Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            04-08-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
Place the alignment tool INTO the aluminum guide - it's a tight fit. Then place the alignment tool over the marks I drew on the foam. Then remove the tool, leaving the guide in the proper location to cut the fin box holes.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            04-08-2010, 8:27 PM Reply   
Place the collar over the router, in this picture you can see the step in the collar is down in the picture, it will UP away from the cut. This cuts the deep channel for the base in the box.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            04-08-2010, 8:31 PM Reply   
To cut the flange, flip the collar and run the step in the collar all around the outside of the guide. I didn't get a picture, but there is an OFFSET inside the collar that adjusts the depth of the cut - set the depth for the deepest part, then when the collar is flipped over, the depth of the flange is already set.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            04-08-2010, 8:34 PM Reply   
Test fitting the boxes and then after the epoxy has been poured into the holes, I place a set of fins in the boxes to make sure the cant is correct for both fins.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            04-08-2010, 8:37 PM Reply   
That completes the installation of the boxes. To prepare for laminating the bottom, I tape the set screw hole and base opeing in the boxes. After the lamination, that will be ground off.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            04-08-2010, 8:39 PM Reply   
I have a piece of 4 oz S glass cut and ready for wet out.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            04-09-2010, 7:45 PM Reply   
Every well outfitted backyard shop needs a stealth shop bunny.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            04-09-2010, 7:48 PM Reply   
I like to smooth out the glass, by hand, before pouring on the resin, this typically will turn up any debris or bugs crawling around.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            04-09-2010, 8:01 PM Reply   
No good pictures, but I poured the epoxy onto the glas and then push it around to soak into the glass. The epoxy tends to foam if worked too much, so it's mostly pull once and leave it. I pulle the epoxy over the rails, wetting them. Then flip and lam the laps on the deck side. The rails look nice, I didn't good pictures, but the two pictures give an idea.
Attached Images

Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-11-2010, 6:51 AM Reply   
As usual great job SD but how do you have so much time during tax time ???
Old    surfdad            04-11-2010, 7:01 AM Reply   
Thanks Kona - long time no see. How have you been? In response to your question: employees.
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-11-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
Ha ha. LG.I have been skiing all winter finished up yesterday now I need to get the boat out of storage.
Old    surfdad            04-11-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
Good for you! We've been snowboarding "almost" every weekend, we haven't had this much snow in years.

Both the top and bottom are laminated, I need to grind the boxes open. As folks can see in the first picture, the deck and botto are white. I believe it's paint, which I'll do before hotcoating. I'd love to do a black pinline between the white and wood.

I'm liking the visible wood on the rails.
Attached Images

Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2010, 7:03 PM Reply   
Only one layer of glass on the top and the bottom to finish it off? Can't wait for the paint job!!
Old    surfdad            04-12-2010, 7:11 PM Reply   
Yeah - it doesn't need as much. The high density foam prevents the heel dents, and stiffness comes from structure, not so much the materials. Separating the two layers of fiberglass by 3mm, gives it the needed rigidity.

ahhhh my infamous painting...Just a simple white this time!
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
I know one of the things you look at is weight, how does this board compare to others you have built! HD foam seems like the way to go!
Old    surfdad            04-12-2010, 8:43 PM Reply   
This board is right at 4 pounds. That's my goal on most of the boards. I've built to under 3 pounds, but that's not practical. Above 5 pounds takes a concerted effort to add weight. HD foam is certainly a viable option for building light, rigid and ding resistant.
Old    surfdad            04-13-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
Rails taped off and primer on the deck.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            04-14-2010, 7:45 PM Reply   
First coat of white. I've used appliance epoxt spray paint, I've found this does well under a hoatcoat.
Attached Images

Old    Chaserwaser            04-16-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
i am so impressed by this post you are doing such an amazing job and your going to be so proud of it once it is done
Old     (Cyoda44)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-16-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
Awsome build. I can't wait to see your finished "Art"
Old    surfdad            04-16-2010, 8:28 PM Reply   
Thanks Chase and Charlie and thanks for following along. This "art" will just be solid white, I'm trying to duplicate the original board - but I am sure I can screw up solid white

Primer on the bottom.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            04-19-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
Almost done! Love my workbench!
Attached Images

Old    Chaserwaser            04-21-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
blah solid white? at least do some sticker art on it or something haha that piece is to amazing not to make it your "own" check out www.endlesssummertattoo.com and check out the owners drawings / paintings he does on his surfboards there sick.. get creative!

Old    surfdad            04-21-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
If I could draw like THAT! I'd do inspirational stuff tooooooooooooo.
Old    surfdad            04-21-2010, 7:45 PM Reply   
Hotcoat on the deck - beautiful view of my outdoor workbench
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            04-23-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
Hotcoat on the bottom.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            04-29-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
Finally done, except to apply traction. I threw my back out over the weekend and have basically been sitting on a heating pad for a week!
Attached Images

Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-30-2010, 6:41 AM Reply   
Very Nice Jeff, and Sorry to hear about your back, you are going to have to get out behind that boat to streatch it back out. At least I am sure that is what the doctors would say ;-) Once you get the traction on, can you take a closer pic of the board and the rails? Good luck with you back! Jon T
Old    surfdad            04-30-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
Thanks Jon and for the sympathy too! LOL - yes alternating stretching and then soaking in cold water up to my neck! After I get the traction on I'll try and remember to snap a quick picture of the rails up close and personal. The wood is a really good look.

I have a fire to put out on a mold I'm building, I didn't get out to laminate the first few layers of 'glass because of my stupid back and my flanges curled up! Reminded me of that scene from the Wizard of 'Oz when the house lands on the WW of the W when the ruby slippers are removed.
Attached Images

Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-01-2010, 12:23 AM Reply   
ARE... YOU.... ****TING.... ME???

Wow, impressive dude!!
Old    surfdad            05-03-2010, 6:54 PM Reply   
Thanks jd - you must be referring to my outdoor workbench!

I tried to get pictures of the rails up close, but all I did was provide further proof why I am NOT a professional photographer. I'll try it again.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            05-03-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
So we got a chance to ride it yesterday - it was so windy that it was hard to ride - going into the wind was like being in a rainstorm from the sprag from the boat.

I didn't like the tail shape, the square tail is just not my favorite.

It was plenty fast, and light enough you could toss it around, but it wasn't "alive". I think that much wood on the rails just made it "dull", like it was too stiff along the perimeter and actually transfered flex to the center.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            05-03-2010, 7:04 PM Reply   
It was plenty loose and drivey, just not "magic".
Attached Images

Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-04-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
Sweet, glad your back is all good, and that you got to get out and ride the board. I would not worry about the pictures, but maybe a pic that is not so close up would be good. Just an overall look of the board. If not no problem, to bad the board isn't what you expected. How do you know that you don't like how the tail feels? I guess I need to ride more.

PS, This board has to be 150% better than any board I have built!!
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-04-2010, 8:28 PM Reply   
hey jeff ,has green peace come knocking on the door yet...
Old    surfdad            05-05-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
@ dj - over my wakesurf building? nah - but they did have an issue with my "baby seal clubs - 4 sale" website JOKE!!!!

@ Jon - I'll try and snap a picture or two over the weekend. My back is still bugging, just not enough to keep me off the board. Those square'ish corners felt like they grabbed in turns and off the top. Not that such a tail is bad, I just didn't care for it. Thanks for following along, Jon.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-12-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
Great job Jeff. Thanks for sharing.
Old    surfdad            05-12-2010, 4:54 PM Reply   
Petr, my friend! It's been so long since we've seen you! How are things in CZ? Thank you for your kind words.