood flooring can look SO nice!

Phil
Kicker
Attached Images

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-05-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
I was thinking just the opposite. Some nice orange shag carpeting from the 70's. That would be plush and it would take the same amount of work to keep looking good as teak.

I would stick to plastic not real teak. Teak oil on the floor would be a mess.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-05-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
I just want to say that it seems like wood flooring would be slippery as heck when it gets wet. You could probably put like a clear coating of some sort over it with non-slip grit though. As for me, I'll just stick with carpet.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-05-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
Phil, your boats all look sweet.
Old    Syn1            04-05-2010, 9:50 PM Reply   
Cole. I put a fiber floor ( cherry wood ) in my 07 Epic 23 V the day after it was delivered. It isnt slippery has great feel under your feet etc. I haven't ran into any problems with it. Anthony
Attached Images

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-05-2010, 11:50 PM Reply   
Anthony, I have seen your boat online somewhere a while ago (if it is the same one I am thinking of). That is a wood wrap right? Looks great. I am just getting opinions here. I just sold my Crownline a couple of months ago and am doing some research this summer so I can buy a wakeboard boat in the spring - first year without a boat in a very long time and it is killing me. I am in Phoenix and am wondering if the wood gets hot. I would guess that real wood might, but how about that faux wood? I think if I end up doing it, that would be the route I would take. I imagine you could get different shades, thickness', patterns. I think it would be cool to see it in a diagnal pattern or break it up. Maybe get a custom sign inlaid with the boat manufacture name or something. Carpet is great, but gets dirty, is usually hard to replace, gets dirty, hot in the desert no matter what color it is, and did I mention gets dirty? Can you tell I got tired of vacuuming my carpet. I like the idea of having just white fiberglass on the floor, but not the look of it over time.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       04-06-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
I think what Anthony used was Tarket Fiberfloor. It is basically a "loose lay" sheet vinyl. It is similar to a vinyl floor except it has a fiberglass cushion back. It's available at most flooring stores and sells at between $15- $30 a square yard. Tarket also makes it in a couple camo patterns and a diamond plate pattern that I thought would look pretty cool in a boat.

http://www.tarkettna.com/en/Products...6/Default.aspx

http://www.tarkettna.com/Default.asp...d=79&sku=38082
Old    Syn1            04-06-2010, 11:45 PM Reply   
Cole, Kirk is correct it is a lose lay type of flooring. As far as the feel under your feet, its great. It will get warm just like your viny interior will if exposed to direct sun light. I havent had any slips in my boat and it can get pretty crazy in there from time to time hahaha. Kirk is also right about different styles of this type of flooring. Good luck with your future boat purchase.
Old    Syn1            04-06-2010, 11:52 PM Reply   
Cole the wood grain was in automotive paint/ air brushing. No wrap here.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       04-08-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
Anthony,
Did you loose lay it or did you glue or install snaps to keep it down? I was thinking of doing this in my boat as well and my only concern is with it coming up when trailering.
Old    Syn1            04-11-2010, 10:46 PM Reply   
@ Kirk. I did use glue to hold it down. It took alot of perp work to do it right but the end result was well worth it. Although I'm planning on ripping it out and adding 2 wood strips to the (same style) top side of the flooring. just for an added accent. The only other route I would take is an eva material for the floring. As far as comfort is concerend. If you can find the right design your looking for that is.